Schiit Asgard: Unboxing and First Impressions
Dec 29, 2011 at 9:29 PM Post #1,471 of 1,717
FiiO is good for its price range and market.  There are other options out there that some find more appealing, but overall FiiO isn't bad in the <$300 bracket.

Quote:
I heard you don't need to spend more than $100 to get a good DAC is this true? 

I hear about Fiio E7 E11 E17 E19 E9 E8 E848u589356y03489 EEEEEEEEEEE alot. Does Fiio make best DAC?

And will one DAC go with all amps if I wanted to have a DAC that would last through $200 - $1000 headphones and amps.

Dec 30, 2011 at 6:44 AM Post #1,474 of 1,717

Quote:
I heard you don't need to spend more than $100 to get a good DAC is this true? 

I hear about Fiio E7 E11 E17 E19 E9 E8 E848u589356y03489 EEEEEEEEEEE alot. Does Fiio make best DAC?

And will one DAC go with all amps if I wanted to have a DAC that would last through $200 - $1000 headphones and amps.

Yes but do consider that the E7/E17 need an adapter to send a lineout signal to the Asgard. Otherwise you'll be using the amped signal through the headphone out. If you don't need a (trans)portable amp, best get a DAC with less compromises on the design. The statement that you don't need to spend a lot to get a good DAC isn't absolute - it simply applies to getting a good DAC chip, but the implementation depending on your downstream components might have audible differences. First a DAC still has an analog output section, and second, because of that it needs a good power supply, rather than just the USB feeding 5v to it. I had the Superpro707 before and it sounds better through the USB input - not because in theory that's better than SPDIF (but I'm not saying it's audibly inferior), but because it helps the power supply. The one that ships with it supplies just enough to make it run; the added 5v of juice for the DAC and receiver chips leaves the 14v power brick to handle just the analog output opamps.

This doesn't mean you always have to spend more; on the contrary the trade-off might be that you won't pay for a battery or headphone amp. Look up the Superpro707 (about $100), which is OK since you'll use the USB input; the Musical Fidelity V-DAC, or the Lite DAC-AH and other Philips TDA-1541- or 1543-based DACs. There are DACs that go for about $70 in eBay that use 4 TDA chips. More isn't necessarily that much better but I have a soft spot for these chips, since they were used for Marantz CD players from the late 80's to early 90's.

Dec 31, 2011 at 12:28 AM Post #1,475 of 1,717
I ordered an Asgard today!  I should have it next week.  Now, I have to resist the urge to buy some HD600s to pair with it!  I'm not going to resist it too hard, though!

Jan 2, 2012 at 12:08 AM Post #1,476 of 1,717

Quote:
Yes but do consider that the E7/E17 need an adapter to send a lineout signal to the Asgard. Otherwise you'll be using the amped signal through the headphone out. If you don't need a (trans)portable amp, best get a DAC with less compromises on the design. The statement that you don't need to spend a lot to get a good DAC isn't absolute - it simply applies to getting a good DAC chip, but the implementation depending on your downstream components might have audible differences. First a DAC still has an analog output section, and second, because of that it needs a good power supply, rather than just the USB feeding 5v to it. I had the Superpro707 before and it sounds better through the USB input - not because in theory that's better than SPDIF (but I'm not saying it's audibly inferior), but because it helps the power supply. The one that ships with it supplies just enough to make it run; the added 5v of juice for the DAC and receiver chips leaves the 14v power brick to handle just the analog output opamps.

This doesn't mean you always have to spend more; on the contrary the trade-off might be that you won't pay for a battery or headphone amp. Look up the Superpro707 (about $100), which is OK since you'll use the USB input; the Musical Fidelity V-DAC, or the Lite DAC-AH and other Philips TDA-1541- or 1543-based DACs. There are DACs that go for about $70 in eBay that use 4 TDA chips. More isn't necessarily that much better but I have a soft spot for these chips, since they were used for Marantz CD players from the late 80's to early 90's

The SuperPro DAC707 sounds a lot better with a 12v sigma 11 PSU, and at that point the optical input sounded better than the USB input, with better transparency and micro-detail.  This budget DAC with an S11 comes close to the line-out sound quality of my 2006 Headroom Micro DAC, for 1/3 the cost.

Jan 6, 2012 at 3:39 PM Post #1,477 of 1,717
I got my Asgard today.  But, FedEx somehow let water get to the box.  There is water damage evident on both the inside and outside of the box.  Most likely, the protective plastic bag surrounding the amp spared it from damage.  I turned it on and seems to work fine.  I guess I don't need to worry much, but I did fire off an email to Schiit to just to let them know.  FedEx infuriates me.  They are so careless with our packages.

Jan 9, 2012 at 11:06 PM Post #1,478 of 1,717
I've has my Asgard for a while now and it always has this typical "I'm using my computer as a source" noise. I thought it might be cause my source is on-board computer audio. A week ago or so I got my new DAC in the mail (Musiland Monitor 02 US) and got it all working. However there's still a buzzing noise when I listen to my music. I thought maybe it's a low quality USB cable or a USB port issue so I tried different cables and USB ports. Now the Musiland DAC actually has 2 headphone ports (1 is high impedance and the other is for low impedance) and I tried some headphones in these ports. No noise whatsoever.

So now I know for sure it's something with the Asgard. I tried googling a bit and some people complain about noise from the amp itself. Mine is totally quiet in that aspect. I found the user manual for the Asgard and it says something about 2 audio devices with 2 3 pronged AC plugs...can someone help me out here?

I have the Asgard plugged in to a power cord with my computer and monitors and a bunch of other things. I tried the amp at a different outlet and hooked it up. There's noise but considerably less (I used my phone as a source this time) but it's still there...

I just want to use my Asgard with my computer and have no noise...

confused.gif

Jan 12, 2012 at 7:07 PM Post #1,479 of 1,717

Quote:
I've has my Asgard for a while now and it always has this typical "I'm using my computer as a source" noise. I thought it might be cause my source is on-board computer audio. A week ago or so I got my new DAC in the mail (Musiland Monitor 02 US) and got it all working. However there's still a buzzing noise when I listen to my music. I thought maybe it's a low quality USB cable or a USB port issue so I tried different cables and USB ports. Now the Musiland DAC actually has 2 headphone ports (1 is high impedance and the other is for low impedance) and I tried some headphones in these ports. No noise whatsoever.

So now I know for sure it's something with the Asgard. I tried googling a bit and some people complain about noise from the amp itself. Mine is totally quiet in that aspect. I found the user manual for the Asgard and it says something about 2 audio devices with 2 3 pronged AC plugs...can someone help me out here?

I have the Asgard plugged in to a power cord with my computer and monitors and a bunch of other things. I tried the amp at a different outlet and hooked it up. There's noise but considerably less (I used my phone as a source this time) but it's still there...

I just want to use my Asgard with my computer and have no noise...

confused.gif

After reading a review on Headfinia, I have to control myself not to order the Asgard. It seems the hum or buzz comming from the transformer . You can try the cheater plug .I would not go far as buying PS audio device to clean the hum/noise. It will not correct the problem.

I heard that the Schitt people have the problem fixed regarding hum/buzz but still it 's  a turnn off for me. I own 2 PCs/ 2 laptops/ 2 tablets. My amps/dac are simple entry level from Fiio ( FiiO E6, E9/E7 and E10 and my recent purchased Audio engine D1,  luckily they are dead quiet and free form any hum or buzz.

Try another amp, if the buzz/hum goes away then it is time to say goodbye to the Schiit. If not, it's something is definitly wrong with your set up (pc/ laptop/cables.

Good luck.

Jan 14, 2012 at 6:06 AM Post #1,480 of 1,717
Tempted. So tempted. Just what I need for my desktop PC. I think. With a lineup of the SR60i, M50, V-80, and possibly (hopefully) the Q701, would the Asgard really fit the bill? The price is really about all I can justify for an amp.

Jan 14, 2012 at 11:12 AM Post #1,481 of 1,717
The Asgard is a great amp.  I love mine.  Although, it's most regarded for driving Senns and Beyers.  I can comment that it drives mine very well.  I can't say how well it drives other cans.

Quote:
Tempted. So tempted. Just what I need for my desktop PC. I think. With a lineup of the SR60i, M50, V-80, and possibly (hopefully) the Q701, would the Asgard really fit the bill? The price is really about all I can justify for an amp.

Jan 14, 2012 at 10:48 PM Post #1,482 of 1,717
I'm looking for some extra rubber feet for my Asgard. I have it standing vertically since I got it, so the supplied feet are on the vertical side, but now I want to change things around and have my Asgard sit the conventional way, so I need some more rubber feet. I'm looking for something a little bit thicker and better quality than the cheapy supplied ones. Does anyone have any idea where I can find something like this?

Jan 14, 2012 at 11:00 PM Post #1,483 of 1,717
Home Depot or Lowes has more types of rubber feet than you'll ever need.

Quote:
I'm looking for some extra rubber feet for my Asgard. I have it standing vertically since I got it, so the supplied feet are on the vertical side, but now I want to change things around and have my Asgard sit the conventional way, so I need some more rubber feet. I'm looking for something a little bit thicker and better quality than the cheapy supplied ones. Does anyone have any idea where I can find something like this?

Jan 18, 2012 at 1:18 AM Post #1,484 of 1,717
So close to picking this up.... Almost did until I saw the $20 in taxes for living in CA, so I'm hesitating a bit.

I've heard the Asgard pairs up good with the Senn 598's which I have.  I'm wondering how they will sound with my other two headphones.

Anyone have experience with the Asgard and the following?

1. Brainwavz HM5/Fischer Audio FA-003
2. Fostex T50RP

Jan 29, 2012 at 12:09 AM Post #1,485 of 1,717
I'm coming to this thread late.  It was interesting to note several posts back about how the asgard worked well with Grado and Senheiser.  That was my opinion as well.  I don't care for it as much with my 701 and 880 (250) ohm.  I listen mostly to jazz and blues from a cambridge cd.  What I look for is something detailed, and yet a full sound.  The best way for me to describe it is that detailed means like a sharp knife rather than a dull one.  Each note should be very clearly separate from the others, and each instrument should be distinguishable from every other instrument.  The sound should be full like a German beer rather than a bud. 

the 701s and 880 just sound thin to me with the asgard as compared to their performance with a xcan v8 hybrid

the only other pair of headphones I have compared with the two amps is a 20+ year old set of AKG 240 monitors  600ohm.  They pair up best with the asgard. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back