Schiit Asgard and Bifrost + Sennheiser HD 598 = No difference?
Sep 13, 2012 at 7:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

TheLuckiest

New Head-Fier
I just purchased the Schiit Asgard and Bifrost + the PYST combo because I've heard such glowing reviews about the quality for an entry-level DAC + amp combo. I'm just using my desktop computer's motherboard soundcard over SPDIF. My previous setup was a Astro Gaming Mixamp with SPDIF audio directly into the headphones (probably blasphemous to you audiophiles). Unfortunately, my issue came when I actually tried using the Asgard + Bifrost. Setup was easy, I plugged everything in and loaded up Foobar2000 with some FLAC audio I've downloaded over the years (Dreamtheater, Fun, Deadmau5, Coldplay, Mika, various others).....aaaaand...I could NOT hear a difference between the Schiit setup and the Astro Gaming setup. I played tracks and quickly switched between both setups...but I literally could not hear any difference. I'm an avid music listener and a musician myself, so I like to think that I have a pretty good ear for high/low quality audio. Am I doing something wrong here? Is my setup completely overkill, and HD 598's by themselves are good enough?

Any help with this would be awesome!

Thanks

Sep 14, 2012 at 12:17 AM Post #2 of 8
HD598's don't benefit from amping so I'm not surprised at your results.

Sep 14, 2012 at 12:46 AM Post #3 of 8
Congratulations, you've been Head-Fi-ed. 
biggrin.gif

Sep 14, 2012 at 12:47 AM Post #4 of 8
On a more serious note, price doesn't always equate to performance, atleast for amps, DACs, and sometimes, headphones as well. 

Sep 14, 2012 at 12:51 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:
HD598's don't benefit from amping so I'm not surprised at your results.

WOW really!? Okay apparently I have much to learn! How can you tell which headphones benefit from amps and which don't? (Thanks for saving me some money!)

Also...why have I read threads on this forum in regards to the Asgard being a "great matchup" to the 598's? I'm just curious as to why people would say that if they don't gain anything from amplification.

Sep 14, 2012 at 1:28 PM Post #6 of 8
The 598's are easier to drive than other headphones such as for instance the HD 600 or 650.
tbh it is a bit overkill with having schiit's for a HD 598.

I don't know which headphones that sound good with the schiit's, maybe some fellow head-fiers could possibly help you out?

and I've heard the HD 598 without amplification, and with (only Fiio E17) and I can definitley say that they do benefit from amplification. How much compared to other headphones - I can't really tell yet (i'm not experienced enough to go well into detail)

Sep 14, 2012 at 4:54 PM Post #7 of 8
Oh, I see, I see. Thanks for the response. I'm returning the Schiit stuff, so it was really nothing lost just to try it out and see the difference. With my setup I was able to swap back and forth between amp/no amp and I really couldn't tell a difference between them at all. Maybe a slightly punchier bass, but the difference was very very small.

Sep 15, 2012 at 5:01 PM Post #8 of 8

Users who are viewing this thread

Back