Schiit Asgard 3 - Impressions Thread
Jan 24, 2020 at 5:13 PM Post #931 of 2,857
I have noticed a humming noise coming out from my asgard 3 with MB card.

I do not notice it directly after turning it on but more before I turn it off after a listening session (when it is warm).

I have tried to disconnect all cables exept the power cable to rule out other factors. The humming is there when nothing is connected.

Is this normal?

The noise is coming from the unit itself. I hear nothing out of the headphones.

Transformers can sometimes hum audibly. It shouldn’t affect performance but can of course be annoying if it’s loud enough. I’d say contact Schiit support about it.

Jan 24, 2020 at 5:19 PM Post #932 of 2,857

I do not notice it directly after turning it on but more before I turn it off after a listening session (when it is warm).

I have tried to disconnect all cables exept the power cable to rule out other factors. The humming is there when nothing is connected.

Is this normal?

You should try the stock cable in the exact same setup.

Then try a different circuit

If the transformer isnt bad/loud it's likely a ground loop hum.

I have to be very careful about putting too many pieces of audio gear on the same outlet, or even power strip.

Often moving the affected piece of equipment to a different power strip/surge protector on the same outlet will solve the problem.

Your shielded cable likely won't protect from ground hum. that is inside the electrical circuit.

I believe shielded cables refer to interference from other electronics. WiFi, cordless phones, em fields given off by other electronics, etc. Someone correct me if I am wrong on that last part.

The more testing you do before you contact Schiit the faster the warranty/repair process will go.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2020 at 6:39 PM Post #934 of 2,857

Is this normal?

Mechanical hum in a transformer might be caused by DC offset in the power line. A power filter might help, such as: https://emotiva.com/products/cmx-2

Jan 25, 2020 at 1:19 PM Post #935 of 2,857
Ok, I have now tested it in another room with different power cords. It was a little better but I can still hear it close to the unit. You who say that you hear nothing, have you put your head very close to the unit? Is it really dead quiet? Some noise could be normal or?

Jan 26, 2020 at 3:24 PM Post #937 of 2,857
Ok, I have now tested it in another room with different power cords. It was a little better but I can still hear it close to the unit. You who say that you hear nothing, have you put your head very close to the unit? Is it really dead quiet? Some noise could be normal or?

Silent in a quiet room. As was already mentioned, you could have DC on your AC line (PS Audio Humbuster and other devices for that purpose will remove it) or your unit could have a defective transformer that hums. This type external hum is not the same as a ground loop.

Jan 28, 2020 at 4:49 AM Post #938 of 2,857
Jan 28, 2020 at 5:23 AM Post #940 of 2,857
Are there any general directions on how to do this?

My advice is this: If taking the screws off the back and top, puling off the knob, and unscrewing the DAC board and lifting it out of its socket is too scary for you, then don't bother. :)

Jan 28, 2020 at 10:14 AM Post #941 of 2,857
Are there any general directions on how to do this?

My advice is this: If taking the screws off the back and top, puling off the knob, and unscrewing the DAC board and lifting it out of its socket is too scary for you, then don't bother. :)

I was going to say, if you need instructions then you probably shouldn't be doing it

Jan 28, 2020 at 12:36 PM Post #942 of 2,857
I was going to say, if you need instructions then you probably shouldn't be doing it

I’d say if you are comfortable messing with Arduino/Pi boards/shields/hats and stuff like that it should be no problem.
If you haven’t handled bare electronic boards before, then don’t - or at least ask an electronics-savvy friend.

And, a word of caution; warranty will not cover damages caused by a screwdriver puncturing a capacitor, a dac ic zapped with electrostatic discharges, snapped pins, ripped components, etc.. (you get the idea :wink:)

Feb 3, 2020 at 4:04 PM Post #943 of 2,857
Okay here's a little bit of a perhaps silly question, but can the Asgard with a 4490 module be considered a "straight upgrade" from a Schiit Stack? I like the idea of a convenient desktop solution, which is why until now I've held on to my Fulla 2. I've considered getting the stack for some time now, but I dislike having to use two separate devices. Put two and two together and the next logical step (price-wise) is the DAC-equipped Asgard.

Are there any experiences on this?

Feb 3, 2020 at 6:30 PM Post #945 of 2,857
I'd honestly get what appeals to you most. The Asgard 3 is a better amp, though at regular listening levels with most headphones you probably wont notice a significant difference over a Magni 3+.

I wouldn't pay attention to the drama over measurements. It's not uncommon for someone to attempt to gain respect by trashing a manufacturer. It's just a type of politics. "X is bad. Look! This person/company is doing X! They are bad! Look how I'm saving you from their evil!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back