Schiit Audio Bifrost 2
Sep 9, 2023 at 11:14 PM Post #4,561 of 4,957
When swapping between NOS and MCB on OG bifrost 2 is there a reboot of the DAC required ? I have updated the firmware a long time ago and always wondered if I could just freely swap back and forth without a reboot. Sometimes I can't tell if It's working correctly even with the light show on or off.

Sep 10, 2023 at 2:40 AM Post #4,562 of 4,957
When swapping between NOS and MCB on OG bifrost 2 is there a reboot of the DAC required ? I have updated the firmware a long time ago and always wondered if I could just freely swap back and forth without a reboot. Sometimes I can't tell if It's working correctly even with the light show on or off.

I'm using the og card in my bifrost2/64 and yes you can switch from nos and mcb back and forth without reboot. The light will pulse when its in NOS mode and stay solid when in MCB mode.

Sep 10, 2023 at 6:37 PM Post #4,563 of 4,957
Question for anyone using one of the brackets you can get from Etsy to stack a bifrost and another Schiit device. I was thinking of getting one just to raise the Bifrost up off my desk itself, just wondering if they would be stable still, I don't want to stack anything on top of the Bifrost actually. Was thinking of this unit linked but I only see people stacking 2 devices. I tried some rubber feet off Amazon but it kept sliding off as I use my mouse or turned off the Bifrost.
https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/126...414a-ba62-d3818fcd890c&organic_search_click=1

Sep 11, 2023 at 6:14 AM Post #4,564 of 4,957
Question for anyone using one of the brackets you can get from Etsy to stack a bifrost and another Schiit device. I was thinking of getting one just to raise the Bifrost up off my desk itself, just wondering if they would be stable still, I don't want to stack anything on top of the Bifrost actually. Was thinking of this unit linked but I only see people stacking 2 devices. I tried some rubber feet off Amazon but it kept sliding off as I use my mouse or turned off the Bifrost.
https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/126...414a-ba62-d3818fcd890c&organic_search_click=1
I have them. There are connectors whereby you can attach the stacking brackets to the schiit hardware directly. Doesn't slip...

Good luck

Leo

Sep 11, 2023 at 6:31 AM Post #4,565 of 4,957
I have these as well. As @Luckyleo mentioned, you mount one bracket on top of one component and the other sits securely on top. As long as the holes are in the same position, I can't see why you can't bolt the bracket to the bottom of the bifrost. Ask the seller, they are 3D printed. Maybe he can modify them.

Sep 12, 2023 at 12:08 PM Post #4,567 of 4,957
Better for my wallet to turn it off. Plus, am just not a proponent of wasting electricity, even if it were to (ever-so-slightly) adversely affect the device's longevity.
Not just longevity (and not just "ever-so-slightly"), sound quality too. Don't have 20 bucks a year?

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2023 at 1:08 PM Post #4,568 of 4,957
Thanks guys, you made me pull my Eitr off the shelf and hook it to a Modi I brought back from the cottage for the winter. Its in my main system and I am amazed at how good it sounds. Tomorrow I will move the pair upstairs to the Bluesound and bring my Bifrost back down to the main listening room. Can we convince Schiit to reintroduce the Eitr to get our legacy products back in use?
Well I did what I said I would above and after a few days I took a Topping D10s off the shelf and realized it could do USB to SPDIF conversion same as Eitr so I looked up reviews and stumbled on Darkos Topping D10s vs Schiit Modi who in the end declared putting the 2 together sounded great. Topping for no jitter, lots of detail, Schiit for added body. This sounds great now attached to the Bluesound Node. So the Eitr went downstairs to be connected to the Bifrost (with the Unison USB upgrade) and yes I agree it sounds slightly smoother than the Unison USB in the Bifrost. This from a Mac Mini through Audirvana Studio streaming Qobuz. I hereby declare the Topping D10s a worthy successor to the Eitr when connected to older Schiit.

Sep 18, 2023 at 7:49 AM Post #4,569 of 4,957
Hello all.

Been following and Loving this ongoing thread throughout the iterations of the Bifrost 2.

I’m in a similar situation to a lot of you here. Running an all tube system with speakers.
Rogue Stereo 100 dark and Totem Tribe towers with a Croft preamp.

I have the B2 OG and took the plunge on the new 2/64 card. I love the sound of the OG but wanted to try something different.

It had only been in the system since Thursday but so far, it’s not been wowing me. Feels
Very flat and thin compared to the OG . Is there a warmup period for the new board, as well? I waited 72 hours after my initial start up and it’s better but not exceptional

Just some background: mine is on 24/7, and I am a firm believer in warm up time and break-in time. I know there are varying opinions out here on this approach.

Thanks in advance :)

Sep 18, 2023 at 8:35 AM Post #4,570 of 4,957
Hello all.

Been following and Loving this ongoing thread throughout the iterations of the Bifrost 2.

I’m in a similar situation to a lot of you here. Running an all tube system with speakers.
Rogue Stereo 100 dark and Totem Tribe towers with a Croft preamp.

I have the B2 OG and took the plunge on the new 2/64 card. I love the sound of the OG but wanted to try something different.

It had only been in the system since Thursday but so far, it’s not been wowing me. Feels
Very flat and thin compared to the OG . Is there a warmup period for the new board, as well? I waited 72 hours after my initial start up and it’s better but not exceptional

Just some background: mine is on 24/7, and I am a firm believer in warm up time and break-in time. I know there are varying opinions out here on this approach.

Thanks in advance :)
This is a tough one because our expectations often leave us initially disappointed, and I can see how that might be the case if you loved the OG 2 and had high hopes for the 2/64.

If you're not pressed to meet the return window it may be best to just let the 2/64 play in your system for about a week and let all things (electronics and brain) settle in. Once your current config with the 2/64 becomes the "new normal", swap the OG 2 card back in and see how it sounds.

For me on first blush I found the 2/64 a bit flat and listless. As time went on I found that both ends of the frequency range felt more extended, and that what I was observing was a less prominent middle section. The OG 2 seemingly had a lusher, more full mid-emphasis to it, but on swapping back I found the OG 2 was lacking the top and bottom definition that the 2/64 was bringing into the system. I ultimately kept the 2/64, but still hold onto the OG 2 card (just in case).

So maybe the 2/64 feels flatter and a bit listless due to opening up a fuller range ... or maybe it's just flatter in your particular system. And maybe the OG 2 is a mid-centric lushness monster. There's a lot at play with system synergy and other room acoustics that can sometimes make it hard to pin down exactly.

But if you've got the time (and the patience) just let the 2/64 do it's thing for a while, let your ear adjust to it, and then swap back.

[edit]
- Forgot to mention, do also play a bit with NOS mode (when the LED is slowly "breathing")
- Some find it more engaging, others less, but it is an option with the latest firmware for both the OG 2 and 2/64 cards
- Personally I prefer the MCB, but to each their own
:beerchug:

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2023 at 12:05 PM Post #4,571 of 4,957
This is a tough one because our expectations often leave us initially disappointed, and I can see how that might be the case if you loved the OG 2 and had high hopes for the 2/64.

If you're not pressed to meet the return window it may be best to just let the 2/64 play in your system for about a week and let all things (electronics and brain) settle in. Once your current config with the 2/64 becomes the "new normal", swap the OG 2 card back in and see how it sounds.

For me on first blush I found the 2/64 a bit flat and listless. As time went on I found that both ends of the frequency range felt more extended, and that what I was observing was a less prominent middle section. The OG 2 seemingly had a lusher, more full mid-emphasis to it, but on swapping back I found the OG 2 was lacking the top and bottom definition that the 2/64 was bringing into the system. I ultimately kept the 2/64, but still hold onto the OG 2 card (just in case).

So maybe the 2/64 feels flatter and a bit listless due to opening up a fuller range ... or maybe it's just flatter in your particular system. And maybe the OG 2 is a mid-centric lushness monster. There's a lot at play with system synergy and other room acoustics that can sometimes make it hard to pin down exactly.

But if you've got the time (and the patience) just let the 2/64 do it's thing for a while, let your ear adjust to it, and then swap back.

[edit]
- Forgot to mention, do also play a bit with NOS mode (when the LED is slowly "breathing")
- Some find it more engaging, others less, but it is an option with the latest firmware for both the OG 2 and 2/64 cards
Love it! Thanks so much for this.

Yep, this is my intended move. Not worried on the return window and will have value for resale.

I absolutely intend to listen further and observe any changes in timbre, dynamics etc. I’m also in the midst of replacing my ancient PC with a Roon ROCK core.

As for the NOS: i was really impressed how different NOS mode is on the 64 vs the 2 OG. I know there is a huge potential with DSP apps like HQ Player but I can’t justify the cost, right now 🤣.

Sep 18, 2023 at 1:25 PM Post #4,572 of 4,957
Schiit Bifrost 2/64 and Gustard R26

If anyone has compared these two, could you kindly share your comparative impressions? Many thanks,

Sep 18, 2023 at 6:52 PM Post #4,574 of 4,957

[edit]
I would agree with this completely, although from my own experience with the 2/64 card the difference was immediately obvious. It felt like a very light veil was lifted from the sound I was hearing, and I could hear that bit deeper into the music.

I guess because a lot of my headphones and IEMs skew towards being a bit warmer/darker to start with, the additional detail and clarity in the upper midrange and treble especially that you get from the 2/64 card works really well with them, especially the LCD-2C, Empyrean and Xe6.

Sep 19, 2023 at 8:44 PM Post #4,575 of 4,957
Okay - a huge thanks to @mjstealey for talking me off the ledge.

Updates - it’s like someone gave my DAC a shot of amphetamines. Texture - PRaT - soundstage : it was all there! And I was transfixed.

I swapped the Totem Tribe Towers for Totem Hawks, but this was earlier. Tonight, the Hawks killed. Holography up the wazoo and a forceful rhythmic drive.

Can’t thank you enough for this advice and yeah: I’ll be waiting for more changes to both sound and brain 🙃.

Burn-in is real!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back