Schiit Asgard 3 - Impressions Thread
Sep 27, 2019 at 2:42 AM Post #451 of 2,863
Frankly I’ve seen reviews that prefer Liquid Spark and even the JDS Atom over the Magni 3 at the price point.

JDS Atom is a very good amp. I’d take it over a Magni too, but not over a Lyr3 and probably not the A3, assuming the continuity circuit is a big part of the reason the Lyr3 sounds so good. Haven’t heard the Liquid Spark so no opinion there.

By the way- Focal Clear sounds absolutely mind blowing on the Lyr 3. Be curious to hear how it pairs with the A3.

Sep 27, 2019 at 9:30 AM Post #453 of 2,863
Going to be receiving my Asgard 3 tomorrow, so I'll be able to compare with my THX AAA 789 and ZDT Jr, so we'll see.

Hi @pure5152 , let me know which one you prefer, i have the Woo wa2 and THX 789, thinking about order the Bifrost 2, but im also very curious about asgard 3.

Sep 27, 2019 at 5:54 PM Post #454 of 2,863
Just got conformation that my Asgard 3 will be shipped on monday.. Very exciting times.

Really curious how it will perform as replacement for my Vali 2..

So it will be PC(FLAC) > Modi Multibit > Asgard 3 > HD660S.

Will report my findings here..

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2019 at 7:24 PM Post #455 of 2,863
Just got conformation that my Asgard 3 will be shipped on monday.. Very exciting times.

Really curious how it will perform as replacement for my Vali 2..

So it will be PC(FLAC) > Modi Multibit > Asgard 3 > HD660S.

Will report my findings here..
Nice, I'll be waiting for your feedback, because my Asgard 3 is shipping to Chile and it will take maybe 4 or 5 weeks.. and I'll be running almost the same setup as you:

PC(Tidal) > Asgard 3 + Multibit card > HD660S

So I'm curious :3

Sep 27, 2019 at 8:42 PM Post #456 of 2,863
I'm thinking of getting a A3 for a change over my Topping A30/D30 combo. Can I only use the A3 to drive my DT 880 Pro and ATH-M50x? Are the extra addon necessary for the A3?

Sep 27, 2019 at 10:41 PM Post #457 of 2,863
‘If you and other experts consistently advised something like 660s with no dac/amp over say 6xx + dac/amp, cost being similar) I’d go for the 660s. most everything I’ve seen advises dac/amp even with the relatively more efficient 660s. Right? That (~$800) becomes more $ than I’m budgeting (~$500)
HD 6XX + Asgard 3 + whatever DAC you can comfortably afford = :L3000:

And then just upgrade as your budget allows. :wink:

Sep 27, 2019 at 11:22 PM Post #458 of 2,863
I read an offhand comment referring to ASIO2WASAPI(by Jason). I installed it in Foobar and have been listening half the day with some ABing. Seems to clean up the timing in complicated passages. Unsure if that is the correct way to state it. I does not seem to get overwhelmed anymore. This is in comparison to WASAPI event.

Sep 28, 2019 at 12:37 AM Post #460 of 2,863
I was planning on buying the Modi & Magni & SYS Schiit 3-stack in order to run audio from both my turntable & PC, and allowing me to use both headphones and a set of powered monitors.
(I.e. Turntable and Modi DAC would input into SYS, which goes into Magni AMP, allowing switching between the two sources. Then, powered monitors connected to the Magni via the pre-amp outputs, and of course, my headphones [either Sennheiser HD 700 or 660S, haven't yet decided] into the Magni as well.)

However, upon inspecting the beauty that is the Asgard 3, would I be right to conclude that the Asgard 3 w/ DAC card could replace that entire 3-stack, and still serve my purposes? I.e. Modi goes into DAC USB slot, turntable goes into regular RCA input, powered monitors to pre-amp'd out, and the source can be switched b/w DAC & turntable via the switch on the front? (And of course, with headphones plugged in, the powered monitor output mutes.)

I sort of never really got confirmation on this -- could anyone else confirm if this would indeed be possible?
(And yes, my turntable has a built-in phono-preamp.)

Sep 28, 2019 at 12:57 AM Post #461 of 2,863
I sort of never really got confirmation on this -- could anyone else confirm if this would indeed be possible?
(And yes, my turntable has a built-in phono-preamp.)
However, upon inspecting the beauty that is the Asgard 3, would I be right to conclude that the Asgard 3 w/ DAC card could replace that entire 3-stack, and still serve my purposes? I.e. Modi goes into DAC USB slot, turntable goes into regular RCA input, powered monitors to pre-amp'd out, and the source can be switched b/w DAC & turntable via the switch on the front? (And of course, with headphones plugged in, the powered monitor output mutes.)
Technically, this would work.
But in my experience, it's a real PITA to have to unplug your headphones every single time you want to listen to your monitors and then have to plug them back in again when you want to use your headphones.

Sep 28, 2019 at 1:26 AM Post #463 of 2,863
The only downside to the Asgard 3 as a one box solution is volume management when unplugging the headphones. I am running about 12 o clock or more on the volume knob for my Beyer DT 880s and about 2 for my 305MKll studio monitors and LSR 310S.I have not forgotten yet but it will be 320 watts of loud if I do.

Sep 28, 2019 at 2:44 AM Post #465 of 2,863
The modules are optional, but if you don't get one, you'll want to use your D30 or some other DAC with the Asgard.

If I get the A3 optional DAC addon, there is no need for another external DAC. Btw, what is a multibit addon for the A3?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back