Schiit Asgard: Unboxing and First Impressions
Sep 12, 2010 at 3:35 AM Post #961 of 1,717
Thanks mmayer for that reassuring response! I have a couple of 25mm fans from my other hobby (R/C) that I might put on top of the vent.

Sep 12, 2010 at 12:18 PM Post #964 of 1,717

Quote:
I am curious to know this as well. Also, a comparison to dynalo-based amps would be nice.

Yeah, I really want to know if this is a suitable commercial substitute for a GLite.

Sep 12, 2010 at 12:49 PM Post #965 of 1,717
We found out at the NJ Meet that the Asgard got insanely hot when  a headphone wasn't hooked up to it.
We couldn't even touch the volume knob. I had the problem with the volume knob with my BHKE, and Kerry remedied the problem by installing a Delrin shaft instead of a medal one connected to the pot.

Make sure to always keep a load on it when it's on.

Sep 12, 2010 at 7:34 PM Post #967 of 1,717
I have posted measured temperatures from an idling Asgard after it sat for hours unused.  Temps are posted in this thread.  They were not unusually hot.  Let's not go starting any goofy rumors again.

Sep 12, 2010 at 8:12 PM Post #968 of 1,717

I would agree with kwkarth and add that until an amp is damaged by heat, a person is burnt, or a house catches fire due to the Asgard there are no "heat issues"
Quote:
I have posted measured temperatures from an idling Asgard after it sat for hours unused.  Temps are posted in this thread.  They were not unusually hot.  Let's not go starting any goofy rumors again.

Quote:
I agree with Aaron although others will say it was not so.LOL It would be nice if the next amp they design has no heat issues.

Sep 12, 2010 at 11:50 PM Post #969 of 1,717
Quote:

With no headphone attached?

It's not a rumor. Unless you were at that meet, and felt the volume knob, then measurements are worthless. It was a warm day and it was warm in the room,
but the amp was left on and the owner did not realize that the output was empty, and we all agreed that you could have fried an egg on the knob.
Not an issue with a headphone attached. Damn good amp, but the fact remains the same.

Sep 12, 2010 at 11:52 PM Post #970 of 1,717
Has anyone made a comparison between Asgard and Matrix Mini in terms of sound quality? 

Sep 13, 2010 at 12:57 AM Post #971 of 1,717

Quote:
Quote:

It's not a rumor. Unless you were at that meet, and felt the volume knob, then measurements are worthless. It was a warm day and it was warm in the room,
but the amp was left on and the owner did not realize that the output was empty, and we all agreed that you could have fried an egg on the knob.
Not an issue with a headphone attached. Damn good amp, but the fact remains the same.

Subjective impressions, in this case, when not accompanied by objective measurements are misleading at best.  Worse than worthless.  Either the amp was defective or the subjective impression was defective.

Sep 13, 2010 at 1:17 AM Post #972 of 1,717
Some like it hot--like my Asgard. Whether hot or not it makes great music. And that is my subjective impression.
smile.gif

Sep 13, 2010 at 1:36 AM Post #973 of 1,717

Quote:
Some like it hot--like my Asgard. Whether hot or not it makes great music. And that is my subjective impression.
smile.gif

This subjective impression is valid!  It's about the music, after all.

Sep 13, 2010 at 4:57 PM Post #975 of 1,717

Quote:
Quote:

Is it fine with phones attached but nothing playing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back