Schiit Asgard 3 - Impressions Thread
Sep 1, 2021 at 7:50 PM Post #2,161 of 2,857
Really? FedEx is delivering stuff to me in Newcastle all the time the last few weeks, including a package from Schiit.

All of it goes through Sydney at some stage before it gets here.
Mine stuck at Enfield and they got shut down on 27 August. I called them last night, they just now re-opened the facility so no ETA on when they can do the delivery since they are still trying to catch up. Just my luck .. hahaha

Sep 1, 2021 at 7:51 PM Post #2,162 of 2,857
Oh that sucks. Last month I went through a similar situation when FedEx was holding the new Audeze LCD-XC I purchased. Was irritating I could not get my new toy when it was only miles away. Two days ago I was contemplating buying a new black Jot 2 when I saw there was a 60-90 day wait. That could easily turn into a longer delay.
Ya man, really sucks and the worse part is not getting any ETA on the delivery date.

Sep 1, 2021 at 8:02 PM Post #2,163 of 2,857
The good news is if you are getting an Asgard 3 or a Modius in my humble opinion, for the money they are well worth the wait. Both offer outstanding value and have a lot of potential for modding if you are into that.

Sep 1, 2021 at 8:41 PM Post #2,165 of 2,857
I'm getting both actually.
I have had that stack since the beginning of the year. Glad I purchased them. Liked them enough I even modded them. What headphones are you planning to use with the stack?

Sep 1, 2021 at 10:10 PM Post #2,166 of 2,857
My one big issue I have with Schiit DACs is the utter lack in accessing the DAC's features, like choosing which filter you wish to use. It can make a very noticeable difference.

Sep 1, 2021 at 11:42 PM Post #2,168 of 2,857
I have DT 770 Pro, HD 6xxx, and Sundara
Hmmm I have not heard those cans you have before. Will be interesting to know how the stack works for you. FYI for me it took about 200 hours of signal running through the stack for them to fully open up. I was breaking in a pair of cans also at the time so ran pink noise using burn in wave generator (freeware). I can hear the difference during that 200 burn-in time. Also if you do have different interconnects and power cords to experiment with try them. The gear is sensitive enough to different cabling. And lastly the different Modius inputs of USB, Toslink and Spdif sound different. In my setup I preferred Spdif.

Sep 5, 2021 at 8:23 AM Post #2,170 of 2,857
The good news is if you are getting an Asgard 3 or a Modius in my humble opinion, for the money they are well worth the wait. Both offer outstanding value and have a lot of potential for modding if you are into that.

Tell me more about the mods 😀

But I guess I will be waiting for years for something from schiit to be available in Europe.

Sep 5, 2021 at 9:41 PM Post #2,172 of 2,857
Tell me more about the mods 😀

But I guess I will be waiting for years for something from schiit to be available in Europe.
The mods are simple, I did not want to spend much on a stack that costs $470 after tax and shipping. But I wanted to see what dampening the main board, chassis and caps would do. I also shielded the Asgard 3 power transformer with TI-Shield. The end result surprised me, came out better then I thought. This can be done with any gear, all my home gear which is Proceed, Mark Levinson and Lexicon would first get this treatment before I did anything else. I am at work, will give more details and pics of after the mod when I get home. The end result is like on each the Asgard 3 and Modius 2-3 layers of noise level being removed. More resolving, better dynamics (macro and micro), slightly better imaging and separation. Maybe placebo but the Asgard 3 felt more sensitive to cables when trying different interconnects and power cords after the mods. And I also treated all mechanical connections including internal Asgard 3 fuse with Furutech Nano Liquid which was again an improvement. I did the Nano Liquid one set of mechanical connections at a time, listened, allowed 12+ hours of signal through the system, then listened again. I would consider the Nano Liquid more of a tweak and was awesome when used on the Audeze LCD-XC cable.

Sep 6, 2021 at 1:56 AM Post #2,173 of 2,857
The four attached pics show what I did. The dampening material I used is fo.Q T-102. This dampening material is made by a Japanese company that specializes in dampening and vibration products for high end audio. The T-102 has a strong adhesive backing, comes in a package like in the picture and costs about $65 after tax and shipping. Does come from Japan so will take 1-2 weeks to get it after ordering. I purchase mine through eBay and I believe Amazon and Amazon.jp also sell it. Can be purchased from high end audio dealers in US but costs more. In a package you get 2 sheets of the dampening material like you see in the pic. One sheet is pre-cut and the second is a solid piece.

I have used over 10 packs of this material in the last 10 years or so. Can be used in many applications within audio which I will not get into now. Without question the best bang for the buck audio tweak I have found in my 20+ years tweaking and modding high end home audio, period. Easy to apply and can be removed. Is slightly conductive so do not apply where it could short connections. To apply, clean surface with rubbing alcohol (I like using a cotton Q-tip) and then stick on the dampening material. Sonic benefits can be heard immediately after application but full curing of the adhesive takes about 5 days. I single package will treat more then one full headphone system.

Also a very good tweak is the fo.Q T-52 which is a thinner bendable version that works really well with interconnect and power cables. I almost forgot how crazy the internet gets so here is my disclaimer: I do not work for, do not sell or advertise for, or have any affiliation to fo.Q, I only like and use their products. Seriously, this material looks like thick black tape, but what it does to enhance audio performance (when used in the right places) will shock anyone that has never tried it.

If you have questions feel free to ask. Peace

Attachments

• Asgard 3 with TI-Shield and fo.Q T-102.jpg
    Asgard 3 with TI-Shield and fo.Q T-102.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • Asgard 3 fuse with T-102 and Furutech Nano Liquid.jpg
    Asgard 3 fuse with T-102 and Furutech Nano Liquid.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • Asgard 3 fo.Q T-102 under transformer.jpg
    Asgard 3 fo.Q T-102 under transformer.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Schitt Modius traeted with fo.Q T-102.jpg