Schiit Audio Bifrost 2
Mar 30, 2020 at 1:35 PM Post #841 of 4,957
Mar 30, 2020 at 1:46 PM Post #842 of 4,957
Reduce the system volume or run Equalizer APO to reduce gain level.
Sadly (at least on Mac OS), the Unison USB adapter shows up as not supporting system volume, so my computer disables volume controls. Same thing when I select the DAC as exclusive use in Tidal - it detects that it doesn't support volume and disables Tidal's volume control as well.

Mar 30, 2020 at 1:49 PM Post #843 of 4,957
Sadly (at least on Mac OS), the Unison USB adapter shows up as not supporting system volume, so my computer disables volume controls. Same thing when I select the DAC as exclusive use in Tidal - it detects that it doesn't support volume and disables Tidal's volume control as well.

On Windows 10 this is definitely not the case, and I can't but wonder whether the behavior you describe on MacOS is actually intended.

Mar 30, 2020 at 2:09 PM Post #844 of 4,957

You should write to Schiit support and find out if this behavior is normal. They probably want to know which MacOS version you have and any lighting / USB dock if you're using one.

Mar 30, 2020 at 2:31 PM Post #845 of 4,957
You should write to Schiit support and find out if this behavior is normal. They probably want to know which MacOS version you have and any lighting / USB dock if you're using one.
Not a Unison USB issue. It is what Tidal does and the same thing happens with any other DAC. Turn exclusive mode off so you can turn down the volume, or use something like iFi IEMatch which is designed exactly for this situation.

Mar 30, 2020 at 3:50 PM Post #846 of 4,957
Not a Unison USB issue. It is what Tidal does and the same thing happens with any other DAC. Turn exclusive mode off so you can turn down the volume, or use something like iFi IEMatch which is designed exactly for this situation.
Ah, interesting - it's both a Unison and a Tidal issue. Setting it to not use exclusive mode does indeed let me turn down Tidal's volume independently which is useful. Alas the system volume is still set static, so for apps without their own in-app volume control, I'm stuck with the really, really high volume. Thank you for the fix on Tidal at least :)

Per the suggestion from @AudioProm I'll contact Schiit to see if they have any suggestions for the OS-wide volume control.

Mar 31, 2020 at 10:09 AM Post #847 of 4,957
Schiit replied and confirmed this is expected:

"Properly implemented audio drivers that take over mac core audio will all work like this."

For now I'll just reduce the volume in Tidal and be happy. I might also experiment with SoundSource which someone else mentioned as a potential way to control different devices/apps volumes on a Mac, although I have no idea if it reduces sound quality or not.

Mar 31, 2020 at 10:51 AM Post #848 of 4,957
If you want volume control in exclusive mode (which IIRC the Tidal application already enabled on Windows, but it's been a while), Audirvana does provide it. They have a trial period so it might be worth a shot?

Apr 2, 2020 at 11:05 AM Post #849 of 4,957
...I might also experiment with SoundSource which someone else mentioned as a potential way to control different devices/apps volumes on a Mac, although I have no idea if it reduces sound quality or not.
Update: SoundSource is perfection! It allows system-wide, and per-app volume control, as well as routing different apps to different sound devices if they don't support it natively like Tidal or Audirvana does. I can't hear any degradation in quality, and now that I've set the master volume for the Bifrost 2 device to ~50% volume in SoundSource, I can take full advantage of the Asgard 2's volume controls. You can also set per-app effects and EQ, although I haven't messed with that stuff much as I usually prefer flat EQ.

Screen Shot 2020-04-02 at 12.51.01 PM.png

Highly recommended for anyone facing the same problem I am with sensitive IEMs on a Mac!

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2020 at 12:28 PM Post #850 of 4,957
I have a question I hope all you experts can answer for me. I have a bifrost 2 coming and I will connect it by spdf to my computer. I have another bifrost multibit that i want to run beside it. Can I connect the second dac with xlr to rca cables.Both will have a Lyr 3 on top of them. Is it ok to chain them together like that?

Apr 14, 2020 at 12:32 PM Post #851 of 4,957
I have a question I hope all you experts can answer for me. I have a bifrost 2 coming and I will connect it by spdf to my computer. I have another bifrost multibit that i want to run beside it. Can I connect the second dac with xlr to rca cables.Both will have a Lyr 3 on top of them. Is it ok to chain them together like that?
If you are talking about connecting the DACs to each other, no that won't work. Neither of them have analog inputs. Only outputs.

Apr 14, 2020 at 1:02 PM Post #852 of 4,957
You can use two DAC's with one amp using something like the Schiit SYS

Apr 14, 2020 at 1:59 PM Post #854 of 4,957
Assuming RCA S/PDIF coax out, have you tried RCA splitter cables to Y off of the computer to the 2x DACs? A Schiit SYS switch will also work as 1-to-2 or 2-to-1 switcher since it is fully passive.

Apr 14, 2020 at 10:46 PM Post #855 of 4,957
Assuming RCA S/PDIF coax out, have you tried RCA splitter cables to Y off of the computer to the 2x DACs? A Schiit SYS switch will also work as 1-to-2 or 2-to-1 switcher since it is fully passive.
That is the way I'll go I guess. Just need the 2and lyr 3 and then I can have the input to both to do some testing fun. By the way been having fun listening to some British Big Band stuff.. Quality on them are special.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back