Schiit Asgard 3 - Impressions Thread
May 7, 2023 at 8:02 AM Post #2,731 of 2,857
And the Jotunheim 2 is a big step up from the Asgard?
It's different. Not better.

Technically it has a bit more gain, but you can get ear-damaging levels with the A3 just as easily. The only real upgrade this amp offers is fully balanced inputs/outputs if that's an issue for you. Apart from that there's a slight sonic difference where the J2 loses a bit of warmth/body and is more similar to a typical class D amp.

May 7, 2023 at 8:06 AM Post #2,732 of 2,857
It's different. Not better.

Technically it has a bit more gain, but you can get ear-damaging levels with the A3 just as easily. The only real upgrade this amp offers is fully balanced inputs/outputs if that's an issue for you. Apart from that there's a slight sonic difference where the J2 loses a bit of warmth/body and is more similar to a typical class D amp.
Thank you, and @cdacosta for your help!

May 7, 2023 at 12:51 PM Post #2,733 of 2,857
And the Jotunheim 2 is a big step up from the Asgard?
My simple opinion: Yes the Jotunheim 2 is a "big enough" step up from Asgard 3 "if" one is using the balanced output. If you will be using the SE output solely, go with the Asgard 3. For my use case, the Jotunheim 2 is very much worth the difference in price. My Asgard 3 is in its original box right now. The Jotunheim 2's SE output power is too low for my setup.

Benefits of the Jotunheim 2 over Asgard 3:

* If you do not EQ and do not need power, you will get four different sound signatures from the amp when you consider SE and balanced output and low and high gain.

* Built in switch to turn on and off pre-amp output. Say for external powered speakers.

* When using balanced output, there is more power on tap. Which means more control over drivers and more headroom. This matters if you have power hungry headphones or EQ heavily in the bass region. When you EQ heavily in the bass region, more power is required to properly control the drivers.

* To my ears the Jotunheim 2 is more refined than the Asgard 3 when using the balanced output. Meaning more nuanced and higher resolution. Not by a giant leap vs Asgard 3, but to me worth the meager price difference.

With the above said, the Asgard 3 IMHO is the best value and sounding amp I have encountered at that price range.

May 7, 2023 at 1:09 PM Post #2,734 of 2,857
May 7, 2023 at 1:15 PM Post #2,735 of 2,857
My simple opinion: Yes the Jotunheim 2 is a "big enough" step up from Asgard 3 "if" one is using the balanced output. If you will be using the SE output solely, go with the Asgard 3. For my use case, the Jotunheim 2 is very much worth the difference in price. My Asgard 3 is in its original box right now. The Jotunheim 2's SE output power is too low for my setup.

Benefits of the Jotunheim 2 over Asgard 3:

* If you do not EQ and do not need power, you will get four different sound signatures from the amp when you consider SE and balanced output and low and high gain.

* Built in switch to turn on and off pre-amp output. Say for external powered speakers.

* When using balanced output, there is more power on tap. Which means more control over drivers and more headroom. This matters if you have power hungry headphones or EQ heavily in the bass region. When you EQ heavily in the bass region, more power is required to properly control the drivers.

* To my ears the Jotunheim 2 is more refined than the Asgard 3 when using the balanced output. Meaning more nuanced and higher resolution. Not by a giant leap vs Asgard 3, but to me worth the meager price difference.

With the above said, the Asgard 3 IMHO is the best value and sounding amp I have encountered at that price range.
I will pair it with a Mojo 2 as a DAC, sooo, Asgard then. I will pair it with my A30 Pro, and will try the Asgard too, will se which one is better for me. I will use it with an edition XS for now.

May 19, 2023 at 8:09 AM Post #2,740 of 2,857
asgard 3 is fine with other headphones, maybe it happens because xs only has 18 hom d impedance?
Have you tried to connect the XS to your smartphone or PC?

May 25, 2023 at 6:05 AM Post #2,741 of 2,857
If I connect a Rupert Neve amplifier to the "low gain" outputs of the Asgard 3, will the combination work well?
should i set the volume of the asgard 3 to max and adjust the volume from rupert neve?

May 25, 2023 at 2:36 PM Post #2,742 of 2,857
If I connect a Rupert Neve amplifier to the "low gain" outputs of the Asgard 3, will the combination work well?
should i set the volume of the asgard 3 to max and adjust the volume from rupert neve?
I don’t know, but I would be careful about that.

I saw a story in here, somebody set their PC to 10% or something, and their Jotunheim to max, and they let it run for 12 hours, thinking this would be a good way to « break in » the Jotunheim. And after that… they had to send it (the Jotunheim) to Schitt for repair.

But I don’t know. All I am saying is « be careful about that ».

May 26, 2023 at 3:20 AM Post #2,743 of 2,857
Why are you connecting one amp to another? Are you trying to use the Asgard as a preamp?

There are only two outputs on the A3. Obviously, the headphone socket and also a 'PRE' RCA output at the back which if you use it makes the A3 a preamp. This way you can connect to a much more powerful amplifier than the A3 (which the Rupert Neve isn't). From a power perspective the A3 eats it for breakfast.

Gain is controlled from the Asgard by a switch on the front. Whether it works on the PRE out I don't know.

I can't fathom your thinking here. Maybe if you explain what you are trying to achieve someone more knowledgeable than me might be able to help you.

May 26, 2023 at 5:20 AM Post #2,744 of 2,857
I simply wanted to use A3 only as a dac so I said to put the gain low to have as little noise as possible, from what I understand it is not possible to use A3 only as a ""internal multibit dac

May 26, 2023 at 1:06 PM Post #2,745 of 2,857
I simply wanted to use A3 only as a dac so I said to put the gain low to have as little noise as possible, from what I understand it is not possible to use A3 only as a ""internal multibit dac
This comes up occasionally. Schiit’s modular units don’t have a digital out. That’s why I advise friends just starting to get separates, allowing for easy upgrades.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back