Schiit Asgard: Unboxing and First Impressions
Jul 14, 2010 at 10:50 PM Post #361 of 1,717

Quote:
Sorry, I was being sarcastic.
wink_face.gif

I thought the manual was amusing because it has the "it gets hot" message plastered on the front cover.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Ah! I'm out of the loop since I don't have my very own Asgard manual.
tongue.gif

edit: Which has subsequently been remedied by the pdf link. Good stuff!

Jul 15, 2010 at 12:46 AM Post #362 of 1,717

Quote:
I tried with a couple of different sources, the Usb input of the Pico dac that's built into the amp, the usb (computer) and spdif (squeezebox) input of a AMB Gamma2 dac, and finally the spdif input of a Buffalo24 dac with the Asgard. Interconnects used were DIY cables made using Canare Starquad and Neutrik pro-fi rca's. I did use a pair of Blue Jeans Cables wire but heard no difference between them and my own DIY cables so I didn't do any further comparison after the Gamma2. Interconnect for the Pico was using a Monoprice RCA to mini cable identical to the one provided by Schitt.

Headphone used was the HD800, my only other headphones are my DT770's which I use purely as gaming/movie watching cans.

Thanks for the info Nebby.  I would guess that the 800s aren't at their best pairing with the Asgard for some reason.  I don't know that for sure, it's just a guess.

Jul 15, 2010 at 2:23 AM Post #363 of 1,717
Has anyone reviewed the Asgard with a pair of grado's yet?  

P.S. anyone know how to edit my forum signature?  I'm kinda new here...

Jul 15, 2010 at 2:44 AM Post #364 of 1,717
Well, after ten hours I have decided that the Markl modded LA D-2000s pair better with the Asgard than the RS-1i's.  I wouldn't fault the amp so much as the can's strengths and weaknesses.  The Asgard doesn't seem to emphasize any part of the music in particular and yet the RS-1i has a stronger mid and high presence than bass, to the point of becoming fatiguing.  It can reach the low notes, but overall seems to lack substance (as if I turned the bass almost all the way down).  However, when I put on the modded D-2000s, it's all there; bass is tight with some punch, the mids and highs are not emphasized but are not veiled either.  I think the Denons sound great with the Asgard.  This is all based on no EQ adjustment on the Cowon S9 source ("normal" setting).  I think the RS-1i's could sound good if I played with the EQ settings, but I wanted to see how things sounded without doing it. 

I have a pair of HF-2s coming in (I've owned some before) and am on the list for the LCD-2s.  I will post more as the amp burns in and my headphone inventory increases.
Please remember that these are only my impressions and YMMV...

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Jul 15, 2010 at 2:49 AM Post #365 of 1,717

Quote:
Has anyone reviewed the Asgard with a pair of grado's yet?  

P.S. anyone know how to edit my forum signature?  I'm kinda new here...

Hi Feast,

Go to the my profile tab at the top of the page.  When you get to the profile page, scroll down a ways and you will find the forum signature section.  I hope that helps.
Also, I have been listening for a few hours with the Grado RS-1i's and I posted my impressions so far, but please don't consider it the last word on Grados and the Asgard.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Jul 15, 2010 at 8:51 PM Post #366 of 1,717
New to the audiophile world love my HD 650s through my lavry da11.no complaints with sq exept I find it hard to listen to what I just discovered is poorly recorded music through this setup.does any one know how this schiit would compare to the lavry's built in amp or if it would make poorly rec music more enjoyable. I'm probably going to check it out any way, 15 days risk free is hard to argue with.

Jul 16, 2010 at 8:51 AM Post #368 of 1,717

Quote:
Just a stretch....would the Valhalla and a Dac19 be good paired with HD800's?

Until someone has actually heard the Valhalla (which no one has, since it's not out yet), this question cannot be answered
wink_face.gif

Jul 16, 2010 at 5:13 PM Post #369 of 1,717
Asgard is better. I don't know about DA11, but DA10's built-in headamp is pretty "schiity", same goes for DAC1 in case you were wondering.

Quote:
New to the audiophile world love my HD 650s through my lavry da11.no complaints with sq exept I find it hard to listen to what I just discovered is poorly recorded music through this setup.does any one know how this schit would compare to the lavry's built in amp or if it would make poorly rec music more enjoyable. I'm probably going to check it out any way 15 days risk free is hard to argue with.

Jul 16, 2010 at 6:57 PM Post #371 of 1,717
I'm so sick of listening to music on my HD650s without an amp, I highly considering just preording the Valhalla to get it as quickly as possible. If it's in the same calibre in terms of price:performance as the Asgard, I think I'll be happy with it.

Jul 17, 2010 at 1:06 AM Post #374 of 1,717
As much as I would like to simply preorder and be done with it, I'm also dying to see how the Val compares to the WA3...ggggaaaahhhh...decisions...
confused_face(1).gif

Jul 17, 2010 at 1:26 AM Post #375 of 1,717
As with the asgard though, you'll have 15 days to return it. I'm sure you could preorder it, and then use it, see how you like it, then browse the forums for comparisons. Saves you the trouble if it gets put on backorder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back