Schiit Asgard: Unboxing and First Impressions
Feb 1, 2012 at 2:59 PM Post #1,501 of 1,717
After literally running through this entire thread.. in about 5 days.. I've pretty much come to the conclusion that I'll be purchasing a Asgard sometime down the road. Only a few questions:

Any thought/ expressions on the deemed setup?

Marantz CD-5004 > Schitt Asgard > Beyer Pro880 (250ohm)  Or Marantz CD-5004 > Schiit Asgard > Ultrasone Pro750?

Reading through the threat.. I saw very little Beyer comparisons, and unless I'm surely missing something.. I don't think I saw not even one opinion regarding it with an Ultrasone.

Also.. Would I be fine just using RCA to RCA in connecting the Marantz and the Asgard? Or am I totally missing something here?
rolleyes.gif

Thanks,
Greeink

Feb 1, 2012 at 7:12 PM Post #1,502 of 1,717
Could anyone who's familiar with this amp tell me if this is normal? I just received it and when I turn it on, after a few seconds I hear a click (or some kind of noise I can't describe). That happens even when the volume knob is at the lowest. There's also a similar but quieter noise that happens when I turn off the unit.

I want to add - although I don't know if this is the amp's fault, but sometimes when sound starts after the amp has been quiet for a while, I hear a noise too.

They're not particularly loud (although a bit of an annoyance), but could they damage my headphones?

Feb 1, 2012 at 8:08 PM Post #1,503 of 1,717
This click is normal.  Mine does it, too.  And, so does my Yamaha AV receiver.

Those noises will not hurt your headphones.  Just to be safe for your own peace of mind, turn on the amp, wait for click, plug in headphones, listen, unplug headphones, turn off.  This is my routine with all of my amps.  It's just good habit.

Quote:
Could anyone who's familiar with this amp tell me if this is normal? I just received it and when I turn it on, after a few seconds I hear a click (or some kind of noise I can't describe). That happens even when the volume knob is at the lowest. There's also a similar but quieter noise that happens when I turn off the unit.

I want to add - although I don't know if this is the amp's fault, but sometimes when sound starts after the amp has been quiet for a while, I hear a noise too.

They're not particularly loud (although a bit of an annoyance), but could they damage my headphones?

Feb 1, 2012 at 9:55 PM Post #1,505 of 1,717
Ok, thanks. Yeah I'll probably do something like that. My DAC (Fiio D3) has a similar "problem" when I switch between inputs (coax and optical), and it does a cracking noise. Is it the same kind of thing you think?

I realize this isn't the right thread but it's kind of a followup question.

Feb 2, 2012 at 1:11 PM Post #1,506 of 1,717

Quote:

The one click is the relay mute to prevent poweron/off surges from hitting the headphones.  The other one I presume is a transformer relay of some sort.  Lyr does the same, it's normal!  Any AVR I've had does the same thing as well...only those have much larger relays for handling much more power and it makes a louder click that can be heard across the room :) 

Lyr always had it because of its high power, but the original Asgards didn't (they later offered a free retrofit for it I think) because relays are mechanical and thus likely points of failure.  Unfortunately, people were turning the amp on and off with headphones connected and there was concern over damage from the brief surge.   Jason commented in the thread at the time...what it sounds like to me is that it's been sort of standard for a while to run without the relays in the really high end gear (which is what Jason and Mike were used to working with) and in that market everyone know to disconnect the headphones just in case.  In the consumer market things have to be more "user friendly" (Jason's words...) :)

I always fear wearing out the 1/4 jack with frequent removal....and the relay is there so you don't NEED to remove the jack when you turn it on or off.  But like hodgjy said, I do it anyway....just in case!

Sometimes I DO get a loud-ish crackle through the cans when inserting the plug, but it's nothing louder than would go through it with music. 

Quote:
I've found the perfect solution to keep the Asgard running nice and cool.

LOL, great camera work.  Lyr runs cooler than any Onkyo AVR I've ever run, though it does get toasty after an hour or two.   I can only imagine what Asgard feels like!
basshead.gif

Feb 2, 2012 at 1:15 PM Post #1,507 of 1,717

Quote:
Ok, thanks. Yeah I'll probably do something like that. My DAC (Fiio D3) has a similar "problem" when I switch between inputs (coax and optical), and it does a cracking noise. Is it the same kind of thing you think?

I realize this isn't the right thread but it's kind of a followup question.

Similar, yes.  AVRs will do the same when switching inputs (or outputs on multi-zone systems.)  It's a relay to prevent cross-talk and (worse) power overload from two different inputs feeding the DSP & DAC. 

Bit-perfect DACs also tend to click when changing sample rates.   I'm not sure why the audio world isn't using SSRs (solid state relays) yet...unless they're electrically noisy.  They're dead-silent when switching, and last longer because they have no mechanical parts.  But no one seems to be using them....at least not at the mid-level up.  Perhaps the budget products are using them to mitigate service issues. 

Feb 2, 2012 at 8:21 PM Post #1,509 of 1,717

Quote:
1) When I turn on my desk's lamp (a fairly powerful device), my headphones, which are hooked to a Fiio D3, produce a similar noise to what I get when I turn on my amp. If it changes anything, the lamp is connected to a different power bar (same breaker though). So again I'm here wondering, could this break anything? None of these weird clicks are particularly loud but sound system I've got cost me over $800 and that's pretty much 300% of my initial budget, so I want to be very careful! Thanks a lot everyone.

2) Edit: Sigh, also now there's a distinct hiss when the amp's knob is above roughly half, and it wasn't there before I'm pretty sure. Once again, this only happens when the Fiio D3 is hooked to the amp. Is it possible that the D3 is defective - or maybe it's supposed to behave like a cheap DAC because it's a cheap DAC?

1) I've heard of some people who have home theater systems - as in the whole system - doing hiccups when the washing machine switches on downstairs (then again when it restarts to spin in another direction) and the dryer also, but this is the first time I've heard of a lamp doing that. In the HT case they usually get a separate breaker or just avoid watching when somebody's washing clothes, BUT in your case the first is too drastic for a lamp and the other is not doable because you'd need the lamp. Have you tried using a voltage regulator? I have them all over the house and everything that isn't classified as "household appliance" or "lighting" is hooked up to it. The A/C when switching or while running makes for voltage drops in my house; I'm on a laptop so I just use the battery until the whole room is cool enough to switch off the A/C, unless I'm in another room (which wastes the cold). Other people I know use the same stuff they have for their work computers, the voltage regulators with built-in high-cap batteries, for their desktop computers at home. Although these are primarily to get you enough time to save your work (if not continue working) in case the power goes out.

2)  Maybe it really has that noise in its signal. If you can, try a better quality dedicated source first to make sure the Asgard's fine, like take that and your cans to a Hi-Fi store near your area, hook it  up to a quality CDplayer, and see if it hisses (and while you're at it enjoy that CDPlayer).

Feb 2, 2012 at 8:46 PM Post #1,510 of 1,717
1)  I'm not familiar with voltage regulators. I have a UPS if that's what you're talking about, I could try that out. But it's a fairly cheap one so I don't know that it qualifies as a voltage regulator. (APC Back-UPS XS-1300)
Edit: This also happens when my computer is connected directly to an AV receiver... what the hell is going on? O_o... Guess the Auzentech Bravura isn't doing too well.

2) Well, I tried to input 2 other things, although they're both also cheap inputs... My VCR and my Xbox360 through RCA - still got the buzz (but all the device produce a different buzz)

Quote:
1) I've heard of some people who have home theater systems - as in the whole system - doing hiccups when the washing machine switches on downstairs (then again when it restarts to spin in another direction) and the dryer also, but this is the first time I've heard of a lamp doing that. In the HT case they usually get a separate breaker or just avoid watching when somebody's washing clothes, BUT in your case the first is too drastic for a lamp and the other is not doable because you'd need the lamp. Have you tried using a voltage regulator? I have them all over the house and everything that isn't classified as "household appliance" or "lighting" is hooked up to it. The A/C when switching or while running makes for voltage drops in my house; I'm on a laptop so I just use the battery until the whole room is cool enough to switch off the A/C, unless I'm in another room (which wastes the cold). Other people I know use the same stuff they have for their work computers, the voltage regulators with built-in high-cap batteries, for their desktop computers at home. Although these are primarily to get you enough time to save your work (if not continue working) in case the power goes out.

2)  Maybe it really has that noise in its signal. If you can, try a better quality dedicated source first to make sure the Asgard's fine, like take that and your cans to a Hi-Fi store near your area, hook it  up to a quality CDplayer, and see if it hisses (and while you're at it enjoy that CDPlayer).

Feb 6, 2012 at 11:21 PM Post #1,511 of 1,717

Quote:
After literally running through this entire thread.. in about 5 days.. I've pretty much come to the conclusion that I'll be purchasing a Asgard sometime down the road. Only a few questions:

Marantz CD-5004 > Schitt Asgard > Beyer Pro880 (250ohm)  Or Marantz CD-5004 > Schiit Asgard > Ultrasone Pro750?

Reading through the threat.. I saw very little Beyer comparisons, and unless I'm surely missing something.. I don't think I saw not even one opinion regarding it with an Ultrasone.

Also.. Would I be fine just using RCA to RCA in connecting the Marantz and the Asgard? Or am I totally missing something here?
rolleyes.gif

Thanks,
Greeink

I have an Asgard amp and Beyerdynamic DT 880- (250ohm) headphones,.the amp was delivered in november..sounded horrible at first,bit better after a month, but i knew to wait it out,
the past 2 weeks this combo is spectacular!! i have maybe 300 hours.open,bottomless,friggin kickas sound..naim 6 pack-Linn owner so i have heard good equipment...this
amp sounds naimish,worth tripple the cost.

Feb 7, 2012 at 6:30 AM Post #1,512 of 1,717
Asgard and Ultrasone Pro750 - different source though not a Marantz CD-5004. Siiiiings sweet. Via nuForce HDP as DAC or as DAC pre-amp and Asgard it's just absolutely rocking it. Very nice combo.

Quote:

rolleyes.gif

Thanks,
Greeink

Feb 7, 2012 at 8:11 AM Post #1,513 of 1,717

I am using the HDP as a DAC pre-amp to Asgard as well with a pair of Denon D5000's.  There are plenty of "wow" moments listening to music with this combination.  Love this combo, and it seems to work great with bass-heavy headphones.
Quote:
Asgard and Ultrasone Pro750 - different source though not a Marantz CD-5004. Siiiiings sweet. Via nuForce HDP as DAC or as DAC pre-amp and Asgard it's just absolutely rocking it. Very nice combo.

Feb 7, 2012 at 8:56 AM Post #1,514 of 1,717

I'm in the minority that sent mine back.  After about 100 hrs. it smoothed out, but was still etched and lean
sounding to my ears and on my phones.   No question that it is very transparent, but I didn't want to go past
the 15 days "hoping" the sound would change more.  Mine never got very warm...the whole: "i couldn't hardly
touch it" experience never happened to me.
Hibuck....

Feb 7, 2012 at 10:15 AM Post #1,515 of 1,717
I will say that mine has smoothed out very nicely.  In fact, I think it may have smoothed out a little too much.  Sometimes I think that my HD600 Asgard combo is a little too laid back and smooth.  It takes some of the energy from some recordings.  I may invest in some different cans and/or edgy amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back