Schiit Asgard: Unboxing and First Impressions
Oct 12, 2010 at 12:20 AM Post #1,112 of 1,717
Yes, I did indeed get rid of the many Grados in my profile. Don't get me wrong, though: most of which really did float my boat. Eventually, moving up the chain I was content to either have the RS-1 or HF-2's as my 'final' set. However, financial binds led me to have to sell them. I very much would like to purchase a pair of HF-2's in the near future, though. I love their bassy heft and rather impressive detail. If it comes down to a more affordable set, I may just want to pick up a pair of SR-225i's. Those are very nice for the money, surely.

Quote:
I think he's a pretty handsome one, but he's my school's mascot so I'm a bit biased.

In any case did you get rid of all those Grados in your profile before you got the Asgard? I'm kind of considering getting a pair again (I used to have the SR80i's).

Oct 12, 2010 at 12:46 AM Post #1,113 of 1,717

Quote:
Caphead, you're a Yalie?

Yep, boolah boolah!

Quote:
Yes, I did indeed get rid of the many Grados in my profile. Don't get me wrong, though: most of which really did float my boat. Eventually, moving up the chain I was content to either have the RS-1 or HF-2's as my 'final' set. However, financial binds led me to have to sell them. I very much would like to purchase a pair of HF-2's in the near future, though. I love their bassy heft and rather impressive detail. If it comes down to a more affordable set, I may just want to pick up a pair of SR-225i's. Those are very nice for the money, surely.

Okay thanks, now I kind of want another pair  (grrrr head-fi devouring my paycheck grumble grumble
angry_face.gif
)

Oct 13, 2010 at 7:10 PM Post #1,116 of 1,717
Quote:Originally Posted by sampson_smith 

"Thanks for the good points, Frank I. Well put. HD600's are said to be good reference cans, haven't they? I wonder what on Earth would happen if I DID invest in a ~$1000 DAC/amp for them, instead of the V-DAC/GLite or Asgard combo I am currently enjoying. We'll see, when I can afford it!"

To me the Asgard isn't really in the same league as the GLite+DPS. Maybe just a DAC upgrade would go further for your money?

Oct 13, 2010 at 7:20 PM Post #1,117 of 1,717
I received my demo Vahalla last week and I will start it's own thread about the review.
One thing that I did notice, is that while it can push a Denon 7000 and my R10's with authority and my R-10's, with gobs of power and tremendous bass,
it had a really hard time with the LCD-2's and the HE-6, as it says in the forums. Also, the T-1, when pushed, started to clip. So I surmise to say that the Agard, might do a better job with these phones. The Valhalla had great synergy with the ESW-10's and the UE-10's and JH-13's.
I guess the SS does a better job with high impedance and low efficiency headphones.

Oct 13, 2010 at 11:14 PM Post #1,118 of 1,717
Have you tried the Asgard with the ER4P/S's? if so does it seem the S's are being driven just as well, even though they are higher impedence?

Quote:
I received my demo Vahalla last week and I will start it's own thread about the review.
One thing that I did notice, is that while it can push a Denon 7000 and my R10's with authority and my R-10's, with gobs of power and tremendous bass,
it had a really hard time with the LCD-2's and the HE-6, as it says in the forums. Also, the T-1, when pushed, started to clip. So I surmise to say that the Agard, might do a better job with these phones. The Valhalla had great synergy with the ESW-10's and the UE-10's and JH-13's.
I guess the SS does a better job with high impedance and low efficiency headphones.

Oct 18, 2010 at 9:06 AM Post #1,119 of 1,717
I'm looking into getting an Asgard and while on the site I noticed that they offered both a 115v and a 230v version at the same price.  Does it matter which one I get, and what are the differences? 

Oct 18, 2010 at 9:40 AM Post #1,120 of 1,717
Duh!

Sorry, but not knowing what voltage your home and even your entire county uses is really kind of sad. FYI - Canada uses the same Voltage as the U.S. Normally 120 Volt/ 60 Hz (Generally specified as 110-120 volts so the 115 Volt specification is fine). Most of the rest of the world uses 220-240 Volt 50 Hz.

To find out what is used where: http://www.kropla.com/electric2.htm 

Oct 18, 2010 at 10:29 AM Post #1,123 of 1,717
Sorry, at first I was going to use the word Pathetic, but I decided it was too harsh. So I settled with Sad, but it also is probably too harsh. I can't fathom not knowing. If you've ever read an owners manual, or a product package, the information is almost always there.

It's like driving a car for years and not knowing if it uses Unleaded or Diesel fuel. To me not knowing would imply having never used electronics on our planet. Actually that clears up quite a bit, a surprising number of Head-Fiers must actually be Aliens.
regular_smile .gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back