Schiit Asgard: Unboxing and First Impressions
Nov 19, 2011 at 1:07 AM Post #1,441 of 1,717
I am using this combination as well and it is completely silent with all my headphones. It was silent before and after I changed the opamps.

On a side note, I didn't know that this amp could get so hot. I actually bought a laptop cooler meant for netbooks and an additional USB external fan from Thermaltake to cool it. So far it is only lukewarm/semi-cold to the touch. I have one 80mm fan on the bottom of the amp, and one resting on the top grill opening blowing cool air in. If you're paranoid about the heat, it's definitely a viable solution.

Quote:
I too have this amp hooked up to a Xonar STX, and I very much get the noise.

Dec 6, 2011 at 5:12 PM Post #1,442 of 1,717
I am using this combination as well and it is completely silent with all my headphones. It was silent before and after I changed the opamps.

On a side note, I didn't know that this amp could get so hot. I actually bought a laptop cooler meant for netbooks and an additional USB external fan from Thermaltake to cool it. So far it is only lukewarm/semi-cold to the touch. I have one 80mm fan on the bottom of the amp, and one resting on the top grill opening blowing cool air in. If you're paranoid about the heat, it's definitely a viable solution.

The amp is capable of getting quite hot. Not warm. Hot. But between the website and user's manual, I can't say that you weren't warned.

The asGRILL's case is a wonderful heatsink, and you can bet your bottom that the fine folks at schiitt stress tested the dung out of this thing.

Well, I just ordered one...........hope it pairs well with Grado PS500............should be an interesting compare to my LD I+..........

This amp supposedly does amazing things with low impedance headphones like Grados and Audio Technicas. I have no complaints and it's been a few months.

Dec 9, 2011 at 1:55 AM Post #1,444 of 1,717
Quote:
Any word on how this pairs with AKG K701s?

My other contender is the Burson HA-160, but obviously this is a much more attractive buy since it's so much cheaper.

My opinion of the K701/Asgard at least: http://www.head-fi.org/t/531228/review-schiit-audio-asgard-avenson-audio-headphone-amp

I know this looks like a classic case of "recommending something you haven't heard" but I'd be more inclined to suggest Schiit's Valhalla (which I haven't heard admittedly) over the Asgard for driving the K701, for two reasons: (1) OTL tube amps tend to be good amps for headphones like the K701 - i.e., inefficient headphones, and (2) the K701 tends to sound better on tube or hybrid amps than it does solid-state, in my experience.

Dec 9, 2011 at 7:43 PM Post #1,445 of 1,717
Got the schiit asgard myself this week, and I'm almost happy with it. When I turn the volume up, there's some slight background noise, but that's not the asgard's fault. Removing the RCA cables makes it dead silent without noise, so the noise is coming from my source (xonar essence stx via denon rcd-m38). But what is the asgard's fault is a loud *CLICK* in the headphones when I turn it on and off :-/ Which is a shame, because everything else about it (the sound you're getting, and that you can heat an entire room with it :)) is very nice.

Dec 9, 2011 at 8:18 PM Post #1,446 of 1,717

Quote:
My opinion of the K701/Asgard at least: http://www.head-fi.org/t/531228/review-schiit-audio-asgard-avenson-audio-headphone-amp

I know this looks like a classic case of "recommending something you haven't heard" but I'd be more inclined to suggest Schiit's Valhalla (which I haven't heard admittedly) over the Asgard for driving the K701, for two reasons: (1) OTL tube amps tend to be good amps for headphones like the K701 - i.e., inefficient headphones, and (2) the K701 tends to sound better on tube or hybrid amps than it does solid-state, in my experience.

Thanks for the input. I ended up ordering myself a Burson HA-160 (yeah, a completely different price bracket, I know).

Dec 9, 2011 at 10:14 PM Post #1,447 of 1,717

Quote:
Got the schiit asgard myself this week, and I'm almost happy with it. When I turn the volume up, there's some slight background noise, but that's not the asgard's fault. Removing the RCA cables makes it dead silent without noise, so the noise is coming from my source (xonar essence stx via denon rcd-m38). But what is the asgard's fault is a loud *CLICK* in the headphones when I turn it on and off :-/ Which is a shame, because everything else about it (the sound you're getting, and that you can heat an entire room with it :)) is very nice.

Just plug your phones in after you power it on and unplug before powering it off if it bothers you (I do just to be safe). Schiit has said that they've heard zero reports of the Asgard blowing headphones though.

Incidentally, mine also occasionally makes a fairly loud pop from the chassis as it heats up. Once I determined it wasn't through the headphones I decided it doesn't bother me, but I guess that's a potential drawback of the chassis being the heat sink.

Dec 10, 2011 at 11:43 AM Post #1,448 of 1,717

Quote:
Just plug your phones in after you power it on and unplug before powering it off if it bothers you (I do just to be safe). Schiit has said that they've heard zero reports of the Asgard blowing headphones though.

Incidentally, mine also occasionally makes a fairly loud pop from the chassis as it heats up. Once I determined it wasn't through the headphones I decided it doesn't bother me, but I guess that's a potential drawback of the chassis being the heat sink.

Sounds like one of the screws is not tightened enough......mine has never popped.

Dec 20, 2011 at 9:44 PM Post #1,451 of 1,717

Only about 40 pages later, I wanted to know if you considered the Asgard a worthy contestant to the Apogee Duet (1 or 2)'s Headphone Amp?  I plan to grab a Duet for editing, but I also wanted to grab the Schiit Bifrost and the Schiit Asgard so I was curious to hear about the sound quality.

Much appreciated!
Quote:
x2

I have used the HD600's [with Cardas cables] extensively for digitizing my LP collection with a high quality analog front-end [VPI turntable and Audio Research PH-2 phono preamp] for several years with a variety of audio interfaces [MOTU 828 mk2, Presonus FireBox and now Apogee Duet] using the built-in headphone amps in the interfaces for monitoring & playback.

The Asgard has provided a very significant step-up in monitoring & playback sound quality -- allowing me to hear more detail and tonal nuance in the digital files.  The quality of these recordings [with all three interfaces captured @ 96KHz/24 bits] with this front-end preserved the essence of what was on the LP's but was never revealed fully until I got the Asgard.

The HD600/Asgard combo is a sweet combo for my money!

scs999

Dec 20, 2011 at 10:13 PM Post #1,452 of 1,717

Meloncoly, is it possible to see pics of that?  I'm just curious as to seeing how it looks with a notebook cooler.  Weird curiosity, I know. Lol.

Now a question, does it impact the sound at all?  Like any fan noise or anything?
Quote:
x2

I have used the HD600's [with Cardas cables] extensively for digitizing my LP collection with a high quality analog front-end [VPI turntable and Audio Research PH-2 phono preamp] for several years with a variety of audio interfaces [MOTU 828 mk2, Presonus FireBox and now Apogee Duet] using the built-in headphone amps in the interfaces for monitoring & playback.

The Asgard has provided a very significant step-up in monitoring & playback sound quality -- allowing me to hear more detail and tonal nuance in the digital files.  The quality of these recordings [with all three interfaces captured @ 96KHz/24 bits] with this front-end preserved the essence of what was on the LP's but was never revealed fully until I got the Asgard.

The HD600/Asgard combo is a sweet combo for my money!

scs999

Quote:

Dec 21, 2011 at 9:36 PM Post #1,454 of 1,717
I'm getting my HD650's any day now, and I'm tied between Little Dot MK V and the Asgard. I just want a solid state amp that compliments my 650 cans well. These two are similar in price, but which one is probably the best buy?

Dec 21, 2011 at 10:00 PM Post #1,455 of 1,717

Quote:
I'm getting my HD650's any day now, and I'm tied between Little Dot MK V and the Asgard. I just want a solid state amp that compliments my 650 cans well. These two are similar in price, but which one is probably the best buy?

Asgard, especially if you live in the States.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back