Schiit Asgard 3 - Impressions Thread
Nov 15, 2019 at 5:00 PM Post #766 of 2,857
While I can hear differences between my DACs, amps, tubes, and headphones, I haven’t tried to hear differences between cables, and I think I would find it difficult to do so. But I acknowledge that some people can hear differences, and perhaps, in some cases, even with ease.

If one can hear a difference, should it be measurable? Yes it should.
Our ears, in a way, are also instruments measuring the sound and gives the measurement to the brain for interpretation. If the ears can measure it, must be possible to measure by other means.

So, if it’s measurable, can we measure it? Now this is the tough one. We should be able to, but only if we are measuring the right thing, and with enough resolution. The problem is that we could be looking at the wrong thing, or not measure it accurately enough, or maybe the tech to measure it just isn’t available yet.

What I’m trying to say is that I think it’s a bit more complicated than just throwing a frequency plot or some other measurement in someone’s face saying “I can’t see it, so you can’t hear it”.

Nov 17, 2019 at 9:15 AM Post #767 of 2,857
I picked up the A3 with the MB DAC and I'll admit that it's my first step into this level of audio gear (exciting). I read in the manual that you can just keep it running and don't need to switch it off. Is this recommended or just a perk? I'm pairing it with my Sennheiser 58X Jubilees, Philips Fidelio X2, and my B&W P7. Is there anything I should be doing to maximize the sound quality, i.e. burn in with certain noise? Lastly for those running a USB connection to a computer is the general rule of thumb the shorter the cable the better?
Congratulations on the new gear, @HifiRED ! My gut tells me that other than "using" more electrical power (kW-h), no issues on the electronics. There are some users who swear the solid-state electronics sound better after being on for hours at a time. Me? I can't tell the difference. I have 2 tube headphone amplifiers that I turn off after 1-2h of inactivity (I want my vacuum tubes to last a long time before seeking out replacements).

I notice Schiit gear's very forgiving with USB cables and length. I have Schiit's USB-to-SPIDIF converter/reclocker (EITR). Honestly, I can't detect a difference in sound quality. I run an ~1.5-2 metre USB cable from my Chromebook to my listening nook w/o any degraditation issues. For me? The only time I had gross pops, pings, and dropouts was before I upgraded my source (my Lenovo T400 was an ugly-ad-hoc streamer). Acer Chromebook 13? Happy, happy. :)

Nov 18, 2019 at 12:56 AM Post #768 of 2,857
I've read this many times about low vs high gain for different schiit products. I feel the same about Vali 2.
I guess the lower feedback has something to do with that. Maybe this is why a lot of people praises no overall feedback designs.

I must be the exception to the rule. I like the low gain setting with my phones, all of which are moderate impedance.

Nov 18, 2019 at 1:02 AM Post #769 of 2,857
I have a question: I would like to buy a proper setup for my girlfriend for her office. I just have ordered the Asgard 3 MB. The headphone requirement is closed or semi-closed. So I bought the Beyer DT770 Pro, but we are thinking about getting he DT880 for comparison and sending back the one we like less. My question: would you recommend the 250 or the 600 Ohm version of the 880 together with the Asgard 3 MB?

The music will be rather classical-jazz with occasional diversions into other genres.

Our preferences: we own Gumby, Yggy, and Modi delta-sigma, and have owned Lyr2 and Modi 2 uber + Magni 2. I have heard Vali 2 + Modi MB, Mjolnir 2, and Jotunheim + Bifrost MB.
The combinations that we remember most favorably were Gumby + Mjolnir 2, and Vali + Modi MB. Obviously these combos sound very differently, but both sounded natural with smooth treble. I did not like the Lyr 2, which had some strange treble, somehow disconnected from the rest and with some glare. The Jotunheim seemed very impressive, but again had a touch of harshness. The go to headphones for these comparisons were Sennheisers. We both like the HD 600, but we felt we would like to try some Beyers for a change.

Some recommendations would be appreciated, thank you!

The Lyr 3 is a very different animal from the Lyr 2. I wouldn’t exclude it out of hand. Re impedance: I don’t know if it matters that much with the A3- you should have all the power necessary for whatever. That said, if you think you might want to get an OTL amp in the future, impedance is your friend and I’d go 600 ohm.

Nov 18, 2019 at 6:24 AM Post #770 of 2,857
The Lyr 3 is a very different animal from the Lyr 2. I wouldn’t exclude it out of hand. Re impedance: I don’t know if it matters that much with the A3- you should have all the power necessary for whatever. That said, if you think you might want to get an OTL amp in the future, impedance is your friend and I’d go at least 300 ohm.

Thank you, your point with the OTL amp in the future is very good. We also have a Crack amp here, so it makes sense to buy a compatible version of the 880.

The DT880 600 ohm has arrived in the meantime, and it is indeed a very nice headphone. Much nicer for my taste than the 770. The A3 has not arrived yet. Right now I am running them with the Brocksieper Earmax and a basic Modi, a very nice setup.

I am curious about the Lyr 3, but this amp is a bit over budged right now.

Nov 19, 2019 at 5:55 PM Post #774 of 2,857
The Lyr 3 is a very different animal from the Lyr 2. I wouldn’t exclude it out of hand. Re impedance: I don’t know if it matters that much with the A3- you should have all the power necessary for whatever. That said, if you think you might want to get an OTL amp in the future, impedance is your friend and I’d go at least 300 ohm.
Pshh... 300 ohm. Go Beyerdynamic 600 ohm cans! :ksc75smile:
Lyr's an interesting creature. I'll be curious to see the long-term fate of the Lyr X.x, Johentheim, and Asgard x.

Nov 19, 2019 at 10:53 PM Post #775 of 2,857
Pshh... 300 ohm. Go Beyerdynamic 600 ohm cans! :ksc75smile:
Lyr's an interesting creature. I'll be curious to see the long-term fate of the Lyr X.x, Johentheim, and Asgard x.

My Lyr 3 and a decent pair of headphones can still thrill me, so it’s good enough for my purposes. Like a lot of people I’m always coveting higher end gear but honestly, the sound is amazing, especially for the price.

Nov 21, 2019 at 12:54 PM Post #777 of 2,857
Hi everyone, still combing through this tread. Looking to assemble a rig to buy in january for home use with the aeon flow 2 closed and hopefully a schiit product with their new unison dac card. Hard to choose through between all the models. Currently wavering between lyr 3 and asgard 3.
I would like to use the amps rca outputs with my powered speakers that have their own volume control. Is it correct that the outputs ARE controlled by the volume pot on the asgard 3 and that they are not controlled on the lyr 3?
Thanks in advance,
Greetings, Anouk,

Nov 21, 2019 at 1:24 PM Post #778 of 2,857
Hi everyone, still combing through this tread. Looking to assemble a rig to buy in january for home use with the aeon flow 2 closed and hopefully a schiit product with their new unison dac card. Hard to choose through between all the models. Currently wavering between lyr 3 and asgard 3.
I would like to use the amps rca outputs with my powered speakers that have their own volume control. Is it correct that the outputs ARE controlled by the volume pot on the asgard 3 and that they are not controlled on the lyr 3?
Thanks in advance,
Greetings, Anouk,

Every Schiit amp I've owned (Magni 2 Uber, Vali 2, Asgard 3) has controlled the preamp outs with the volume pot. I would be surprised if the Lyr 3 didn't. You could email Schiit and ask them

Nov 21, 2019 at 5:11 PM Post #780 of 2,857
Thanks for the clarification about the volume pot. Nice that the products are soc onfigurabnle. I could go the bifrost2 +amp only route and connect my powered speakers to the dac. I realize now.
Still the choice betweenthe asgard 3 lyr 3 or even the jotunheim is hard.
Any further advice would be appreciated.
Greetings, Anouk,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back