Schiit Asgard 3 - Impressions Thread
Nov 17, 2021 at 10:56 PM Post #2,266 of 2,863
Nov 17, 2021 at 11:05 PM Post #2,267 of 2,863
Been using the Tube-01 for over a year now, and it's a keeper. I've A/B with and without, and yeah, the difference is very noticable. I've also gotten some other tubes to roll with. I like the gain adjustment as it helps optimizing the line level to match the Asgard 3 for best dynamics.

Nov 18, 2021 at 9:13 PM Post #2,268 of 2,863
Is it weird that I cannot notice a difference in sound signature between the Asgard 3 and Valhalla 2 (with aftermarket tubes)? They sound virtually identical to my ears.

Nov 18, 2021 at 9:50 PM Post #2,269 of 2,863
Is it weird that I cannot notice a difference in sound signature between the Asgard 3 and Valhalla 2 (with aftermarket tubes)? They sound virtually identical to my ears.
What headphones are you using? Sometimes amp differences are more audible with some headphones than with others. It's also true that in some cases the sonic differences between amps are rather small and may not be evident until after longer listening sessions.

Nov 18, 2021 at 9:54 PM Post #2,270 of 2,863
What headphones are you using? Sometimes amp differences are more audible with some headphones than with others. It's also true that in some cases the sonic differences between amps are rather small and may not be evident until after longer listening sessions.

Currently using my ZMF Aeolus and I also have the HD6XX.

Nov 19, 2021 at 1:09 AM Post #2,271 of 2,863
As Odin412 says, longer listening sessions are usually needed. I find that relatively quick comparisons only highlight frequency response differences (brighter, etc.). For the differences that really matter to me (true timbre, touch, microdetails) I’m listening to a component for a week or so then changing one thing.

Nov 19, 2021 at 12:09 PM Post #2,272 of 2,863
Currently using my ZMF Aeolus and I also have the HD6XX.
Congratulations! Both are wonderful headphones. They also tend to sound good with most amps, meaning that they don't tend to highlight small differences between amps. This is a good thing IMHO and one of the things that I enjoy most about both of these headphones (and I have both myself). I have the Asgard 3 and the original Valhalla, but I haven't heard the Valhalla 2. The original Valhalla sounds wonderful with the HD650 so my best advice is to sit back and enjoy your great headphones and maybe you'll hear some small differences over time. In the meantime, enjoy both amps!

Nov 20, 2021 at 9:19 PM Post #2,273 of 2,863
Can anyone recommend a replacement volume knob?, Nothing to fancy really needed. My stock knob isn't quite round so it rubs the case around the 11spot.

Nov 20, 2021 at 10:00 PM Post #2,275 of 2,863
Can anyone recommend a replacement volume knob?, Nothing to fancy really needed. My stock knob isn't quite round so it rubs the case around the 11spot.
The knob is just pushed in to far. The knob can be removed. To fix your problem just pull on the knob (very tight at first) until there is more clearance from amp chassis.

Nov 21, 2021 at 12:03 AM Post #2,276 of 2,863
The knob is just pushed in to far. The knob can be removed. To fix your problem just pull on the knob (very tight at first) until there is more clearance from amp chassis.
some of the Asgard 3 volume knobs are push-on, others have a recessed hex head (fits 1/16" allen key, IIRC) to loosen the knob.

Nov 21, 2021 at 1:55 PM Post #2,277 of 2,863
Congratulations! Both are wonderful headphones. They also tend to sound good with most amps, meaning that they don't tend to highlight small differences between amps. This is a good thing IMHO and one of the things that I enjoy most about both of these headphones (and I have both myself). I have the Asgard 3 and the original Valhalla, but I haven't heard the Valhalla 2. The original Valhalla sounds wonderful with the HD650 so my best advice is to sit back and enjoy your great headphones and maybe you'll hear some small differences over time. In the meantime, enjoy both amps!

Well ZMF is having their annual sale so I was looking at some B-stock Auteur. Still pretty pricey at around $2,000 Canadian. If I could afford a pair of their new limited edition headphones I would but way out of my price range.

Nov 21, 2021 at 4:32 PM Post #2,278 of 2,863
Bingo, Thanks man. I had a total mind freeze and didn't even think of trying that, Worked perfect.

Nov 21, 2021 at 4:57 PM Post #2,279 of 2,863
Question? I have an Asgard gen 1 that I purchased years ago, when they first came out. I wanted to compare it to the Asgard 3…..well, I took it out the other day for the first time in about 5yrs., and I can’t get it to turn on! I plugged it in and nothing happens. Any ideas what I can do to fix it? I’m sure it’s easy to do, but I’m not mechanically inclined!

Nov 21, 2021 at 5:00 PM Post #2,280 of 2,863
On a related note: I certainly prefer the volume knobs that are secured by the small hex nuts. Those allow me to set the spacing vis-a-vis the amp body and to set minimum volume at “six o’clock” (my quirk).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back