Schiit Asgard 3 - Impressions Thread
Sep 28, 2019 at 7:09 AM Post #467 of 2,863
I sort of never really got confirmation on this -- could anyone else confirm if this would indeed be possible?
(And yes, my turntable has a built-in phono-preamp.)

I believe I did respond to this days ago. If you are using a PC as your only digital input, then you are correct. The USB would connect to the DAC card in the A3, and the turntable (w/a built in preamp) would feed the analogue inputs of the A3. You could output to powered speakers via the analogue outputs, or you could listen to a headphone.

Sep 28, 2019 at 7:12 AM Post #468 of 2,863
A different question for folks. I have the A3. Really nice. I have it fed through my rogue sphinx from a variety of sources, including a Denafrips DAC.

My question is more pedestrian. My headphone cable on Focal Clears is a bit too short. Does anyone have decent recommendations for a headphone extension cable? I actually only need a couple of feet more, and did not want to replace the entire cable with a factory aftermarket that would cost almost as much as the headphones themselves :)

Sep 28, 2019 at 7:33 AM Post #469 of 2,863
I believe your Clear stock cable is the same as the one that came with my Focal Elegia. I replaced it with a custom-made cable from a local firm here in Hungary that cost me about $100 for 3m in length—and about half the cost were the connectors, as I was adamant in wanting rhodium. Cable itself is silver. Light, flexible, comfortably long—didn’t hear a difference sound-wise to be honest. If having a similarly custom cable is an option where you live, I’d recommend it.

Sep 28, 2019 at 8:09 AM Post #470 of 2,863
Thanks. The prices I’m seeing for “high quality” replacement cables for the Clear are mad money here in the US. It would probably be significantly cheaper for me to order from Hungary and have them shipped :)

Sep 28, 2019 at 4:57 PM Post #472 of 2,863
Sep 29, 2019 at 5:06 AM Post #474 of 2,863
Going to be receiving my Asgard 3 tomorrow, so I'll be able to compare with my THX AAA 789 and ZDT Jr, so we'll see.

So I received my Asgard 3 on Friday and listened to it Friday night and a bit on Saturday. Just want to say the Asgard 3 is freaking legit, but I've been procrastinating writing up impressions because it's difficult to explain exactly how they are different. It's been difficult pin-pointing exactly what makes the Asgard 3 so special to me, but I'll try a little now. (Honestly too, I just didn't want to stop listening to music to write these impressions, because I was so drawn into the Asgard 3's sound).

EDIT: realized this was unclear, but these impressions are comparing the Asgard 3 to the THX as a point of reference.

Using a 2019 Gungnir MB with a Pheasantwood Verite Open (universe pads):

- The THX sounds faster, with sharper attacks and transients overall.
- The THX handles very complex music passages with greater clarity than the Asgard 3.
- The Asgard 3 just seems to miss that very last bit of air in the treble, but seems to have a smoother treble in general
- The Asgard 3 just renders timbre so well, and layers better than the THX; it kinda has that euphonic sound and soundstage a tube amp may have, but with the speed and low noise floor of a solid state.
- The imaging sounds more tight on the Asgard 3, which helps add to that feeling of "realism"
- Subjectively, the THX sounds fast and clean, but admittedly a bit flat in the soundstage with not-so-great layering.
- OTOH Asgard 3 sounds very textured and real, with great imaging, layering, and excellent timbre.
- Asgard 3 also sounds extremely dynamic, with what I think are better microdynamics in the mids than the THX's (just adds to that amazing timbre and texture it feels it has)

No doubt that the THX is something special. It's superbly fast, with sharper attacks and a very detailed and clean sound. But the asgard 3 seems like it captures my soul better; there's something irresistibly lovely about the wonderful layering, beautiful timbre, and dynamic sound it has that makes it sound very realistic to me. Again, tube-like sound, but with the speed and low noise floor of a solid state.

If the THX is a good value at $400 (I think it is), then the Asgard 3 to me is a freaking great deal at $200. I recommend it whole-heartedly, and am tempted to sell the THX (but not yet, who knows, this all may be "new toy syndrome" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Always looking to get better at writing about what I hear. Please give me feedback so I can improve, and feel free to ask me questions, I'd be happy to answer them.

P.S. Unrelated to the Asgard 3, but for some reason the Gungir MB seems to output a distorted treble when outputting only to SE (i.e. to the Asgard 3); this distortion disappears when I have the Gungir output to a balanced amp as well (i.e. the THX). So strange.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2019 at 12:05 PM Post #475 of 2,863
P.S. Unrelated to the Asgard 3, but for some reason the Gungir MB seems to output a distorted treble when outputting only to SE (i.e. to the Asgard 3); this distortion disappears when I have the Gungir output to a balanced amp as well (i.e. the THX). So strange.

I’ve heard that the Gungnir’s single ended outputs are inferior to its balanced ones, not sure why that is. I wonder if it would be better to use special cables so you could connect the balanced outs to your Asgard.

Sep 29, 2019 at 1:18 PM Post #476 of 2,863
So I received my Asgard 3 on Friday and listened to it Friday night and a bit on Saturday. Just want to say the Asgard 3 is freaking legit, but I've been procrastinating writing up impressions because it's difficult to explain exactly how they are different. It's been difficult pin-pointing exactly what makes the Asgard 3 so special to me, but I'll try a little now. (Honestly too, I just didn't want to stop listening to music to write these impressions, because I was so drawn into the Asgard 3's sound).

- The THX handles very complex music passages with greater clarity than the Asgard 3.
- The Asgard 3 just seems to miss that very last bit of air in the treble, but seems to have a smoother treble in general
- The Asgard 3 just renders timbre so well, and layers better than the THX; it kinda has that euphonic sound and soundstage a tube amp may have, but with the speed and low noise floor of a solid state.
- The imaging sounds more tight on the Asgard 3, which helps add to that feeling of "realism"
- Subjectively, the THX sounds fast and clean, but admittedly a bit flat in the soundstage with not-so-great layering.
- OTOH Asgard 3 sounds very textured and real, with great imaging, layering, and excellent timbre.
- Asgard 3 also sounds extremely dynamic, with what I think are better microdynamics in the mids than the THX's (just adds to that amazing timbre and texture it feels it has)

No doubt that the THX is something special. It's superbly fast, with sharper attacks and a very detailed and clean sound. But the asgard 3 seems like it captures my soul better; there's something irresistibly lovely about the wonderful layering, beautiful timbre, and dynamic sound it has that makes it sound very realistic to me. Again, tube-like sound, but with the speed and low noise floor of a solid state.

If the THX is a good value at $400 (I think it is), then the Asgard 3 to me is a freaking great deal at $200. I recommend it whole-heartedly, and am tempted to sell the THX (but not yet, who knows, this all may be "new toy syndrome" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Always looking to get better at writing about what I hear. Please give me feedback so I can improve, and feel free to ask me questions, I'd be happy to answer them.

Great review. That is the sound signature for which I was hoping. I've been looking for a work amp to pair with the Aeon Flow Closed. I imagine the Verite is similarly fast (faster?) than planars in transient responses and there may be good synergy with an amp with thicker mids and slower transients. The THX 789 and Gillmore lite MK2 are extremely fast in transients, but paired with Mr. Speakers planars (fast transients), the overall effect was fatiguing after a while. Also, I felt they lacked as much low-end energy.

Sep 29, 2019 at 1:27 PM Post #477 of 2,863

I went from a PC sound card (Xonar Essence STX) to the Asgard 3 with the AK/4490 dac. I though the Asgard was neutral and the sound card bright. Apparently the Asgard is warm and the sound card neutral if I take your observations into account.

Sep 29, 2019 at 3:58 PM Post #479 of 2,863
I just signed up for Tidal (hifi). Just PC into Multibit Asgard 3 into ZMF Classics or the JBL 3 Series provides debilitating High Fidelity. It's good to be a cheap date.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back