Schiit Asgard 3 - Impressions Thread
Nov 5, 2019 at 11:51 PM Post #691 of 2,857
Same with my Lyr3. When I got it I switched the gain back and forth a few times and it was clear that it sounded better to me on high gain regardless of volume, so that's where it stays.

I have to agree... with the headphones I have tried so far (T50RP nodded, Meze 99 Neo, NAD HP 50, and Nightowl) high gain sounds more immediate with better detail and control of the bass.

Overall I am enjoying my A3 more than the A1... the A3 seems to wake everything up.

On a side note, my Customer Service students were asking what a "user group" is and why its important. I used this thread as an example saying "a user group is for the people who love and identify with your products and services... the users are often your best salespeople".

This thread and my existing Schiit sold me a black A3 and I could not be happier (except for the exchange rate and GST)

Nov 6, 2019 at 11:20 AM Post #692 of 2,857
Anyone that can recommend a pair of closed back headphones that pair well with the Asgard 3 with Multibit card?

Budget around $250. Will only be used for listening to music.

Nov 6, 2019 at 12:12 PM Post #693 of 2,857
Anyone that can recommend a pair of closed back headphones that pair well with the Asgard 3 with Multibit card?

The most pleasing closed back headphones I ever had at not so expensive price, was the Momentum 2 (or HD1) headphones, not the wireless one, those have too much bass for the noise cancelation system.

Also I liked the M50X but the Momentums are more balanced and have better separation, and they don't sound too "closed back".

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2019 at 1:52 PM Post #694 of 2,857

I have not heard the Asgard 3, but my favourite fun, closed back are the Meze 99 Classic's. Beautiful looking, sound great, very comfortable and take no power to drive. Sounds great out of my full system or my LG V30.
I "think" the Meze Neo's on Drop are pretty close but have plastic backs and are only $200.00.
They do have a bit of extra bass, which I like. My tastes are rock, some pop, blues and horn jazz.

Shane D

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2019 at 4:25 PM Post #695 of 2,857
@KukoCL

Thanks, I will read up on them.

@Shane D
Big thumbs up, those cans seem spot on. Fun headphones I like.:) I would have to get the original through (EU).

Nov 6, 2019 at 4:39 PM Post #696 of 2,857
@KukoCL

Thanks, I will read up on them.

@Shane D
Big thumbs up, those cans seem spot on. Fun headphones I like.:) I would have to get the original through (EU).

The list price for the Classics is $309 in the US. I paid $399.00, plus 15% tax in Canada. Worth every penny. These and my Grado GH2's are the only headphones that I will never sell.

It's weird that MassDrop has not done a Eurodrop on the Noir's yet.

I just remembered! Meze are Europen headphones. NO need to bother with North America at all.

https://mezeaudio.com/

Shane D

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2019 at 8:03 PM Post #698 of 2,857
I have never heard the Asgard 3
I have not heard the Asgard 3, but my favourite fun, closed back are the Meze 99 Classic's. Beautiful looking, sound great, very comfortable and take no power to drive. Sounds great out of my full system or my LG V30.
I "think" the Meze Neo's on Drop are pretty close but have plastic backs and are only $200.00.
They do have a bit of extra bass, which I like. My tastes are rock, some pop, blues and horn jazz.

Shane D
Using the Meze 99 Noir with my Asgard 2. Awesome closed back for around $200.

Nov 6, 2019 at 8:09 PM Post #699 of 2,857
Using the Meze 99 Noir with my Asgard 2. Awesome closed back for around $200.

Do the Noir have wood or plastic cups?
Just curious.

Thanks.

Shane D

Nov 6, 2019 at 8:20 PM Post #700 of 2,857
Do the Noir have wood or plastic cups?
Just curious.

Thanks.

Shane D

https://drop.com/buy/massdrop-x-meze-99-noir-closed-back-headphones#overview

CONSTRUCTION & ACCESSORIES
Built for the long haul, the 99 Noir—like the 99 Classics—uses no glue and very little plastic: just lots of walnut wood, metal, and screws. The CNC-carved walnut ear cups are fitted with memory foam ear pads wrapped in soft PU leather. And the “99” in the headphone’s name? It’s a reference to the cups’ size: 99 millimeters tall. The stamped manganese spring steel headband is self-adjusting for even pressure distribution and easy on and off. While the two cables in the original kit measured 10 feet and 4 feet, we opted for a detachable 6-foot cable: deemed by the community to be not too long, not too short, but just right. It’s still equipped with a microphone and remote for taking calls and controlling tracks. You’ll also get a plug adapter and a woven nylon carrying case.

Nov 6, 2019 at 8:30 PM Post #701 of 2,857
https://drop.com/buy/massdrop-x-meze-99-noir-closed-back-headphones#overview

CONSTRUCTION & ACCESSORIES
Built for the long haul, the 99 Noir—like the 99 Classics—uses no glue and very little plastic: just lots of walnut wood, metal, and screws. The CNC-carved walnut ear cups are fitted with memory foam ear pads wrapped in soft PU leather. And the “99” in the headphone’s name? It’s a reference to the cups’ size: 99 millimeters tall. The stamped manganese spring steel headband is self-adjusting for even pressure distribution and easy on and off. While the two cables in the original kit measured 10 feet and 4 feet, we opted for a detachable 6-foot cable: deemed by the community to be not too long, not too short, but just right. It’s still equipped with a microphone and remote for taking calls and controlling tracks. You’ll also get a plug adapter and a woven nylon carrying case.

Thanks for the clarification. I guess I was confusing it with the Neo.

Shane D

Nov 6, 2019 at 8:50 PM Post #703 of 2,857
Sure...seems like a solid value based on reviews; like the color scheme as well.

It certainly does. I prefer my Walnut/Gold, but that is a nice price.
If I was buying now...

Shane D

Nov 10, 2019 at 3:30 AM Post #704 of 2,857
I have a question: I would like to buy a proper setup for my girlfriend for her office. I just have ordered the Asgard 3 MB. The headphone requirement is closed or semi-closed. So I bought the Beyer DT770 Pro, but we are thinking about getting he DT880 for comparison and sending back the one we like less. My question: would you recommend the 250 or the 600 Ohm version of the 880 together with the Asgard 3 MB?

The music will be rather classical-jazz with occasional diversions into other genres.

Our preferences: we own Gumby, Yggy, and Modi delta-sigma, and have owned Lyr2 and Modi 2 uber + Magni 2. I have heard Vali 2 + Modi MB, Mjolnir 2, and Jotunheim + Bifrost MB.
The combinations that we remember most favorably were Gumby + Mjolnir 2, and Vali + Modi MB. Obviously these combos sound very differently, but both sounded natural with smooth treble. I did not like the Lyr 2, which had some strange treble, somehow disconnected from the rest and with some glare. The Jotunheim seemed very impressive, but again had a touch of harshness. The go to headphones for these comparisons were Sennheisers. We both like the HD 600, but we felt we would like to try some Beyers for a change.

Some recommendations would be appreciated, thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back