Schiit Asgard 3 - Impressions Thread
Nov 25, 2020 at 11:40 PM Post #1,577 of 2,863
Maybe a test for fellow Asgard 3 owners to do before I start chasing ghosts. When in high gain with the volume knob turned all the way up I can hear a lot of white noise, buzzing that changes from low to high frequency. I noticed this while watching a movie that's in Dobly Digital Plus where I have to crank the volume to get it to an appropriate level. Just wondering if I have some sort of disruption in my chain that's causing this noise.

Nov 26, 2020 at 1:57 AM Post #1,578 of 2,863
I had a similar problem due to a noisy USB out from my computer, which I solved with an ifi Defender.

When I switched to Bifrost 2 with Unison, the noise disappeared.

This is, of course, assuming that you’re using Asgard 3 with an internal DAC card.

Nov 26, 2020 at 4:25 AM Post #1,579 of 2,863
Maybe a test for fellow Asgard 3 owners to do before I start chasing ghosts. When in high gain with the volume knob turned all the way up I can hear a lot of white noise, buzzing that changes from low to high frequency. I noticed this while watching a movie that's in Dobly Digital Plus where I have to crank the volume to get it to an appropriate level. Just wondering if I have some sort of disruption in my chain that's causing this noise.

My MBP->USB->BF2->A3 is black with high gain cranked all the way up, nothing playing of course...

Not likely to be the amp, what source are you using for that? Anything else you can test with, just to confirm whether it could be the amp?

Nov 26, 2020 at 5:50 PM Post #1,583 of 2,863

from a digital source, you shouldn't normally have to crank the volume on the A3 up that much. perhaps the volume control on the digital source is turned down. best performance would be achieved with the digital source set to 100% and turn down the A3.

buzzing that changes in frequency is likely digital noise from the source computer / DAP via the USB connection. if you power down the digital source, but leave the USB cabling connected the frequency-varying noise should reduce in volume or disappear. (with most headphones in a quiet environment there will always be a bit of white noise & residual hum with the volume maxxed). For eliminating the USB conducted noise, you can try something like the iFi that others have mentioned or use an external DAC with isolated USB (for Schiit, these would be Bifrost OG / BF2 / Gungnir / Yggy, equipped with gen 5 or Unison. If you are on a budget, look into a used Bifrost OG + Bifrost Gen 5 USB. Note that Modius, while it has Unison USB, does not have the electromagnetic USB isolation that the larger / more expensive external DACs do.

For my own setup, my A3 (high gain setting) is fed via RCA analog from a Bifrost OG multibit with Gen 5 USB connected to both an old desktop PC via USB and coaxial (RCA) S/PDIF from a DVD/CD player without any digital noise issues. Noise floor is about the same with the USB connected & PC powered up as when USB is disconnected.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2020 at 6:43 PM Post #1,584 of 2,863
I'm looking forward to owning one. I'm ordering one Friday and if I like it, which I'm sure I will, my Asgard 2 will go on Ebay.

So did you get it? What are your impressions vs. the Asgard 2? I've always been a bit disappointed by the Asgard 2 coupled with the HE-500, just seems slightly underpowered and I have to crank the knob further than I'd like for some songs. If Asgard 3 provides similar quality of sound with more power, I'm all for upgrading.

Dec 3, 2020 at 7:01 PM Post #1,585 of 2,863
So did you get it? What are your impressions vs. the Asgard 2? I've always been a bit disappointed by the Asgard 2 coupled with the HE-500, just seems slightly underpowered and I have to crank the knob further than I'd like for some songs. If Asgard 3 provides similar quality of sound with more power, I'm all for upgrading.
The Asgard 3 has been backordered but is supposed to be in stock in a week or so. I had owned a Magni 3+ before so I just ordered another one of those a few weeks ago. I believe it has 2.5 times the power of the Asgard 2 and my Focal Clears are easy to drive. It's funny to drive a set of headphones that cost as much as the Clears with a hundred dollar amp but they make beautiful music together. I'm in no hurry to buy the Asgard 3 now but probably will eventually. Probably.

Dec 7, 2020 at 1:32 AM Post #1,586 of 2,863
Hi guys,

I have ordered HD6XX and decided to buy Asgard 3, only amp. I have DAC HRT Music Streamer II.

Will this setup be good enough or should I buy new DAC? What whould be good DAC to go with Asgard 3 and HD6XX?

Thanks!

Dec 7, 2020 at 2:27 AM Post #1,587 of 2,863
Hi guys,

I have ordered HD6XX and decided to buy Asgard 3, only amp. I have DAC HRT Music Streamer II.

Will this setup be good enough or should I buy new DAC? What whould be good DAC to go with Asgard 3 and HD6XX?

Thanks!

If the HD6XX are new, allow some time for driver break-in.

Try A3 & HD6XX out with your present DAC first.

Change is coming with regard to DACs, some of it caused by the AKM factory fire. Schiit has about 1 yr parts stocked up, so no rush short term. You can always re-post at a future time for DAC recommendations. Jason just released the Modi 3+ with Unison USB chip a few days ago-- so the AK4490 modular DAC card, Multibit DAC card, and standalone Modi Multibit may also be updated to Unison USB chip at some future point (maybe a week, 3 months, or never)

Dec 7, 2020 at 6:47 PM Post #1,590 of 2,863
Anybody here using the Asgard with HD 660S?

I read that they fall somewhere between the low and high gain settings for listenable volume range. Obviously this is different for everyone but is this a problem for most who have the HD 660S?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back