Schiit Asgard 3 - Impressions Thread
Aug 24, 2020 at 11:50 PM Post #1,321 of 2,857
@Jason Stoddard from what i recall, there was, momentarily, an RCA input card for the modular amps (discontinued because of fitment issues, dual jacks usually on 14mm centers, etc.) have you considered making one with stereo 3.5mm jack instead (would force users to get an adapter to 2x female RCA...) but would possibly resolve any fitment issue?
I would install one in my Asgard 3 in a heartbeat.

Aug 25, 2020 at 7:44 AM Post #1,323 of 2,857
Forgive me, but I don't understand. Don't A3s already have RCA in? What is the point of a card with an RCA input?

It enables you to hook it up with two different sources without the need to unplug and replug cables every time you want to switch from one to the other.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2020 at 8:27 AM Post #1,324 of 2,857
One argument in the A3's favor is that I would future proof for future headphone purchases. Maybe I'll want cans that are harder to push than the hd650? Or, maybe I'll rediscover my DT880/600?

Would a Magni suffice for an LCD-2? That's what I think might be my next big purchase.

'Future proofing' makes sense...especially if you think you'll be getting some harder to push cans.

FWIW...I got rid of my Valhalla and picked up an Asgard 3. Was tired of the tube matching/rolling/etc.

Am very happy with it. Senns (660, 6XX) and Beyers (880, Amiron) sound quite nice through the A3 (paired w/Bifrost). Clears & LCD-XCs sound great as well!

Great amp for the $$$

Aug 25, 2020 at 8:34 AM Post #1,325 of 2,857
Ok, so let's say I get the A3 w/ DAC card. Now help me out here. I have two sources for audio, my Macbook and my Android phone (I use the phone for Tidal, which is blocked on my work-issue PC, and I also keep flac files on the phone and play them via Foobar). I'd like not to have to keep plugging and unplugging...

I see that the USB input is that old school big square thing like what I plug into my printer. What would happen if I connected the A3 to a USB hub, and then connected both the phone and the Mac to the hub? Either a hub dedicated for this purpose, or the USB hub I already have and use to connect the printer? Or am I stuck with having that one USB line to the A3 and switching it manually from the Mac to the phone?

Aug 25, 2020 at 8:48 AM Post #1,326 of 2,857
It enables you to hook it up with two different sources without the need to unplug and replug cables every time you want to switch from one to the other.
What he/she said. I'd like to be able to switch between my dac/phono preamp.

Aug 25, 2020 at 11:45 AM Post #1,328 of 2,857
A Sys works, but it's a little inelegant. Also you then have a second volume pot in there, which may or may not be a good thing. I used to use a Sys to reduce the volume coming into my amp, so I had more volume control on the amp.

Aug 25, 2020 at 12:25 PM Post #1,329 of 2,857
Ok, so let's say I get the A3 w/ DAC card. Now help me out here. I have two sources for audio, my Macbook and my Android phone (I use the phone for Tidal, which is blocked on my work-issue PC, and I also keep flac files on the phone and play them via Foobar). I'd like not to have to keep plugging and unplugging...

I see that the USB input is that old school big square thing like what I plug into my printer. What would happen if I connected the A3 to a USB hub, and then connected both the phone and the Mac to the hub? Either a hub dedicated for this purpose, or the USB hub I already have and use to connect the printer? Or am I stuck with having that one USB line to the A3 and switching it manually from the Mac to the phone?
I don’t know if it would work with a hub but I bet it would definitely work with a USB switch. I think there is one by sabrent with two inputs and a button on top to choose your source.

Aug 25, 2020 at 1:22 PM Post #1,331 of 2,857
A Sys works, but it's a little inelegant. Also you then have a second volume pot in there, which may or may not be a good thing. I used to use a Sys to reduce the volume coming into my amp, so I had more volume control on the amp.
I haven't even had my Asgard2 for 24 hours and as much as I like it, had I been able to buy the A3 with a extra set of analog inputs I would have gone that way. In fact, if Jason released it Friday I may order the A3 with 2 RCA inputs.

And I've already decided that the combination of my Sys and available cables is not doing it for me. Granted I have 3 different cables, but both my TT and my DAC sound better directly into my Asgard.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2020 at 2:29 PM Post #1,332 of 2,857
I haven't even had my Asgard2 for 24 hours and as much as I like it, had I been able to buy the A3 with a extra set of analog inputs I would have gone that way. In fact, if Jason released it Friday I may order the A3 with 2 RCA inputs.

And I've already decided that the combination of my Sys and available cables is not doing it for me. Granted I have 3 different cables, but both my TT and my DAC sound better directly into my Asgard.
+1 if a simple analog card came out I would order it immediately. As stated, I already have a phono pre that I like otherwise I would go that direction.

Aug 26, 2020 at 5:16 AM Post #1,334 of 2,857
How about using a switch. one rca to two rca? do you think it is going to degrade the sound quality?
It's just a hassle, and more clutter.

Aug 26, 2020 at 7:15 AM Post #1,335 of 2,857
It's just a hassle, and more clutter.

There's a tension here between the desire for the best sound, which tends to dictate having separate boxes for every part of the audio chain, and the reality that many of us need to limit the number of boxes. The shift to digital audio has prompted a shift of sound systems to our desks, whereas once we were ok with having our hi-fi systems somewhere else in the room, perhaps even in its own cabinet. Once we were comfortable with having to get up from the desk to change the record or even a CD. Now, no, and the fact of the matter is that I do most of my listening at my desk while I work, in an office that lacks the space. I don't even have a bookshelf to spare. And I bet I'm not alone. Anyway, I'm surprised there are so few all-in-ones offered...but then, of course, we run into the mandate to have separate components for each step in the chain...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back