Schiit Asgard or Valhalla with Essence ST Sennheiser HD650
Mar 1, 2012 at 6:36 PM Post #16 of 36

Quote:
Hey it was a thought! 
biggrin.gif
 Idk if cables make a significant difference or not. I've read where some people swear by them then there's others that say it's nothing more then snake oil. 

"Recabling improves the audio?", that's a very unending discussion, the only things for sure you get out of recabling is,
You get to put whatever end plug you like, 1/8" or 1/4" or what brand you want.
The cable is well shielded
Your cable will be to the length of whatever you want.
Your brain will think it's sound better, whether it really does or not.

Mar 1, 2012 at 9:34 PM Post #17 of 36
Mar 1, 2012 at 9:46 PM Post #18 of 36
Mar 2, 2012 at 1:40 AM Post #20 of 36

Quote:
Very close, but not it.
Look for "Dual SOIC LME49990 DIP8 ADAPTER" from a ebay seller name Frugalphile.

Okay I found it. :) Is the op amp already good to go and just plug right in? I am very tech savvy when it comes to installing computer hardware having built my own computer but am not knowledgeable about soldering! No soldering on my part would be great! 
biggrin.gif
 Would these be ideal for my HD 650's?

Mar 2, 2012 at 1:56 AM Post #21 of 36

Quote:
Okay I found it. :) Is the op amp already good to go and just plug right in? I am very tech savvy when it comes to installing computer hardware having built my own computer but am not knowledgeable about soldering! No soldering on my part would be great! 
biggrin.gif
 Would these be ideal for my HD 650's?

Yes, no soldering, plugs right in, after you remove the old op-amps first.
These sockets are DIP-8, the adapter is DIP-8, just makes sure you put them in the right way, look for the notch/marking.
All you need is two really small screwdrivers, one Philiphead for the 4 screws on the shield, and one flathead to help get the old op-amps out.
Touch a piece of grounded metal (static discharge) before even touching the sound card. keep feet off carpets.
Will they be ideal for your HD650? only your ears will tell you.
I bought all the parts to make my own LME49990NAs, hope to solder them soon.

Mar 2, 2012 at 2:18 AM Post #22 of 36
Would I have to buy 2 of them or is it a 2 pack? I'm a bit confused on the description of it. If you could elaborate on it that would be most appreciated. I would leave the buffer alone though seeing as how it only affects the RCAs?

Mar 3, 2012 at 11:17 PM Post #23 of 36

Quote:
Very close, but not it.
Look for "Dual SOIC LME49990 DIP8 ADAPTER" from a ebay seller name Frugalphile.

Thanks for that info! I ordered 3 from Frugalphile and he was most helpful! Hope to receive them around the 12th, hopefully earlier since he's in NY :) . Yeah I've built my own PC so I should be good on installation. Must say I'm a little nervous on the card though!

Mar 4, 2012 at 1:27 AM Post #24 of 36

Quote:
Thanks for that info! I ordered 3 from Frugalphile and he was most helpful! Hope to receive them around the 12th, hopefully earlier since he's in NY :) . Yeah I've built my own PC so I should be good on installation. Must say I'm a little nervous on the card though!

It's just a little safer replacing all three with matching op-amps, as some op-amps do not like working with other (types) op-amps.

Also you will need two very small screwdrivers, a philipshead for the 4 screws and a flathead to take out the "old" op-amps.

Mar 7, 2012 at 11:48 AM Post #25 of 36
Got the OP amps in! Very fast shipping and well packaged! I unscrewed the EMI shield off and to my disbelief, the buffer OP amp appeared to be half installed! Aside from that I took them all out with a small flat head, (accidentally bent some pins on one when I took it out 
frown.gif
). I then went to install the new OP amps and they went right in! ( I replaced all three )Very easy installation just remember electrostatic safety!

I've noticed that there is a separation of the instruments which will probably lead to a bigger sound stage for my FPS gaming 
bigsmile_face.gif
. Dare I say they even bring my 650's to life! It brings out the music more and has more clarity. The treble is now there too! The bass feels tighter and more responsive. I'm still a n00b in the audiophile world so bare with me! 

All in all I'm very satisfied!

Mar 7, 2012 at 12:19 PM Post #26 of 36

Quote:
Got the OP amps in! Very fast shipping and well packaged! I unscrewed the EMI shield off and to my disbelief, the buffer OP amp appeared to be half installed! Aside from that I took them all out with a small flat head, (accidentally bent some pins on one when I took I took it out 
frown.gif
). I then went to install the new OP amps and they went right in! ( I replaced all three )Very easy installation just remember electrostatic safety!

I've noticed that there is a separation of the instruments which will probably lead to a bigger sound stage for my FPS gaming 
bigsmile_face.gif
. Dare I say they even bring my 650's to life! It brings out the music more and has more clarity. The treble is now there too! The bass feels tighter and more responsive. I'm still a n00b in the audiophile world so bare with me! 

All in all I'm very satisfied!

So how much did everything end up costing you to swap em?

Mar 7, 2012 at 5:48 PM Post #27 of 36
They ran me about $60 for 3 shipping included.

Mar 7, 2012 at 9:21 PM Post #29 of 36
So I take it your STX now sounds better then Schiit?

I'm afraid so. I saved myself so much money that I got another 6870 to crossfire in my rig!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back