Schiit Asgard 3 - Impressions Thread
Oct 29, 2020 at 4:28 PM Post #1,532 of 2,857
Today I set up the Asgard 3 to act as a preamp to a set of powered speakers. I found it odd that the Low and High Gain settings still apply, and to not use the preamp out with High Gain. :wink: Don't like the idea I have to unplug the headphones, tho. So now I have my nice SMSL M300 MKII and tube preamp feeding speakers. :)

Oct 29, 2020 at 4:40 PM Post #1,533 of 2,857
Today I set up the Asgard 3 to act as a preamp to a set of powered speakers. I found it odd that the Low and High Gain settings still apply, and to not use the preamp out with High Gain. :wink: Don't like the idea I have to unplug the headphones, tho. So now I have my nice SMSL M300 MKII and tube preamp feeding speakers. :)
But you like the Asgard 3 as a headphone amp?

Oct 30, 2020 at 12:06 AM Post #1,536 of 2,857
I have a pair of powered monitors hooked up to my Asgard 2. Moving up to the Asgard 3 in a couple of weeks.
would appreciate if you post your DAC, HP, speaker info + thoughts at first listen, then also a few weeks later, to see if your impressions change.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2020 at 12:42 AM Post #1,537 of 2,857
would appreciate if you post your DAC, HP, speaker info + thoughts at first listen, then also a few weeks later, to see if your impressions change.
This Asgard 2 was new when I bought it and I wasn't that wild about it at first but the more hours I used it the smoother it sounded to my ears. I thought the top end was a little harsh. I dont know if that's me getting used to it or if that's breaking in. Opinions differ. I use a Modius as an external DAC on a Marantz CD5003. I've owned the Modi multibit, Modi 4490, Bifrost multibit, Bifrost 4490, and Topping D50s. Ive preferred the ladder DACs in the past but the Modius is my favorite. I've been using Sennheiser HD650's and recently bought a pair of Focal Clear headphones.
I use a Philip's 680 with a TD1541A R1 chip in it with the Asgard for a different sound occasionally.
I forgot speakers, Mackie with the 5 inch woofers. Seldom used but they work ok.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 30, 2020 at 3:03 AM Post #1,538 of 2,857
Shouldn't really matter about high gain and low gain in the preamp. Don't think that will clip the output Amp of Active speakers i just usally have the player in windows set to 90% volume and control the speakers with the remote. So when finished listening to music i turn volume down on headphone amp and unplug the headphones so the speakers don't go pop lol

Oct 30, 2020 at 1:04 PM Post #1,539 of 2,857
Shouldn't really matter about high gain and low gain in the preamp.
That's my point. For a preout it shouldn't matter. However, it does affect the gain of the preamp line-out. On high gain, I can definitely blow out my powered speakers. Just something for A3 users to keep in mind if using this kind of setup. Keeping it on Low Gain for now, seems to be best match up.

Oct 30, 2020 at 2:05 PM Post #1,540 of 2,857
That's my point. For a preout it shouldn't matter. However, it does affect the gain of the preamp line-out. On high gain, I can definitely blow out my powered speakers. Just something for A3 users to keep in mind if using this kind of setup. Keeping it on Low Gain for now, seems to be best match up.
When i unplug my headphones even though its on high gain i turn the volume right down on the asgard so im not clipping my active speakers and control the speakers by there volume remote

Nov 1, 2020 at 10:31 PM Post #1,543 of 2,857
I’m sure this question has been asked and answered but I can’t find it - should I turn off the Asgard when I’m not using it?
I always do, not sure if that is 'best practice' or not, but I just cannot justify running extra electrons through it if I'm not using it.

Don't notice any difference on 'warm up' or anything, but maybe my ears are just not tuned to that sort of thing...

Nov 1, 2020 at 11:13 PM Post #1,544 of 2,857
I turn my on every morning when I get to my desk and I leave it on all day till I'm done for the day, even if there's a couple of hours here and there where I'm not using it. It doesn't really get that warm (at least not compared to tube amps) so I figure 8-10 hrs a day turned on is no big deal for energy consumption. As far as electronics life, I've read multiple instances of Schiit amps (at least solid state amps) lasting for years continuously turned on so I think I'm safe.

Nov 1, 2020 at 11:57 PM Post #1,545 of 2,857
I’m sure this question has been asked and answered but I can’t find it - should I turn off the Asgard when I’m not using it?

re: leaving A3 it on all the time

pros: keeps unit thermally stable (thermal cycling from heating / cooling can reduce semiconductor life); no turn-on/ turn-off pops & clicks with HP's connected (IMHO, may be more of a concern with IEM's)

cons: consumes about 11 watts (a lot less than the typical computer / monitor setup)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back