Schiit Asgard 3 - Impressions Thread
Oct 15, 2020 at 3:45 PM Post #1,501 of 2,857
Thanks all for your input. I've read that most owners who had the A2 like the A3 better and I'd say the same probably goes for the Magni 3+. I'm a Schiit fan, owned 5 of their DACs now, and I think you get a lot of bang for your buck. I think that the A2 is a great class A amp but the A3 has more power and other refinements. So now the decision is do I buy the Focal Clear headphones that I want and hold off an the A3 for a month or so and buy the Clear headphones now. Dying to try the Focal's and the A2 would have no trouble providing enough juice.
Yes -- Focals then the A3 later. I say this owning the Clear Pros and A3/Bifrost...especially since you'll be getting the A3 in a month or so anyway.

TBH, if I had to choose between Clears and A3 (no option to acquire A3 later or for a long time), I'd still say get the Clears. My $.02...transducers matter more than amps -- especially when you've got a solid amp already!

Oct 15, 2020 at 3:49 PM Post #1,502 of 2,857
Okay I got my Asgard 3 a few days ago.

Initial reaction from unboxing was "wow this thing has some weight to it, this is $199?! This makes my other amp feel like a toy..."

After a few days of comparing to my old amp I noticing better dynamic swings (as in things got loud but only when called for). In fact I think I can enjoy the average volume being a bit lower now and I'm not always reaching to turn it up (for sure a good thing for the longevity of my ears). But when I do need to adjust the volume the pot is much smoother (less initial force required) which makes it more enjoyable to operate. Treble seems less harsh/peaky but that could also be related to me listening a bit quieter overall.

Mostly listening with my Focal Clear Pro's but still have some other cans around too.

Overall though I love the Asgard 3 and think it's a steal for $199. I think a lot of new comers will be more interested in Magni Hersey and Magnius for the measurements (to be fair Asgard 3 still measures insanely well, I'm just saying people new to the hobby it's easy for them to put faith in specs) but all I can say is I don't miss the measurements from my previous amp and think this is a better experience overall.

Stacked with a Bifrost 2 it looks absolutely beautiful on my desk. I think I'm a Schiit-head for life now...

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2020 at 3:54 PM Post #1,503 of 2,857
Yes -- Focals then the A3 later. I say this owning the Clear Pros and A3/Bifrost...especially since you'll be getting the A3 in a month or so anyway.

TBH, if I had to choose between Clears and A3 (no option to acquire A3 later or for a long time), I'd still say get the Clears. My $.02...transducers matter more than amps -- especially when you've got a solid amp already!
That's my thinking too. I'm using a Modius as an external DAC on my older Marantz CD5003. I've owned a Modi multibit, Bifrost multibit, Modi 3, and Bifrost 4490 and the Modius is a favorite with the Modi multibit right behind it. The A2 Works well with the Modius and my HD650's. Buying the Clears now will only delay the A3 around a month.
Thanks for your input.

Oct 15, 2020 at 3:56 PM Post #1,504 of 2,857
For classical, jazz and other well recorded non-electronic music, the A3 has much better imaging, depth and width, than the A2 and the Magni 3+. The A3 also has less veiling of the mids and highs than the A2, with my low-impedance planars, to my ears.

Why not try the Clears first with your A2? The spec I could find listed 55 ohms and 104dB/mW SPL, so they should get plenty loud with the A2. IIRC, full rated power of 1W for the A2 into 32 and 50 ohm loads (less with either low or high impedances). I'm not sure they would even cause an A3 to get into the operating range where the Continuity circuit starts to kick in under normal listening, even with dynamic material.

Asgard 2 / Asgard 3 volume pots definitely nicer than the one on Magni 3+.
I think that's the way to go. A2 has plenty of juice for my HD650's and the Clears shouldn't be any problem. Thanks!

Oct 15, 2020 at 6:32 PM Post #1,507 of 2,857
I'll get the straight amp. Love the Modius that I'm using but plan on a Bifrost 2 in the future. I had a balanced amp, Rubert Neve RNHP, but sold it. Nice amp, really well built. Switching back and forth between balanced and SE on the Neve resulted in different volume levels and that's really the only difference that I noticed. The Neve has three buttons on the front that you can change the inputs while playing music.

Oct 15, 2020 at 7:10 PM Post #1,508 of 2,857
Stacked with a Bifrost 2 it looks absolutely beautiful on my desk.
It probably sounds even better :beyersmile:

I've had the same stack for about 3 weeks now, and every day I'm discovering/re-discovering something amazing streaming Tidal through it to my CA Cascades.

Would you get the Asgard with the DAC or would you get it built-in? Also, any regrets not going for a balanced output amp?

I like having the option of maybe one day getting an internal DAC card for the A3, for example if I ever return to the office it would be convenient. But otherwise standalone DAC gives you much more flexibility for a home-office/desktop setup.

SE performance with the BF2/Asgard3 is fantastic, and I don't have any balanced cables/HPs anyway, so I can't miss what I don't have (yet....)

Oct 17, 2020 at 7:10 PM Post #1,509 of 2,857
For those that have listened to both Asgard 2 and Asgard 3,

is the difference in sound between "high" and "low" gain settings on Asgard 3 as noticeable as it is on Asgard2?
I have been a regular owner of the Asgard 3 with Hifiman Sundara cans for 6 months. I have only turned it off one time for a hurricane. I can only reply that 90% of my listening in low gain at about 5 o clock is my sweet spot. I have wondered if having the gain knob at~90% takes it that far out of the circuit, toward a passive piece. I listen usually to ambient, modern chamber jazz, and chamber classical. It is so good to know that I can rock out in 'high gain' when I feel like it! I have Effect Audio Eros 2+ coming for Christmas.
This is my third incarnation and it has been by far the best one! Jouissance

Oct 17, 2020 at 7:13 PM Post #1,510 of 2,857
This is my third incarnation and it has been by far the best one! Jouissance

+1 about the A3. (note that the second paragraph about the Sundara isn't me)

I have owned A2 since 2019 just before the A3's introduction, and most recently received my A3 which had been on backorder about a month. so far I prefer the A3's high gain mode (but low gain is possibly equal to or better than A2 on high gain with my setup)

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2020 at 7:49 PM Post #1,511 of 2,857
Would you get the Asgard with the DAC or would you get it built-in? Also, any regrets not going for a balanced output amp?

I ordered my A3 with the 4490 DAC card. Fooling around led me to try it with a Modi Multibit, and there was just more "interest" in the music with the MM. One thing led to another (as it always seems to happen in audio) and now there is a Bifrost 2 sitting beneath the A3. Moral of the story? That $100 add-on card is now a digital reminder to go big. Unless you are convinced you won't go for more, save that $100 and get what you want. Or, perhaps this: get the A3 – no card – and a Modi for $99. If you're happy, you're done. If you want more, you can sell the Modi.

Oct 17, 2020 at 8:57 PM Post #1,512 of 2,857
I ordered my A3 with the 4490 DAC card. Fooling around led me to try it with a Modi Multibit, and there was just more "interest" in the music with the MM. One thing led to another (as it always seems to happen in audio) and now there is a Bifrost 2 sitting beneath the A3. Moral of the story? That $100 add-on card is now a digital reminder to go big. Unless you are convinced you won't go for more, save that $100 and get what you want. Or, perhaps this: get the A3 – no card – and a Modi for $99. If you're happy, you're done. If you want more, you can sell the Modi.
Thanks for the feedback. I placed an order for the Asgard 3 and modius the other night. Eagerly awaiting shipment.

Oct 17, 2020 at 9:43 PM Post #1,513 of 2,857
Thanks for the feedback. I placed an order for the Asgard 3 and modius the other night. Eagerly awaiting shipment.
My Modius and Asgard 2 sound great. I've tried balanced and SE, on a Neve amp, and couldn't tell much difference except volume level. I've owned the Modi multibit and Bifrost multibit, Modi 3, Bifrost 4490, and the Modius is my favorite.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back