Schiit Audio Bifrost 2
Feb 25, 2020 at 2:47 AM Post #601 of 4,957
My post wasn’t clear. I’d want a hub so I don’t have to unplug the Mac mini every time I connect my phone or iPad. Not sure if that works but worth a try. Having an iPad permanently connected might be nice.
But what would be re rationale behind this? Usually people use iPad w/CCK to isolate the end point from the network, the power etc. In your case, you connect end point to USB hub, which still can bring all possible noise from other devices connected to it. I doubt there are any advantages in terms of SQ then.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2020 at 5:33 AM Post #602 of 4,957
Last weekend I traveled back to Italy for a surprise visit to the family.

My father's into audio as much as I am, and he owns a very respectable home theater setup, so I decided to bring by my Bifrost 2 to try it out in his system.

There wasn't too much time for it, so we couldn't really run any comparisons between the Bifrost 2 and his heavily modded OPPO BDP-105EU—but we did go through a number of my albums in FLAC and there were a few surprises.

First thing's first, the audio chain.

We used the OPPO BDP-105EU as a digital transport, feeding the Bifrost 2 via SPDIF.

The Bifrost 2 was hooked to dad's heavily modded Krell HTS 7.1 via balanced interconnects, and from there to a Krell TAS amplifier also via balanced interconnects. For those of you into cables, the interconnects were all van den Hul Thunderline, and speaker cables were van den Hul The Nova. Speakers were a pair of Dynaudio Confidence C2 (the older, better-looking series shown in this video.)

The room is relatively large (about 40 square meters) with some room treatments. Going by memory from when the room treatments were made, deep bass response was much better than average but the rest of the spectrum could use additional correction. Regardless, the whole setup is very satisfying to listen to.

So how did it go?

• It had been a long time since I last listened to proper speakers and holy cow, is it vastly superior to headphones. Yeah, I know what you're thinking: This should go without saying. I still dropped my jaw and wished I didn't live in a small apartment with thin walls...
  • The albums I thought would sound the best, didn't.
    • I own three Guns N' Roses albums in their Mobile Fidelity incarnation, whose analog-to-digital conversion was handled by Mike's GAIN system. Because the GAIN system is essentially a True Multibit product in reverse, I was expecting these albums to blow everything else out of the water when played back through a True Multibit DAC. However, while they did sound pretty good, they weren't the best of the best.
  • Albums I thought sounded very good were just good.
    • I'm talking Avenged Sevenfold's "The Stage" (2016), Carcass's "Heartwork" (Full Dynamic Range edition; 2013), and Omnium Gatherum's "The Burning Cold" (HDTracks; 2018)
  • Albums I thought sounded good weren't that good in the end.
    • Especially the HDTracks release of Insomnium's "Heart Like A Grave" (2019). Having a higher DR score couldn't save this one.
  • Albums I thought were good turned out to be jaw-dropping.
    • I'm talking top of the class: Iron Maiden's "Fear of the Dark" (Australasian digipack) slayed everything else with its perfect clarity, amazing drum sound, punch, and sound stage. A veritable demo disc. Runner-up was the recent re-release of Avenged Sevenfold's "Diamonds in the Rough" I purchased on HDTracks. Really good punch and clarity on this one—much more than I perceived through my cans. My DVD-Audio rip of Deep Purple's "Machine Head" also sounded much better through speakers than it did through headphones, and was up there with these two and the GNR albums.
All in all, I was surprised not only by how big a difference it makes to listen through floorstanders, but also by how differently I perceived the sound quality of various albums compared to headphones. I can tell the difference between a good and a bad recording on my chain (Bifrost 2 -> Asgard 3 -> Focal Elegia equalized to the Harman Target Curve), but it's never quite as apparent as it was through my father's setup using the same files and DAC. I used to like the sound on Avenged Sevenfold's "The Stage" better than on "Diamonds in the Rough", but it was the complete opposite on my father's chain.

I wish we could have spent more time listening to different albums and even comparing the same album on the Bifrost 2 vs the OPPO. Maybe next time. Until then, I hope this was an entertaining read :)

Feb 26, 2020 at 1:02 PM Post #603 of 4,957
Does Tidal play via exclusive mode when using the Bifrost 2 via usb? I don’t wanna deal with drivers that are not already present in Windows 10. The built in AK4490 module on the Asgard 3 won’t allow Tidal to use it via exclusive mode.

Also, doesn’t the controller control volume?

Feb 26, 2020 at 1:08 PM Post #604 of 4,957
Yes. Unison USB in BF2 allows exclusive mode WASAPI with Windows 10 via a native Windows driver.

DAC and therefore Remote has no volume control function. You can switch inputs, mute and change phase with remote -- nothing more.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2020 at 2:45 PM Post #606 of 4,957
Yes. Unison USB in BF2 allows exclusive mode WASAPI with Windows 10 via a native Windows driver.

DAC and therefore Remote has no volume control function. You can switch inputs, mute and change phase with remote -- nothing more.

So Tidal can use exclusive mode. That's good :) It's very weird that Schiit didn't implement volume control for a unit at this price point. I'm still considering a couple other dacs aside from the Bifrost 2; the new revision of the RME ADI-2 and the Denafrips Ares II. If I'm buying an expensive dac, I might as well get a very decent one.

Feb 26, 2020 at 2:49 PM Post #607 of 4,957
Yes - Tidal definitely supports exclusive mode.

Looks like you have your work cut out for you with selecting between Bifrost 2 and the others. They are all excellent DACs.

Feb 26, 2020 at 4:03 PM Post #609 of 4,957
So Tidal can use exclusive mode. That's good :) It's very weird that Schiit didn't implement volume control for a unit at this price point. I'm still considering a couple other dacs aside from the Bifrost 2; the new revision of the RME ADI-2 and the Denafrips Ares II.
Not weird at all that Bifrost doesn't have volume control. It is a DAC-only, not a combined DAC+preamp. Denafrips Ares II is also only a DAC and doesn't have volume control either. On the other hand, RME ADI-2 is an all-in-one unit combining DAC, preamp, and headphone amplifier.

Feb 26, 2020 at 4:08 PM Post #610 of 4,957
Not weird at all that Bifrost doesn't have volume control. It is a DAC-only, not a combined DAC+preamp. Denafrips Ares II is also only a DAC and doesn't have volume control either. On the other hand, RME ADI-2 is an all-in-one unit combining DAC, preamp, and headphone amplifier.

I wanted an R2R dac with the functionality of the ADI2. Any suggestions up to usd1300?

Feb 26, 2020 at 4:20 PM Post #612 of 4,957
Lol so basically Adi2 price? Doesn't exist man,

I'm struggling to think of an R2R DAC with volume in this price range as well. I don't think there is. From my viewpoint - which I'm more of a purist and is likely shared by most people here - thank god the Bifrost 2 does NOT have a volume control.

Feb 26, 2020 at 4:34 PM Post #614 of 4,957
Well, according to Jason's post - Night and day? No. But according to Mike, it'll grow on you over time. :beyersmile:

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2020 at 4:41 PM Post #615 of 4,957
I'm struggling to think of an R2R DAC with volume in this price range as well. I don't think there is. From my viewpoint - which I'm more of a purist and is likely shared by most people here - thank god the Bifrost 2 does NOT have a volume control.

I didn’t know it was the pre amp on dacs that did the volume control. I just went into Schiit’s website and saw all their pre amps carrying controllers with volume control. I also wrongly thought that the Bifrost 2 used the R2R ladder design. The ADI2 looks cool and all, but won’t differ much in sound from other dacs with a good implementation of delta sigma chips. Hummmmmm, I don’t like making decisions for myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back