Schiit Asgard 3 - Impressions Thread
Sep 11, 2021 at 12:11 PM Post #2,177 of 2,863
For me, it took several listening hours for the amp to shine but I'm definitely happy with my purchase. I really like the smooth treble, awesome midrange, and naturally detailed sound. The soundstage and separation are okay though, not great.

Next, I will try using my Vali 2 as a pre-amp. :relaxed:
While I was researching the Asgard 3 I read a post from Jason S. from Schiit saying the Asgard 3 will be broken in after 150 hours of signal through the amp. IIRC mine took about 200 hours to fully open up.

Sep 12, 2021 at 12:34 AM Post #2,179 of 2,863
Interesting, that makes total sense. Well I guess I have a long way to go then LOL
When I first got the Asgard 3 and Modius I was not that impressed. Sounded closed in and just not right like the timing was off (poor PRAT). At the same time I also got a new pair of Sony MDR-z7m2. I downloaded Burnwave Generator which is freeware designed to burn-in systems. At a medium volume I ran the whole setup on pink noise every day when I was not around. I set a rest period of 30 mins every 120 mins. When I came home I would watch a movie or play songs I knew well in Tidal to see if anything changed. Slowly the system opened up and changed. The whole burn-in process took about two weeks.

Attachments

• Burnwave Generator.JPG
    Burnwave Generator.JPG
    31.4 KB · Views: 0
Sep 12, 2021 at 8:12 PM Post #2,182 of 2,863
When I first got the Asgard 3 and Modius I was not that impressed. Sounded closed in and just not right like the timing was off (poor PRAT). At the same time I also got a new pair of Sony MDR-z7m2. I downloaded Burnwave Generator which is freeware designed to burn-in systems. At a medium volume I ran the whole setup on pink noise every day when I was not around. I set a rest period of 30 mins every 120 mins. When I came home I would watch a movie or play songs I knew well in Tidal to see if anything changed. Slowly the system opened up and changed. The whole burn-in process took about two weeks.

Yupe, I was in the same boat until after about more than 50 hours when I realized the change.

Sep 12, 2021 at 8:52 PM Post #2,184 of 2,863
I've been using my Asgard 3 for quite a while now and haven't even thought about buying another amp. Why bother?
[note: from another post]. To paraphrase W.C. Fields: “if you feel like upgrading, lie down ‘til the feeling goes away”.

Sep 12, 2021 at 9:41 PM Post #2,186 of 2,863
I've been using my Asgard 3 for quite a while now and haven't even thought about buying another amp. Why bother?
True A3 is a fantastic amp on it's own, but for me I want(ed) two things:
-Tube pre-amp, so I got a Vali2+
-Additional balanced option on my desktop, so I'm looking at getting a Jot2, which didn't exist when I got my A3 a year ago. My A3 will get one of the new ESS DAC cards, and be relocated to another listening station in the house. It will also be very handy to pick up and take on the road...

Sep 12, 2021 at 9:49 PM Post #2,187 of 2,863
Dragon chasing. In this hobby it is a thing. I am in this camp. I also am considering an amp upgrade but has to be more than a little better. The cost of an entire upgrade including a good new balanced cable would be $800+.

Sep 12, 2021 at 9:57 PM Post #2,188 of 2,863
Dragon chasing. In this hobby it is a thing. I am in this camp. I also am considering an amp upgrade but has to be more than a little better. The cost of an entire upgrade including a good new balanced cable would be $800+.
I spend money on DACs. Nothing fancy, over $600 or so. I use an Audiolab transport so I'm old fashioned. 68 years old. I sold a large record collection before an out of state move 2 years ago. On the Hoffman forums I had regular customers willing to pay.
I bought a pair of Focal Clear Pros last year and that's definitely the most I've spent on headphones. Absolutely worth it.

Sep 12, 2021 at 11:29 PM Post #2,189 of 2,863
I spend money on DACs. Nothing fancy, over $600 or so. I use an Audiolab transport so I'm old fashioned. 68 years old. I sold a large record collection before an out of state move 2 years ago. On the Hoffman forums I had regular customers willing to pay.
I bought a pair of Focal Clear Pros last year and that's definitely the most I've spent on headphones. Absolutely worth it.
The Audiolab CDT-6000 is the pinnacle for CD based audio!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back