Schiit Asgard 3 - Impressions Thread
Dec 11, 2020 at 2:57 AM Post #1,606 of 2,863
Does it make sense to buy Modius if I don't use balanced amp?
Sure, why not? I bought a Bifrost to use with Asgard 3, very happy with SE performance. Maybe one day I'll get a balanced amp, eg if Jotunheim gets a refresh, or I find something else that i like, but for now I'm not worrying about the additional expense of balanced cables and whatnot.

Dec 11, 2020 at 3:35 AM Post #1,607 of 2,863
Does it make sense to buy Modius if I don't use balanced amp?

You have the option to use an internal DAC card if you prefer not to stack a separate DACs and Amp. I sort of like the neatness of an internal card and went with the 4490. The Modius wasn't out yet and the Modi is a smaller footprint (so would stack somewhat awkwardly--not that many people haven't done so).

The Modius has new DAC chips and an improved USB connection, plus additional connections if you need to feed a variety of sources. So not a bad option if you want separates. The gear is such high value that I don't think you can go too wrong here.

If you need feed more that one amp the Modius is a no brainer. If not, are the upgrades worth the trade off of having a stack? I think many people would argue for the Modius vs an internal DAC card. I'm liking the minimalism one one box and have nothing else in this set up to feed. So I'm happy. Had the Modius been out I'd would have likely wrestled with the decision. But do like one box vs two.

Bill

Dec 11, 2020 at 3:35 PM Post #1,608 of 2,863
So Modius is a DAC to go with Asgard 3?
The Modius is a very nice tricked out AK4493 solution. My only niggle is that it lacks the ability to change the Impulse Filters. My SMSL M300 MKII, which is the newer AK4497 (and once flagship) DAC, is only $239 and allows for changing filters and has an even-order harmonic color shaping option. (I don't use the last option since I have a tube preamp)

I plan to get a Bifrost 2 eventually to stack on my Asgard 3.

Dec 11, 2020 at 3:38 PM Post #1,609 of 2,863
I hope that Asgard 3 will be in stock in about 2-3 weeks. If not, I'll have to buy another amp for HD6XX because I cant wait any longer.

And I don't have a clue what to get

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back