Schiit Audio Bifrost 2
Jun 23, 2022 at 6:50 AM Post #2,776 of 4,957
I purchased min shortly after the introduction too. It has been on most of the time since then with zero issues.

There was a firmware update they sent out early on to fix some problem or another that I personally didn’t experience. I installed the update anyway though because why not. Great piece of kit (or, indeed, Schiit). :)

Jun 23, 2022 at 6:10 PM Post #2,777 of 4,957
The album "How Will The Wolf Survive?" by Los Lobos sounds astonishing on the Bifrost 2. It's almost like a hallucination. This is what I imagine most well-recorded music sounds like on the Yggdrasil.

Jun 29, 2022 at 9:23 PM Post #2,780 of 4,957
Recently got the BF2, had the Ares2 before. Miss the soundstage of Ares, but tonality of BF2 is so spot on & the base is absoluletly brilliant. Totally worth the price of admission. Question for folks who have used both, will moving up to Iggy retain the tonality, base & increase soundstage?
Cheers!

Jul 3, 2022 at 5:19 AM Post #2,781 of 4,957
So I have a new Bifrost 2 that has a problem. When I first turn my computer on or wake it up from sleep, there's no sound. I found that simply unplugging and plugged back in the USB cable will get the Bifrost 2 to click, and there's sound. I also found that if I start Quboz, play a song, it will get the Bifrost 2 to click and then there's sound. I can then exit out of Quboz and I will get sound in Windows again. Anyone experience this problem before? I'm using low power mode in Windows 10 desktop but I've already disabled the USB setting: "USB selective suspend" and the problem still persists.

Jul 3, 2022 at 12:30 PM Post #2,782 of 4,957
So I have a new Bifrost 2 that has a problem. When I first turn my computer on or wake it up from sleep, there's no sound. I found that simply unplugging and plugged back in the USB cable will get the Bifrost 2 to click, and there's sound. I also found that if I start Quboz, play a song, it will get the Bifrost 2 to click and then there's sound. I can then exit out of Quboz and I will get sound in Windows again. Anyone experience this problem before? I'm using low power mode in Windows 10 desktop but I've already disabled the USB setting: "USB selective suspend" and the problem still persists.
I believe Jason says that this is normal operating procedures. I believe I recall him mentioning a built in delay. Not sure why. I never turn my Bifrost2 off, but I do have Qobuz and can report the same thing. I kinda like it to be honest........

Jul 3, 2022 at 12:45 PM Post #2,783 of 4,957
I believe Jason says that this is normal operating procedures. I believe I recall him mentioning a built in delay. Not sure why. I never turn my Bifrost2 off, but I do have Qobuz and can report the same thing. I kinda like it to be honest........

Lol, why do you like it? So you have to do the same thing as me? Unplug and plug the USB cable back in to get it to activate? I never turn my Bifrost 2 off either. I even uninstalled Qobuz to see if maybe that was causing it. But still get the issue when waking the computer up, etc.

Jul 3, 2022 at 1:13 PM Post #2,784 of 4,957
Lol, why do you like it? So you have to do the same thing as me? Unplug and plug the USB cable back in to get it to activate? I never turn my Bifrost 2 off either. I even uninstalled Qobuz to see if maybe that was causing it. But still get the issue when waking the computer up, etc.
No. Maybe I mis understood. I thought you did the plug in and plug out after turning it on after having previously shut it down. I hear the clicks when I put a new song or radio stream on via Qobuz. That this the clicking I'm speaking of. I never have to unplug the USB from the Bifrost........ Sorry! I would call or email Schiit customer service on Tuesday. I would expect that they would give you accurate info. about trouble shooting.......

Leo

Jul 4, 2022 at 10:34 AM Post #2,785 of 4,957

I’ve had this happen, it’s a weird Windows quirk, possibly with Exclusive mode. Something, likely a program is using your Bifrost exclusively before the Windows audio service can recognize it. In my case I had a secondary monitor connected to my GPU via HDMI, when I unplugged it and went back to a single monitor I stopped having this issue. More likely than not a coincidence.

You may also want to look at the “Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device” checkbox in the audio device properties in Windows. That and make sure you’re closing out any music apps completely before letting the computer go to sleep, or don’t launch any music apps when at startup. This helped me a bit when I was using Amazon Music. In Qobuz, you can also select a different audio device and go back to your Bifrost and you should get sound again without needing to unplug/reconnect the USB cable.

Jul 5, 2022 at 9:49 AM Post #2,787 of 4,957
Check your Windoze settings to make sure nothing is funky. My Win10 box has been behaving with my setup since I got everything set up and haven't had any glitches like this. The clicking you hear is also when the BF senses a different bitrate/word size and changes to accommodate. If for example, Windoze is set to 24/96k and Quobuz is set to 16/44.1 exclusive, the BF will click because of the stream rate change.

Jul 8, 2022 at 6:24 AM Post #2,788 of 4,957
I’ve had this happen, it’s a weird Windows quirk, possibly with Exclusive mode. Something, likely a program is using your Bifrost exclusively before the Windows audio service can recognize it. In my case I had a secondary monitor connected to my GPU via HDMI, when I unplugged it and went back to a single monitor I stopped having this issue. More likely than not a coincidence.

You may also want to look at the “Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device” checkbox in the audio device properties in Windows. That and make sure you’re closing out any music apps completely before letting the computer go to sleep, or don’t launch any music apps when at startup. This helped me a bit when I was using Amazon Music. In Qobuz, you can also select a different audio device and go back to your Bifrost and you should get sound again without needing to unplug/reconnect the USB cable.

So I emailed Schiit and the first thing they said was: did you try a different USB port or computer?

Duh.

I tried a different USB port and viola, issue hasn't happened once in days.

My desktop is an old build from like 2009. X58 motherboard with the first gen Intel Core I7's.

So I bet some of the USB ports are just wonky.

Jul 13, 2022 at 12:49 PM Post #2,789 of 4,957
Just an observation...

Been using my BF2 with USB cable from my computer for a good while now, A MacBook Air M1.. I've decided to play from Spotify on my new TV but it lacks USB output for external DAC which got me a bit grumpy. It forces me to use Optical Toslink.

So I got it setup and I was not expecting greatness... But that is what I got!

Optical was a non-insignificantly amount superior to USB, most evident in the bass and highs. Isn't USB supposed to be the best on the BF2? The cables themselves are of comparable length so it has to do with implementation? Now I plan on getting the iFi Zen Stream to use as source with its coax output into my BF2. Very exciting.

Jul 22, 2022 at 1:41 PM Post #2,790 of 4,957
ICYMI a Bifrost 2 upgrade/revision is out: the Bifrost 2/64...

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sch...most-improbable-start-up.701900/post-17061189

1. Bifrost 2/64 is now a hardware-balanced DAC. The original Bifrost 2 used two Analog Devices AD5781 D/A converters in a single-ended configuration, with the balanced outputs derived from the single-ended ones. There’s nothing inherently wrong with that, but Mike sayeth “hardware balanced is the True and Proper way to do a Multibit DAC,” so Bifrost 2/64 now uses four Texas Instruments DAC8812s for true balanced output, as well as single-ended.
  2. It measures better. In fact, Bifrost 2/64 is the first of our True Multibit DACs to achieve THD+N levels lower than -100dB (-102dB typical). I know this doesn’t sound like much in the world of delta-sigma steady-state measurement champions (heck, like Modi 3E), but it’s like 15dB better than the original Bifrost 2. And yeah, I know, lots of you aren’t interested in measurements but in sound, so yeah, read on…
  3. You get more flexibility. Bifrost 2/64 now includes NOS, or non-oversampling, mode. Now, in addition to our “megacomboburrito” filter, you can run your high-rate audio with no digital filter, if that’s the way you wanna roll. And yeah, we know, this is controversial—some people love it, others don’t. But choices are cool, right?
  4. Everyone who’s heard it says it sounds better. I know that the subjective side is gonna be discounted by a whole buncha folk, no matter how big and double-blind our comparisons are. But this is wayyyyyyy different than the Yggdrasil flavors, where we couldn’t even get a consensus between me, Dave, and Mike. This one is far clearer. If you believe in subjective stuff. If you believe we aren’t fooling ourselves.

Product page ($799): https://www.schiit.com/products/bifrost-1
Upgrade ($300): https://www.schiit.com/products/bifrost-264

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back