Schiit Asgard 3 - Impressions Thread
Dec 11, 2020 at 6:02 PM Post #1,621 of 2,863
Thats great to hear! I will wait till the end of the year. If nothing happens I'll probably buy something from Topping
6XX being a 650, ergo 300 ohm, perform ideally with some juice. I suggest looking at:

Budget: Topping A30, Schiit Magni3+ / Heresy, JDS Labs Atom
Ideal: SMSL SP200, Liquid Spark, Asgard 3, Magnius (if doing Balanced)

Dec 12, 2020 at 12:47 AM Post #1,622 of 2,863
The shipping to Europe is $90. So it is $290. Include import fees and Asgard 3 is $400 :)
Have you heard the Magni 3+? I like it better than my Asgard 2. I was going to order the Asgard 3 but Schiit was out of stock. I had owned a Magni 3+ before and liked it but sold it to get a balanced amp. Didn't care for the balanced amp so sold it and bought a nice Asgard 2 that I've been using. Anyway bought the 3+ after I sold the Asgard 2 to hold me over but my Focal Clears really match up well with the 3+ so now I'm in no hurry to get the Asgard 3.

Dec 12, 2020 at 12:58 AM Post #1,623 of 2,863
Have you heard the Magni 3+? I like it better than my Asgard 2. I was going to order the Asgard 3 but Schiit was out of stock. I had owned a Magni 3+ before and liked it but sold it to get a balanced amp. Didn't care for the balanced amp so sold it and bought a nice Asgard 2 that I've been using. Anyway bought the 3+ after I sold the Asgard 2 to hold me over but my Focal Clears really match up well with the 3+ so now I'm in no hurry to get the Asgard 3.
I did not. First I wanted to buy Magni 3+/ Heresy but decided to go with A3 because I heard it will be better for HD6xx because of tje extra juice it has.

Dec 12, 2020 at 5:17 AM Post #1,624 of 2,863
Both Magni 3+ and Heresy are pretty powerful, and rated for 410mW max into 300 ohms. The Asgard 3 is rated for 600mW into the same 300 ohms, which is only 1.6dB (not that much, since full power on any of these with Drop/Senn HD 6XX would damage your hearing).

Asgard's advantages are:
1) the nicer 27mm alps volume control for improved channel balance, especially at lower volumes;
2) the continuity output stage, which IMO, is more applicable for lower impedance loads like 16 ohm planars;
3) the ability to accept a DAC card internally.

Right now though, Modi 3+ is better than the 4490 internal card, as Modi 3+ offers Unison USB, plus additional S/PDIF inputs for about the same money (but comes in a separate enclosure that doesn't stack evenly with Asgard 2 / Asgard 3). Modi 3+ stacks nicely with Magni 3+ / Heresy, however.

If your are not in the USA, then the choice may come down to availability from your local distribution and the synergy with your headphones.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2020 at 5:23 AM Post #1,625 of 2,863
Both Magni 3+ and Heresy are pretty powerful, and rated for 410mW max into 300 ohms. The Asgard 3 is rated for 600mW into the same 300 ohms, which is only 1.6dB (not that much, since full power on any of these with Drop/Senn HD 6XX would damage your hearing).

Asgard's advantages are:
1) the nicer 27mm alps volume control for improved channel balance, especially at lower volumes;
2) the continuity output stage, which IMO, is more applicable for lower impedance loads like 16 ohm planars;
3) the ability to accept a DAC card internally.

Right now though, Modi 3+ is better than the 4490 internal card, as Modi 3+ offers Unison USB, plus additional S/PDIF inputs for about the same money (but comes in a separate enclosure that doesn't stack evenly). Modi 3+ also stacks nicely with Magni 3+ / Heresy.

If your are not in the USA, then the choice may come down to availability from your local distribution and the synergy with your headphones.
I don't have the option to demo those amp so it has to be blind buy. I have read somewhere that sound on A3 will be fuller, and will drive HD6xx to full potential? If Magni 3+/Heresy has enough power for HD6xx will the sound be different than on A3? I'm worried if tha sound will be thin on those cheaper amps?

Dec 12, 2020 at 5:39 AM Post #1,626 of 2,863
I don't have the option to demo those amp so it has to be blind buy. I have read somewhere that sound on A3 will be fuller, and will drive HD6xx to full potential? If Magni 3+/Heresy has enough power for HD6xx will the sound be different than on A3? I'm worried if tha sound will be thin on those cheaper amps?
what amps have you used with HD6XX? high impedance (300 ohms) means they need more voltage (not so good driven directly from a mobile phone's jack.) Any of Schiit's production amplifiers would be compatible.

what amps does Schiit europe have in stock?

for full orchestra classical music, the A3 would be the way to go (has better ambience and imaging depth IMO vs the Magni 3+ / Heresy when used with low impedance planars).

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2020 at 6:05 AM Post #1,627 of 2,863
what amps have you used with HD6XX? high impedance (300 ohms) means they need more voltage (not so good driven directly from a mobile phone's jack.) Any of Schiit's production amplifiers would be compatible.

what amps does Schiit europe have in stock?

for full orchestra classical music, the A3 would be the way to go (has better ambience and imaging depth IMO vs the Magni 3+ / Heresy when used with low impedance planars).
I don't have any amp. I have ordered HD6XX 2 weeks ago so I don't have it yet. But I'm looking for amp so when it arrives I will be ready :)

I only have stereo amp Marantz PM6004 + HRT Music Streamer II dac

I also don't listen to classical music.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2020 at 6:32 AM Post #1,628 of 2,863
I don't have any amp. I have ordered HD6XX 2 weeks ago so I don't have it yet. But I'm looking for amp so when it arrives I will be ready :)

I only have stereo amp Marantz PM6004 + HRT Music Streamer II dac

I also don't listen to classical music.

Assuming that Schiit-Europe has no amplifiers in stock, may I suggest an Asgard 2 from Schiit USA b-stock (in black) for $119. Shipping would cost about the same, but you would save in import duties / VAT. From the specs I could dig up, it looks like 380mW into 300 ohms (ample for HD6xx). IMO, A2 has more midrange presence, and a bit less warm in the bass than Asgard 3 (I have compared them side by side). This unit also has the nicer Alps 27mm volume control. Down side for Asgard 2 is that it gets pretty warm (but still cooler than most tube amps).

Also remember that most headphones need a few hours or more of listening to break-in and sound their best.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2020 at 6:36 AM Post #1,629 of 2,863
May I suggest an Asgard 2 from Schiit USA b-stock (in black) for $119. Shipping would cost about the same, but you would save in import duties / VAT. From the specs I could dig up, it looks like 380mW into 300 ohms (ample for HD6xx). IMO, A2 has more midrange presence, and a bit less warm in the bass than Asgard 3 (I have compared them side by side). This unit also has the nicer Alps 27mm volume control. Down side for Asgard 2 is that it gets pretty warm (but still cooler than most tube amps).

Also remember that most headphones need a few hours or more of listening to break-in and sound their best.
Thanks I'll consider A2!

Dec 12, 2020 at 7:14 AM Post #1,630 of 2,863
Just a thought...why not try the headphone out on your PM6004 and see if you like the sound?

If not, then buy a headphone amp. If so, then spend the $400 on music...or an extra set of headphones...or both! :beerchug:

BTW, I say this owning the Asgard 3 which replaced my Valhalla 2 (OTL tube rolling/matching/etc. is not for me).

Dec 12, 2020 at 9:30 AM Post #1,631 of 2,863
Just a thought...why not try the headphone out on your PM6004 and see if you like the sound?

If not, then buy a headphone amp. If so, then spend the $400 on music...or an extra set of headphones...or both! :beerchug:

BTW, I say this owning the Asgard 3 which replaced my Valhalla 2 (OTL tube rolling/matching/etc. is not for me).
Actually I have listened several headphones through Marantz, such as HD598, NAD Viso HP, HD58X and they all sound good to me :).

I have never tried dedicated headphone amp so I really don't know if there will be any difference.

If I spend $300 on amp, and there is no difference, or the difference is small, that would be such a shame because I can buy another headpones for that money.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2020 at 9:58 AM Post #1,632 of 2,863
I purchased my A3 blind and based on reviews here and elsewhere. I could not be happier considering the price, warranty, sound, etc.

Dec 12, 2020 at 10:14 AM Post #1,633 of 2,863
The little Magni 3+ is not thin sounding and actually has more power than the Asgard 2. I liked my Asgard 2 but actually prefer the Magni 3+. But you can make grilled cheese sandwiches on top of the Adgard 2, plenty of class A heat. If it were me I'd wait for the Asgard 3 to be in stock or pay for the Asgard 3 delivery from the US.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 12, 2020 at 3:01 PM Post #1,634 of 2,863
like @GearMe said, why not try the HD6XX with your Marantz first? give it a week or two.

On the main thread, Jason has recommended to get headphones first, then choose an amp to match it to get the sound you want. The HRT DAC has s good reputation.

One advantage of the Asgard 2 and 3 (or the other amps in the mid-sized chassis, e.g. Magnius and Jotunheim) is the nicer 27mm Alps volume control, better channel tracking at low volumes, very smooth rotation, and less likely to be scratchy when changing volume than the smaller 9mm controls used in Magni 3+ / Heresy.

Asgards have a five year warranty, so they're pretty reliable.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2020 at 7:33 PM Post #1,635 of 2,863
The shipping to Europe is $90. So it is $290. Include import fees and Asgard 3 is $400 :)
You don't specify where you are "in Europe". Thinking $90 sounded high, I went to the Schiit site, put an Asgard 3 in the cart, and went to check out.

I chose a central European destination, Berlin, postal code 10115. FedEx International Economy $55.75. 2-4 days, tracked and insured.

As far as "import fees"; isn't it standard to charge VAT on any purchase made in the EU?

I could care less what you choose for your headphone amp. I do care that you throw shade on a US brand with inaccurate information.

Happy listening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back