Schiit Audio Bifrost 2
Apr 27, 2022 at 12:41 AM Post #2,731 of 4,957
whats the difference between the multibit of bifrost 2 vs the other multibit dacs like asgard or modi? is the sound pretty similar?

Apr 27, 2022 at 2:39 PM Post #2,732 of 4,957
whats the difference between the multibit of bifrost 2 vs the other multibit dacs like asgard or modi? is the sound pretty similar?
I have a multibit card in my Asgard 3, and I also have a Bifrost 2.

Your question, well yes, the sound is "pretty similar". The multibit card is not bad. But you can also say that the sound from the Bifrost 2 is "noticeably better". How much better ? Enough that you can notice it. But they are also "pretty similar".

Apr 27, 2022 at 3:05 PM Post #2,733 of 4,957
I cannot compare multibit, but I am listening my new Bifrost 2 delivered today and I can tell right now the sound changed from the Jot2 with ES9028 module.

I can feel the difference, but I could not tell yet differences in detail, my ear is not enough trained in hifi.

What I could notice in terms of quality, with the Edition XS, which is a bit bright and sometimes in the high can crunch a bit my ears, specially with agressive violins or female vocals, and that does not happen in Bifrost. I think bifrost softened the high a bit. With the LCD-X is simply flawless and clean.

Last edited:
May 24, 2022 at 5:54 PM Post #2,734 of 4,957
Unison does not have the "low power flag" that lets low power devices pass through data and power. To circumvent this, get a self-powered USB hub and you should be good to go

Thanks for the tip. Can you explain how the connection works? If I connect the Bitfrost 2 to the HUB via USB, how do I connect the mobile phone to the Bitfrost 2 to use the mobile phone as the music output source? or where does the USB hub have to be connected

May 24, 2022 at 10:22 PM Post #2,735 of 4,957
Thanks for the tip. Can you explain how the connection works? If I connect the Bitfrost 2 to the HUB via USB, how do I connect the mobile phone to the Bitfrost 2 to use the mobile phone as the music output source? or where does the USB hub have to be connected

USB Input hub is connected to the phone then another USB cable from the hub to BF2. Your phone should recognize the BF2 as long as the USB ports in the hub is self-powered

May 28, 2022 at 9:59 AM Post #2,737 of 4,957
May 28, 2022 at 11:39 AM Post #2,739 of 4,957
Just plug and play as usual right, no need additional driver ?!
For me is working, just plug & play
Check if windows doesnt detect the generic drivers, normally will appear a warning in device manager:

1653752217711.png

1653752260347.png

If you get the warning, right click, search for drivers.

May 28, 2022 at 9:41 PM Post #2,740 of 4,957
May 28, 2022 at 9:46 PM Post #2,741 of 4,957
Last edited:
Jun 3, 2022 at 5:10 PM Post #2,742 of 4,957
Considering the Bitfrost 2, currently using a Shanling M6 pro 21 that has dual ES9068AS DAC. That’s running into Oriolus BA300S (used a preamp) into Xduoo ta20. Using mest mkii iem.

With this setup and using Bitfrost 2 to replace the Shanling I’m concerned with the Bitfrost and tubes that it be to warm.
The dac in the Shanling isn’t bad sounding and wondering if switching the the Bitfrost 2 would be a worthwhile upgrade?

Jun 3, 2022 at 7:32 PM Post #2,743 of 4,957
Considering the Bitfrost 2, currently using a Shanling M6 pro 21 that has dual ES9068AS DAC. That’s running into Oriolus BA300S (used a preamp) into Xduoo ta20. Using mest mkii iem.

With this setup and using Bitfrost 2 to replace the Shanling I’m concerned with the Bitfrost and tubes that it be to warm.
The dac in the Shanling isn’t bad sounding and wondering if switching the the Bitfrost 2 would be a worthwhile upgrade?
I don't know the M6Pro specifically, but in general you'll find the Bifrost multibit DAC to be more natural and organic vs most D/S DACs like the ESS. I do have the ESS9028 DAC Card in my Asgard3, and I find it to be just a tad brighter and just a little less "lifelike" vs the Bifrost; mind you, not bad at all, just different.

As far as using a tube amp, I use the Vali2+ with my BF2, depending on the headphone or IEM. This is a fantastic pairing, either on it's own or as a pre-amp to the Jot2. I never find it "too warm" at all, although I do generally prefer a warmer kind of signature.

Ultimately, the Bifrost or other R2R DAC will give you something different than what you have in the Shanling. Hard to say which might be "better", but they are definitely complementary, and you may prefer one or the other depending on matching your music, amp, IEM/headphone etc.

Jun 3, 2022 at 10:58 PM Post #2,744 of 4,957

I have the Bifrost 2 paired with a Mjolnir 2 with Gold Lions and the pairing is actually amazing. I was a bit concerned that it would be too warm tilted too, but it certainly doesn’t feel that way. It’s important to note that I have Aryas and Monarch MKIIs, so much more neutral-bright sounding headphones/IEMs. I have no complaints or regrets so far.

Jun 3, 2022 at 11:18 PM Post #2,745 of 4,957
I have the Bifrost 2 paired with a Mjolnir 2 with Gold Lions and the pairing is actually amazing. I was a bit concerned that it would be too warm tilted too, but it certainly doesn’t feel that way. It’s important to note that I have Aryas and Monarch MKIIs, so much more neutral-bright sounding headphones/IEMs. I have no complaints or regrets so far.
Welcome to Head-Fi, sorry about your wallet!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back