Schiit Audio Bifrost 2
May 1, 2021 at 3:56 PM Post #1,936 of 4,957
It is also important to remember that audio over USB is a real-time protocol with no room for error detection, error correction, or resending of bad packets.
USB audio does have CRC in the data packet for error detection. It's up to the DAC how to handle a detected USB data error (typically would mute/dropout). The reality is that the maximum allowed error rate in the USB specification is extremely low, and transmission errors are really not a factor for audio.

May 1, 2021 at 4:18 PM Post #1,937 of 4,957
Me too. I mean, I wasn’t totally against the idea either. After all, although it is a digital cable the signal through it still relies on voltage levels. The voltages in turn are dependent on physics, and physics ain’t digital.. :)

It is also important to remember that audio over USB is a real-time protocol with no room for error detection, error correction, or resending of bad packets. The DAC is completely subject to what pops out the other end of the cable, whatever it is, and has to deal with it, as is. A resend would most probably result in an immediate and likely apparent stutter or glitch in the sound, anyway.

That is unlike communication with other USB devices like printers and hard disks, which can detect bad data transmission and have it resent until it comes through correctly.

I think this might be the most common reason why people dismiss the thought of digital cables possibly making a difference, because, well, they’re all just digital anyway, and if it works well with the printer it should work just as well with the DAC. And hey, that is what I thought too. Until..

Ok, rewinding a bit in time. I was using a generic printer cable for a long time (albeit a “HQ” one, shielded and gold plated with ferrite cores on the ends), perfectly happy with it. When it broke I got a PYST. It worked well, didn’t think much of it and didn’t really listen for any differences in sound. Then I moved my equipment and the PYST was a bit short and too stiff to work well so I looked for a longer more easy to route cable still of good quality. So I tried an entry level Audio Quest one (the Pearl). This time I thought I’d listen carefully if I could hear any difference between them, and it turned out that I could, and to me the Pearl sounded better (not night and day of course, far from it, but a little more “clear” and “open”).

And, really, why not? If everything else can make a difference, the amp, the tube, the DAC, the source.. why not the cables that connect them all?

I do miss the level of detail that the AQ Pearl seemed to bring out of the Bifrost 2. I think the detail was already there, but the presentation with the AQ cable made it very easy to hear.

Edit: As a matter of fact, if anyone knows of a USB cable that presents as much detail as the AQ cable, but isn't as bright and brittle sounding, please share.

Last edited:
May 1, 2021 at 9:05 PM Post #1,938 of 4,957

This is an interesting analysis of 3 different USB cables. Using audacity he inverts the music to compare and the end result is the difference which is quite audible.

I'd love wiser folk than me to take a listen/watch and tell me what he's missing. It is because if this that I bought Supra USB cable and felt like I heard a 5% improvement.

May 1, 2021 at 9:16 PM Post #1,939 of 4,957

This is an interesting analysis of 3 different USB cables. Using audacity he inverts the music to compare and the end result is the difference which is quite audible.

I'd love wiser folk than me to take a listen/watch and tell me what he's missing. It is because if this that I bought Supra USB cable and felt like I heard a 5% improvement.

I watched that video as well, I'm a subscriber to "Passion For Sound" as I find him to be a very honest reviewer, As a side, he is a huge fan of the BF2, and thru a brief conversation with him is part of the reason I now own my BF2. I cannot comment on the scientific part of three review, other than I would say it would be a reliable study to evaluate, and I'm sure his thinking is sound.

Cheers

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
May 1, 2021 at 10:18 PM Post #1,940 of 4,957

20210414_071716.jpg

May 2, 2021 at 4:04 AM Post #1,942 of 4,957
I'm also subscribed. I just bought a AQ carbon 😂

I'm really going down the cable rabbit hole. I also just bought a Norne Solvine cable for my Clear Pro. Waiting for both.

I've been a cable skeptic forever. This is my first endeavor into it. Will report back after the madness lol.

He did a separate writeup of USB cables a few years ago, including a lot of AudioQuest cables:

http://passionforsound.lachlanfennen.com/massive-usb-comparison-test/

I’m also subscribed to him, I think I found out about the channel when someone posted about his interview series with Jason.

May 2, 2021 at 1:10 PM Post #1,943 of 4,957
May 2, 2021 at 5:01 PM Post #1,944 of 4,957
Something I've noticed about the BF2 is that it makes it incredibly easy to tell if an album was originally recorded to analog. The air and the 3-D sound around vocals is unmistakeable. Bifrost really, really likes analog recordings.

May 2, 2021 at 8:50 PM Post #1,945 of 4,957
I use this USB cable with my Bifrost 2, sounds great (note, my Gigabyte motherboard offers an audio only output, which I use for my USB output. Your mileage may vary). https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DCPHQ6D/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

One reason Bifrost 2 is more expensive than some DAC's... Galvanic isolation. One should be able to plug a USB cable from Bifrost 2, to source (PC, Mac, or other), and have only music transmitted (to the final Bifrost 2 output).

Last edited:
May 3, 2021 at 1:50 PM Post #1,946 of 4,957
I have a MB card in my Lyr3. I'd love to know peoples thoughts who have both the MB Lyr3 and Bifrost 2 - if there is a big difference?
I have both and I find the Bifrost2 is significantly better. The convenience of the all in one box at the time I thought would be useful. But turns out I haven't used it since the first week or so. But I do have Yggy, GungnirMB, and Bifrost2 so don't need it. So I haven't done a comparison in months.

May 6, 2021 at 10:38 AM Post #1,947 of 4,957
Some recent posts got me wondering whether there was any value in trying a different USB cable from my iMac to my BF2 as I'd been using a generic cable and it seemed to work fine. Just for grins I tried an Audioquest Cinnamon USB cable because I had set an arbitrary budget of $100 and I've had good luck with AQ products in the past (plus I could return it if I didn't like it).

I plugged it in a couple of nights ago and let things settle in before doing any critical listening but I will say I heard an immediate difference. Having now listened to my system for a couple of days I can say that the difference I hear is an improvement in air, clarity, image definition, and (possibly) extended frequency response. None of these on their own are that significant but cumulatively I like and appreciate what the new cable brings to my system and my musical enjoyment. It's somewhat akin to replacing the tube in my Lyr 3 in terms of the scale of the improvement.

I'm surprised by this as I've generally assumed that bits are bits and that a data cable shouldn't matter, and for some people this will still be the case. All I can say is that while I don't understand why, I do hear a different and it's a difference that's an improvement to me.

And I still think the Bifrost 2 is an amazing DAC.

May 6, 2021 at 10:52 AM Post #1,948 of 4,957
I'm using the ifi mercury usb 3.0 cable.
wonder anyone used/compared the ifi mercury usb 3.0 cable to curious evolved usb for sound?

May 6, 2021 at 10:57 AM Post #1,949 of 4,957
I too have recently had my eyes (ears) opened to the differences cables can make both with interconnects between gear, and headphones cables. Like @Tralfaz mentioned, the individual differences are often subtle but when combined there is a definite detectable improvement. Even if that improvement is only perception or "brain" burn in. It sucks in a way. I was happy thinking cables didn't matter and using that budget to further enhance signal chain components or add to headphone collections etc. My wallet hates me...

RE: Bifrost 2 being an amazing DAC - I am with you there. For its price point it is IMO the best. It's fun, enjoyable and versatile.

Last edited:
May 6, 2021 at 11:23 AM Post #1,950 of 4,957
I'm using the ifi mercury usb 3.0 cable.
wonder anyone used/compared the ifi mercury usb 3.0 cable to curious evolved usb for sound?

Never tried the iFi cable. The curious cable brought about improvements in many aspects (stage, resolution, detail, airiness, imaging, smoothness) over a generic cable, and those improvement were easier to pick out than the improvements on AQ Cinnamon or even the Supra. But the midrange sounded withdrawn and lacking body. So it was a no go for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back