Schiit Audio Bifrost 2
Sep 19, 2023 at 8:49 PM Post #4,576 of 4,957
I'm glad you gave it the time needed to reveal what 2/64 is truly capable of producing. I have both an OG and a 2/64 upgraded BF2 and I love them both with OG excelling when paired with my Hifiman Arya v1 HPs and 2/64 excelling with my 2 channel/speaker rig. Burn-in and Synergy are REAL!! A true case of patience being rewarded. :wink:

Sep 20, 2023 at 6:58 AM Post #4,577 of 4,957
I'm glad you gave it the time needed to reveal what 2/64 is truly capable of producing. I have both an OG and a 2/64 upgraded BF2 and I love them both with OG excelling when paired with my Hifiman Arya v1 HPs and 2/64 excelling with my 2 channel/speaker rig. Burn-in and Synergy are REAL!! A true case of patience being rewarded. :wink:
I couldn’t agree with you more. Thanks for that, Ripper!

Burn-in and synergy are part of what makes this hobby so painful but so much fun.
Will see how this goes with my dedicated Roon kit, once setup.

Sep 29, 2023 at 5:56 PM Post #4,579 of 4,957
Which brands of short (3ft) USB-C to USB-B cables do you use?
Fwiw, I've found Cable Creation USB cables to be pretty reliable, though I wouldn't even know how to critique them for sound quality. I think Schiit (or is it conventional wisdom?) doesn't recommend cables longer than 6ft for USB audio, and I can use my DAP as a source feeding the BF2 with their 10ft USB cable, which tells me (at the very least) the wire doesn't suck. It's a printer cable but they advertise it for use with MIDI equipment also. I know isn't the same thing as USB audio, but that's the reason I picked them over the hundreds of other cables for sale on amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09F9F4TKZ

Sep 29, 2023 at 7:25 PM Post #4,580 of 4,957
Fwiw, I've found Cable Creation USB cables to be pretty reliable, though I wouldn't even know how to critique them for sound quality. I think Schiit (or is it conventional wisdom?) doesn't recommend cables longer than 6ft for USB audio, and I can use my DAP as a source feeding the BF2 with their 10ft USB cable, which tells me (at the very least) the wire doesn't suck. It's a printer cable but they advertise it for use with MIDI equipment also. I know isn't the same thing as USB audio, but that's the reason I picked them over the hundreds of other cables for sale on amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09F9F4TKZ
FWIW, that's the one (black, 3.3 ft) I use to connect a Macbook Pro directly to my BF 2/64 since receiving the latter early August. Zero issues.

Sep 30, 2023 at 1:01 AM Post #4,581 of 4,957

Currently using the Susvaras and I NEVER ever felt BF2 OG (now I switched to MCB for more brilliance in the treble for Susvara) held it back in the tonality, bass impact, resolution, layering, holographic imaging and speed. Still the endgame DAC to me.

Oct 9, 2023 at 8:03 PM Post #4,582 of 4,957
When I upgraded my Bifrost2 to a Pontus 12th I moved it to office headphone system. It is an Aegis tube amp with HD800s pretty revealing setup. I upgraded my Allo bridge to Denafrips Arse on my main system. I was using an Iris dds on the Pontus but when I installed the Arse it already has I2s out so I moved the Iris to the Bifrost2 using the AES port instead of the usb. I was greatly surprised of the improvement to the Bifrost2, I was thinking of upgrading it but it sounds so much better I am holding off a while and looking for headphone upgrade.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2023 at 12:37 AM Post #4,583 of 4,957
When I upgraded my Bifrost2 to a Pontus 12th I moved it to office headphone system. It is an Aegis tube amp with HD800s pretty revealing setup. I upgraded my Allo bridge to Denafrips Arse on my main system. I was using an Iris dds on the Pontus but when I installed the Arse it already has I2s out so I moved the Iris to the Bifrost2 using the AES port instead of the usb. I was greatly surprised of the improvement to the Bifrost2, I was thinking of upgrading it but it sounds so much better I am holding off a while and looking for headphone upgrade.
That's good to hear. Thanks!

Oct 10, 2023 at 12:48 AM Post #4,584 of 4,957
I am not sure if it is the more precise clocking or better galvic isolation but the Bifrost2/64 sounded a little cold and bright to my ears ( compared to before I upgraded the dac to 2/64) The dds feeding the AES input made for a more relaxed listening experience.

Oct 10, 2023 at 12:48 AM Post #4,585 of 4,957
Bifrost2 with AES input port, how to feed AES to Bifrost2?

Oct 10, 2023 at 9:08 AM Post #4,589 of 4,957
I guess I am using a Topping D10s as a DDC to my Bifrost as a budget solution, after all it has an ES 9038 as used in the $350 Audioquest Cobalt yet it costs less than $100. The Modi uses a 9018, the Modius and Bluesound Node X a 9028 so its a real bargain. I am replacing my Schiit Eitr by ordering another D10s. Other sonic improvements are I ditched Tidal (a hodgepodge of formats ) for Qobuz, use the USB out of the Bluesound (beware that eliminates the digital volume control so you will need a Schiit Sys or preamp if you are using a power amp). The D10s is so jitter free even my Primal Luna high distortion integrated tube amp sounds more consistent song to song. The 2nd D10s will go in front of an old Modi off the Bluesound. Why Bluesound can't deliver volume control out the USB port like Audirvana can, I don't know. I don't see it in next weeks Bluesound software update either.

Oct 10, 2023 at 9:15 AM Post #4,590 of 4,957
I see, thanks! BIFROST2 Coaxial interface sound quality is better than Unison, it is for sure.
You are not the first person that has stated the sound quality is better when using coaxial. I am contemplating buying the below picture of a converter (USB to coaxial) from Amazon to use the coaxial input on my Bifrost 2/64. Any other receommendations for a USB to coaxial converter? Not ready to part with $548 USD for the Denafrips IRIS.
usb to coaxial.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back