Schiit Asgard 3 - Impressions Thread
Aug 28, 2020 at 10:14 PM Post #1,354 of 2,857
for Sennheiser HD series, there are replacement pads, that depending on the construction / materials, can tune the sound between analytical, dark, warm, etc.

Modius pricing is determined by the parts & production costs. some users prefer the D/S sound, others prefer the Multibit DACs, which are more expensive because of the higher parts costs including the R2R DAC and DSP chips.

perhaps you can locate another head-fier nearby that has one of the Schiit Multibit DACs (Modi Multibit, Bifrost OG, or Bifrost 2) and do a listening session (taking COVID-19 precautions of course) comparing against Modius.

I think that if you start with the Modius first, you could potentially trade-up during the 15-day trial period, (but would pay shipping both directions. best to check with Schiit about this)

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2020 at 5:21 AM Post #1,355 of 2,857
Hello guys,
I want to ask if the Asgard 3 has the "glare/distortion/shoutiness" in the high-mids like the Magni 3? I like almost everything about the Magni 3 except its hash midrange. It makes high notes unbearable and hard to understand sometimes.
Thank you so much

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2020 at 11:56 AM Post #1,356 of 2,857
Hello guys,
I want to ask if the Asgard 3 has the "glare/distortion/shoutiness" in the high-mids like the Magni 3? I like almost everything about the Magni 3 except its hash midrange. It makes high notes unbearable and hard to understand sometimes.
Thank you so much
For me, I think the mids are one of the very strong points of the Asgard 3!!! Extremely smooth, in high gain, through my HE400i's ears!!!

Aug 29, 2020 at 2:21 PM Post #1,358 of 2,857
Going from the Magni to the Asgard the one noticeable thing that stands out is the added dynamic headroom with rock music with soft passages to extreme slam it is noticeable.

And especially noticeable on higher impedance headphones.

In my brief comparison testing there was a significant difference when playing back through HD650/6xx headphone vs listening on low impedance headphone when comparing the Magni and the Asgard.

Since my main listening is on 300 ohm cans, the choice was an easy one to make. I'd be more agnostic with 32 ohm headphones.

Bill

Aug 29, 2020 at 2:21 PM Post #1,359 of 2,857
My AS3/MB just got delivered and is sitting in a box over there. I suppose I should get up off my lazy ___ and connect it up?

Aug 29, 2020 at 5:04 PM Post #1,361 of 2,857
I don’t know. The box is awfully nice.😂 But in all seriousness I would only go down that rabbit hole if you had some solid time to really get into your music collection.
I'm burning it in now. Cold it was harsh/strident and not what my Beyerdynamic DT770 want. After an hour, better, crazy detailed.

Aug 29, 2020 at 9:07 PM Post #1,363 of 2,857
Hello guys,
Thank you so much
No.

Aug 29, 2020 at 9:30 PM Post #1,364 of 2,857
MultiBit likes to be powered. Gumby takes days even my D/S Rega DAC takes a couple days to take the edge off the treble. The rega sounds like a$$ before a couple days.
Yeah, my Gumby took 4 days, IIRC. Thank goodness this is listenable after 7h. I expect it to get better than it is now.

At the moment it's velvety, with a nice silent background. Dire Straits and David Bowie sound pretty fine right now. And this is with compressed audio!
Transients nice and fast, too, so please don't interpret velvet as syrupy.

P.S my idle AS3/MB, just sitting there, measures 100.0F. Seems a bit warm.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back