Schiit Asgard 3 - Impressions Thread
Jan 14, 2021 at 2:47 AM Post #1,726 of 2,863
The Class A vs Class AB refers to the amount of heat generation, with Class A generating a lot more idle heat than a Class AB amplifier of the same output power rating. In the case of the Asgard 2 and Asgard 3 amplifiers, the case acts as a heatsink, so there is a limit to the output power rating (higher rated power = hotter running amp).

For typical dynamic headphones, the efficiency is around 100dB/mW, so output power is ~10mW for 110dB (4 times a loud as a smoke detector). For medium efficiency planars at ~92dB/mW, the output power is ~63mW for 110dB. For most headphones, both Asgard 2 and Asgard 3 will be nowhere near the max power rating.

IOW, the amplifier max power rating (typically measured at 1% distortion???) is not the critical factor (but is often a selling point) unless its under a 100mW for the target load impedance (or rated at 10%THD or higher).

An exception would be the Susvara, which is ~82db/mW IIRC, so peaks of 110dB would need ~630mW, and the A3 should outperform the A2 power-wise in this situation.

To my ears and using a medium efficiency low-impedance (~16 ohm) planar, the A2 (est ~500mW maybe lower, max into 16 ohms) always sounded a bit veiled in the midrange / lower treble, with a somewhat flat soundstage depth. I much prefer the A3's midrange, lower treble and soundstage depth, even though sometimes the bass seems a bit too warm. For my listening, I prefer the high gain mode, and have the volume in the lower 1/4 of its range (nowhere near max rated power).

From an electronics design perspective, the A3's advantage is the Continuity circuit, plus paired-matched transistors. Continuity allows a lower bias current (= cooler at idle) and helps reduce distortion at higher power levels. The paired-matched transistors which help reduce distortion further, are relatively new components and were not available when the Asgard 2 was designed many years ago.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2021 at 2:21 PM Post #1,728 of 2,863
I feel the A3's advantage is being able to play very dynamic passages without fear of clipping which will result in a cleaner deeper sound.

I really appreciate the ongoing comments about the A3. I've got my cabling and Vibrapods ready and waiting! And of course I'm eyeing up more headphones to my Audeze LCD2, B&W P9, and Sennheiser HD-650's. Any recommendation for good headphone matches with this AMP/DAC Asgard/TrueMultibit combo are most welcome!

I guess I won't be seeing mine shipped for another 2-3 weeks. I think the TrueMultibit is causing the fulfillment delay. I guess the Pandemic shortages just about disrupt everything, in our lives, these days.

Jan 14, 2021 at 2:29 PM Post #1,729 of 2,863
I really appreciate the ongoing comments about the A3. I've got my cabling and Vibrapods ready and waiting! And of course I'm eyeing up more headphones to my Audeze LCD2, B&W P9, and Sennheiser HD-650's. Any recommendation for good headphone matches with this AMP/DAC Asgard/TrueMultibit combo are most welcome!

I guess I won't be seeing mine shipped for another 2-3 weeks. I think the TrueMultibit is causing the fulfillment delay. I guess the Pandemic shortages just about disrupt everything, in our lives, these days.

IMHO, the Hifiman HE4XX and Fostex T50RP MK3 are a great starting point for planars. Of course the HD600 and HD650/6XX are equally good if you want to start with a dynamic headphone.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2021 at 6:13 PM Post #1,732 of 2,863
Jan 14, 2021 at 8:00 PM Post #1,733 of 2,863
Dear Schiit please release Asgard 4 with THX 789 like functionality.

1- Balanced i/o to stack with Modius
2- Add 3 output 3.5mm, 6.35mm and XLR BAL
3- Use 3 gain settings with reasonable DB's. Currently low gain is 0db, high gain is 15.6 db. Make it like THX 789.
4- We all know low gain sucks with Asgard 3 but high gain is too much for sensitive headphones. Nowadays every headphone is sensitive. Even Beyerdynamic going for 32 ohm for their T1's.
5- Keep the class a, improve the heat and noise/distortion.

And suddenly the $300.00 amp costs $600 (or more)
? :slight_smile:

Jan 14, 2021 at 8:03 PM Post #1,734 of 2,863
Im late to the party - i just ordered the asgard 3 yesterday . i use tidal and i have a lot of flac and dsd files .i have a topping E30 as my dac and my topping L30 is being replaced due to the recall. ill use the asgard 3 for my iems and a hifiman sundara .

Jan 15, 2021 at 4:50 AM Post #1,735 of 2,863
Dear Schiit please release Asgard 4 with THX 789 like functionality.

And suddenly the $300.00 amp costs $600 (or more)
? :slight_smile:

The Asgard3 is $200 ($199) without DAC card. Add $100 for internal 4490 D/S DAC and another $100 for multibit DAC. The THX is only amp, no DAC option, at $300 ($299) so the Asgard3 is only two thirds the price of the THX.

But I get your point :beyersmile:, adding a lot of features to the Asgard3 not only makes it more expensive, but makes it into something else that it was not really meant to be. And also, if one wants the features of the 789, why not get it instead?

I had my eyes on it myself, but what I suspect would be a more clinical sound from it isn’t something I’d like (I run a tube hybrid - Lyr3 - for my daily listening which fits my tastes perfectly:relaxed:).

Jan 15, 2021 at 5:15 AM Post #1,736 of 2,863
As Lyr 3 is out of stock re 230 V parts, I have instead ordered the Asgard 3 to tide me over with the incoming Bifrost 2!! Cannot wait to hear this pairing with my CD rips in flac!!

Does the Asgard 3/Bifrost 2 require burn-in/cooking time? 😁

Jan 15, 2021 at 6:00 AM Post #1,737 of 2,863
Does the Asgard 3/Bifrost 2 require burn-in/cooking time? 😁
Nope, I haven't experienced anything like that myself, and Schiit has also stated that the BF2/A3 don't need to warm up to sound their best, unlike their older products.

Jan 15, 2021 at 7:43 AM Post #1,740 of 2,863
I ordered just the amp jan 13 . When i ordered it said shipping in 1 to 3 days. I hope thats the case coz i ordered this based on availability as i need the amp soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back