Schiit Asgard or Valhalla with Essence ST Sennheiser HD650
Feb 28, 2012 at 7:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

MSnyder85

New Head-Fier
As the title says, right now I have the Essence ST going into the Asgard then into my 650's. They sound great with this setup but would spending the $120 be worth it for the Valhalla?

Feb 28, 2012 at 8:59 PM Post #2 of 36
The Valhalla is better sounding than Asgard and it's worth the upgrade.

Feb 28, 2012 at 9:31 PM Post #4 of 36
I've never heard the Valhalla, but I can confirm that the Asgard is very smooth.  Good amp. 

Quote:
I actually found the Asgard tonality better, but the drier Valhalla might be better for the HD650, since the Asgard is already a bit smooth sounding.

Feb 29, 2012 at 11:08 AM Post #5 of 36
I've talked with some more people (including Jason from Schiit Audio) and I'm going to stick with the Asgard. Thanks for all of the positive reinforcement! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 29, 2012 at 11:44 AM Post #6 of 36
I would also recommend trying the HD 650 straight out of the Essence ST.  You paid for a sound card with a competent TPA6120-based headphone amplifier, after all.  This may be a bit more accurate than the Asgard; regardless, it shouldn't hurt to try (again).

Mar 1, 2012 at 11:19 AM Post #8 of 36

Quote:
I've never heard the Valhalla, but I can confirm that the Asgard is very smooth.  Good amp. 

What's the deal with the remarks " boring" from the norm ? I like neutral to bright side, analytical, clean mid-range and not too much bass. I am looking at the Asgard but the high roll-off, boring, too warm really make me hesitating .

Mar 1, 2012 at 11:56 AM Post #9 of 36
I ended up returning the Asgard because the difference wasn't enough to justify the cost. Would I be better off getting the Schiit Valhalla or possibly getting Cardas cables?

Mar 1, 2012 at 12:20 PM Post #10 of 36

Quote:
I ended up returning the Asgard because the difference wasn't enough to justify the cost. Would I be better off getting the Schiit Valhalla or possibly getting Cardas cables?

Maybe it's time you started op-amp rolling, LME49860NA or LME49990NA on your Essence ST.

Mar 1, 2012 at 5:55 PM Post #12 of 36
Hey it was a thought! 
biggrin.gif
 Idk if cables make a significant difference or not. I've read where some people swear by them then there's others that say it's nothing more then snake oil. 

I listen to a lot of electronica and metal. Which OP amps should I look at or are the above recommended ideal? Would this help me in my quest for satisfaction?

Mar 1, 2012 at 6:14 PM Post #13 of 36

Quote:
Hey it was a thought! 
biggrin.gif
 Idk if cables make a significant difference or not. I've read where some people swear by them then there's others that say it's nothing more then snake oil. 
I listen to a lot of electronica and metal. Which OP amps should I look at or are the above recommended ideal? Would this help me in my quest for satisfaction?

The LME49860NA (dual channel, DIP-8) are only $15 for 3 on eBay, cheap way to start out.

LME49990NA and the AD797 (both single channel) have really good reviews, but they have to be soldered in pairs on a SOIC to DIP-8 adapter.
3 pre-soldered LME49990NAs (six chips) are about $55.50 on eBay, ship from New York area.
3 Pre-soldered AD797 (six chips) are about $25 on eBay, but they ship from China.

Mar 1, 2012 at 6:15 PM Post #14 of 36

Quote:
Hey it was a thought! 
biggrin.gif

Ha ha, yea there have been many blind tests done with so called "super audiophiles" between everything from $20000 cables to coat hangers and no one has ever been able to consistently tell the difference. If you feel you must upgrade to nicer cabling, make sure thats the very last thing you do.

Mar 1, 2012 at 6:19 PM Post #15 of 36
I actually just came across one of the threads for the op amps on the card. I heard that the LME49720 is the way to go for mine due to the dark signature of the HD 650's. Would I use 2 different ones or would I use the same ones? Is eBay a great place to get them? I saw them on there for $3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back