Schiit Asgard 3 - Impressions Thread
Aug 26, 2020 at 12:18 PM Post #1,336 of 2,857
The A3 is a bargain as is, and I believe Jason Stoddard’s comments that it’s very tight $ margin wise. Those that want or need a bunch of other features should just buy something else.

Aug 26, 2020 at 12:26 PM Post #1,337 of 2,857
The A3 is a bargain as is, and I believe Jason Stoddard’s comments that it’s very tight $ margin wise. Those that want or need a bunch of other features should just buy something else.
I am not sure that is a fair comment. Unless I'm missing something, most of the posters on that topic are comfortable paying for a simple line-in card. In fact, I'm not entirely sure who the target market was with the phono card since most vinyl junkies I know who would care enough about sonics to buy a dedicated headphone amp are very particular about their phono pre (and cartidges and platters and cable and plinths and spindle weights.....)

Aug 26, 2020 at 12:41 PM Post #1,338 of 2,857
There's a tension here between the desire for the best sound, which tends to dictate having separate boxes for every part of the audio chain, and the reality that many of us need to limit the number of boxes. The shift to digital audio has prompted a shift of sound systems to our desks, whereas once we were ok with having our hi-fi systems somewhere else in the room, perhaps even in its own cabinet. Once we were comfortable with having to get up from the desk to change the record or even a CD. Now, no, and the fact of the matter is that I do most of my listening at my desk while I work, in an office that lacks the space. I don't even have a bookshelf to spare. And I bet I'm not alone. Anyway, I'm surprised there are so few all-in-ones offered...but then, of course, we run into the mandate to have separate components for each step in the chain...

It is a boon to have one box, without RCA cables linking "stacks" (or any wall-warts to add clutter below). The A3 is a fantastic value and sounds great.

Schiit offers a very good return policy. I'd advise taking the leap and ordering the A3 / 4490. I employ mine for "serious listening." I could not be happier. Should you feel otherwise upon review with your own ears, you could return it, and you'd have something to post about. LOL. I don't think you'd find the amp/DAC lacking. Really.

Bill

Aug 26, 2020 at 7:19 PM Post #1,339 of 2,857
I am not sure that is a fair comment. Unless I'm missing something, most of the posters on that topic are comfortable paying for a simple line-in card. In fact, I'm not entirely sure who the target market was with the phono card since most vinyl junkies I know who would care enough about sonics to buy a dedicated headphone amp are very particular about their phono pre (and cartidges and platters and cable and plinths and spindle weights.....)
Looks like I busted my own rule about not telling others what they “should or shouldn’t“ do. So my replacement comment would be “Those that want or need other features may be well served by considering other products.” :rolling_eyes: Now on to happy hour.

Aug 28, 2020 at 11:41 AM Post #1,340 of 2,857
I guess I am very lucky to have gotten the RCA line card when I ordered my A3. It was an extra $20. I didnt have any problem installing it. It was a bit tight but not a problem.
I am able to have the Bifrost in on one set and the Mani in on the other.

Aug 28, 2020 at 5:32 PM Post #1,343 of 2,857
So the question is, Magnius or Asgard 3 with the Modius? I have the Magni 3+ / Modi 3 combo now and enjoy it but want to level up a bit.
choice may depend on the headphones. for low impedance planars, Asgard 3 since it has class A / Continuity(tm), plus 5yr warranty.

if you see a full-range 2-channel system with dual monoblocks in your future, then Magnius.

Aug 28, 2020 at 6:37 PM Post #1,346 of 2,857
Can you expand a bit on why? Too analytical?

I have an Empyrean coming so I want what will sound better between the two

The magnius is a chip amp and it sounds like sandpaper, collapsed 2d stage and fatiguing. Going back to asgard 3 was a breath of fresh air. Magnius is well built looks cool has XLR probably better as a pre amp than headphone amp. I didn't like with bifrost 2 or modius balanced or SE.

Asgard 3 just has the character I like, it doesn't sound like a SS amp that's $200 (like the magnius) it punches way above asking price IMO. Read about the design and the discrete output stage in the schiit blog. Don't worry about balanced VS single ended, at the end of the day it's about sound preferences and synergy.

Aug 28, 2020 at 6:40 PM Post #1,347 of 2,857
The magnius is a chip amp and it sounds like sandpaper, collapsed 2d stage and fatiguing. Going back to asgard 3 was a breath of fresh air. Magnius is well built looks cool has XLR probably better as a pre amp than headphone amp. I didn't like with bifrost 2 or modius balanced or SE.

Asgard 3 just has the character I like, it doesn't sound like a SS amp that's $200 (like the magnius) it punches way above asking price IMO. Read about the design and the discrete output stage in the schiit blog. Don't worry about balanced VS single ended, at the end of the day it's about sound preferences and synergy.
I totally agree. btw which dacs have you tried with this? I am using asgard 3 with modius. Wondering if it's worth upgrading to either smsl m400 or schiit bifrost 2.

Aug 28, 2020 at 7:13 PM Post #1,348 of 2,857
IMO, for something (expensive) like the Empyrean, the Asgard 3 would be the better choice. longer warranty means longer MTBF (mean time between failures).

I have compared Asgard 2 (discrete, prev gen unit) vs Magni 3+ and Magni Heresy (chip amp, but diff parts than Magnius) and imaging and soundstage is much better on Asgard 2 vs both Magni units using some planars much less expensive than Empyrean.

Aug 28, 2020 at 7:19 PM Post #1,349 of 2,857
IMO, for something (expensive) like the Empyrean, the Asgard 3 would be the better choice. longer warranty means longer MTBF (mean time between failures).

I have compared Asgard 2 (discrete, prev gen unit) vs Magni 3+ and Magni Heresy (chip amp, but diff parts than Magnius) and imaging and soundstage is much better on Asgard 2 vs both Magni units using some planars much less expensive than Empyrean.
I appreciate your help... I asked to modify my order from a magnius / modius to an asgard 3 / modius.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back