Schiit Asgard 3 - Impressions Thread
Nov 23, 2019 at 6:30 PM Post #796 of 2,857
I just turned off the DAC--Sound very minimal. Unplugged the DAC from PC----Sound Gone---- Connected the Asgard without and DAC----Sound Gone. It seems like even if DAC is turned off the Sound is coming from the USB. AS soon as I unplug the USB cab e DAC turned on/off sound goes away. Asgard 3 is not at fault it seems and its the USB. I will try with another cable and see how this goes. Anyways next month was a new DAC and not this Aune garbage.:)
Remember the Asgard has a "mute" system when there is no sounds. You can hear a "click" coming from inside the Asgard when you connect or disconnect the audio source (the click sound comes from the Asgard itself, not through headphones).

Nov 23, 2019 at 6:39 PM Post #797 of 2,857
Remember the Asgard has a "mute" system when there is no sounds. You can hear a "click" coming from inside the Asgard when you connect or disconnect the audio source (the click sound comes from the Asgard itself, not through headphones).
Problem SOlved. Luckily Aune has Optical in but limited to 24Bit 192 which is still ok. USB has 32bit 768K. I connected via Optical and 0 noise. so def the Sound was from USB. After connecting via optical its dead silent with no noise whatsoever. Hope this does not degrade sound quality via toslink but it should not. More testing :)

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2019 at 8:20 PM Post #798 of 2,857
Problem SOlved. Luckily Aune has Optical in but limited to 25Bit 192 which is still ok. USB has 32bit 768K. I connected via Optical and 0 noise. so def the Sound was from USB. After connecting via optical its dead silent with no noise whatsoever. Hope this does not degrade sound quality via toslink but it should not. More testing :)
Nice to see you found an alternative solution :)

Nov 23, 2019 at 11:04 PM Post #799 of 2,857
Thanks. Also after 3 to 4 hours of listening the Asgard 3 is sounding like so opened up. Its a crazy amp to be honest. It smashes the Beyer dynamic DT770 80 Ohm. Apart from that Quality Control on the broken switch I am pretty happy with the amp.

Nov 25, 2019 at 7:07 AM Post #800 of 2,857
Thanks. Also after 3 to 4 hours of listening the Asgard 3 is sounding like so opened up. Its a crazy amp to be honest. It smashes the Beyer dynamic DT770 80 Ohm. Apart from that Quality Control on the broken switch I am pretty happy with the amp.
You got resolution with that issue, no?

Nov 25, 2019 at 7:57 AM Post #801 of 2,857
You got resolution with that issue, no?
Yeah. Tidal does not like it too and keeps complaining 16 bit 441k if switched to optical even though thats what its set for under Sound. I switched back to USB and using 1 power extension for both PC and Aune dac Power brick. the Hum is gone with a very faded static sometimes. i believe this more of a ground Loop issue rather than anything else. But yeah started saving for a new DAC already :)

Nov 30, 2019 at 11:46 AM Post #802 of 2,857
I'm happy to report that the iFi Defender 3.0 successfully eliminated the humming/buzzing I was hearing with the Asgard 3 :)

What the dongle does is it completely cuts out the power stream from the USB cable, so that only the audio signal actually passes through the cable and reaches the DAC. Even though the DAC module itself is not USB powered, it was apparently picking up on interference from the PC's grounding.

Dec 4, 2019 at 1:03 AM Post #804 of 2,857
I am wondering when Asgard 3 offers DAC module, what would be the difference between Asgard 3 vs Jotunheim? Of course XLR headphone out is one, and what else? Which would you prefer?

There's a comparison between the two on page one of this thread, in terms of listening impressions.

If you want balanced, Jotunheim is pretty much the only option—and from its balanced out, it offers more power than the Asgard 3.

If you're using single-ended, then Asgard 3 offers more power once out of its Class A bias and into Class AB (Jotunheim is also Class AB as far as I'm aware.) So if going SE, Asgard 3 would be my pick.

Dec 4, 2019 at 1:30 AM Post #805 of 2,857
There's a comparison between the two on page one of this thread, in terms of listening impressions.

If you want balanced, Jotunheim is pretty much the only option—and from its balanced out, it offers more power than the Asgard 3.

If you're using single-ended, then Asgard 3 offers more power once out of its Class A bias and into Class AB (Jotunheim is also Class AB as far as I'm aware.) So if going SE, Asgard 3 would be my pick.

Thanks for your prompt reply. I have HD600 so I am considering either product.

Dec 4, 2019 at 2:15 AM Post #806 of 2,857
I wish I could be of more help, but I haven’t heard the Jotunheim myself so I cannot really comment on its sound signature.

Asgard 3 is pretty great, especially if you like the sound signature of Class A. I’m planning to get a Jotunheim next year because I want a balanced chain, but that’s really where it’s at.

Dec 4, 2019 at 3:26 AM Post #807 of 2,857
Happy new Asgard 3 owner here. One question though when hooking up to my Chord Qutest and using as a preamp. I notice that I have little movement on the volume pot. Just midway between 6pm and 9pm if the dial was a clockface, becomes too loud quickly.

Have tried setting the Qutest line level to 1v and 2v and no difference.

Still sounds pretty amazing!

But wondered why I have too much gain?

Dec 4, 2019 at 3:54 AM Post #808 of 2,857
I’m using the Asgard as an amp for my cans and the first 3/4 of the knob provide a very granular volume control, whereas the final 1/4 gets very loud, very quickly. My pet theory is that the first 3/4 control the amp’s Class A bias and the final 1/4 provides the remaining 3W as the amp switches to Class AB. Perhaps @Jason Stoddard could confirm?

Dec 4, 2019 at 5:26 AM Post #810 of 2,857
Happy new Asgard 3 owner here. One question though when hooking up to my Chord Qutest and using as a preamp. I notice that I have little movement on the volume pot. Just midway between 6pm and 9pm if the dial was a clockface, becomes too loud quickly.

Have tried setting the Qutest line level to 1v and 2v and no difference.

Still sounds pretty amazing!

But wondered why I have too much gain?
1V 2V should give a big difference in volume though

Users who are viewing this thread

Back