Schiit $99 amp + HD600?
Mar 14, 2013 at 8:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

OmarSy

Head-Fier
Does anyone know how this pair would function?
these schiit amps/dacs seem very interesting and most peoples experience with schiit seem to be quite good.
What do you guys think?

Mar 14, 2013 at 2:16 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:
Does anyone know how this pair would function?

Yes, the schiit amp will amplify the signal that is fed to it and deliver the amplified signal to your Sennheiser HD600s.

If the music that you are listening to is good, it will sound good.  If the music that you are listening sounds bad, it will still sound bad.  It is not magic

The schiit amps amplify the music.

Mar 14, 2013 at 3:15 PM Post #5 of 12
I personally have both the HD600's with the Schiit Magni amp......they sound wonderful together.  Just ensure you are also using a nice source (like the modi DAC that pairs with the Magni amp).  

--Dustin

Mar 14, 2013 at 3:41 PM Post #6 of 12
That combo works really well together!

Mar 14, 2013 at 7:38 PM Post #7 of 12
I too use this combo along witht the modi. It will most certainly work, though it's worth mentioning to get the best out of the hd600s you will eventually need to upgrade the magni

Mar 19, 2013 at 8:22 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:
Nonsense!

I enjoy my hd600's with my magni alot, though it is an entry level amp. And although I can't speak from first hand expierence I think it's fair to say there are far superior amps out there at higher price ranges. I would imagine these amps would push the hd600s to their limit, if that's what your looking for.

Mar 20, 2013 at 5:05 PM Post #10 of 12
Well, since everyone else seems to be chiming in here, I'll go ahead and interject, too.  I've had the Magni and Modi combination along with my HD-600s and HE-400s (at the time).  The Modi, at times, would seem a bit hot at the upper end.  To some degree, I desired a more neutral to warm presentation. 

I then tested a series of non-expensive DACs that should be within reach for most enthusiasts here.  I tried the following DACs.

1. Fiio D03K - Based on the Wolfson chipset.
  2. Muse Mini USB DAC - Based on the Burr-Brown chipset
  3. Fiio E7, Docked in the E9 amp.  Based on the same Wolfson chip set as the D03K.

The Fiio D03K had even more sizzle than the Modi DAC.  Wolfson has a great reputation, but I think that Fiio seemed to arrange their electronics in a way around that DAC chip, which really brought out the detail, and possibly a bit too strong.  The same was experienced when I tried the Fiio E7 DAC / Amp while docked in the E9 amp.  The same DAC chip, with the same upper end shrill.

However, the difference really came into the fold with the Muse Mini USB DAC.  It's limited to 16-bit (CD Quality) audio and can be picked up for about $32.00 on Amazon - ships from China in less than 2 weeks.  It's a small box, and can easily be hidden on the desktop out of the way since it really doesn't match up to the Schiit Magni asthetics.

Mar 20, 2013 at 5:43 PM Post #11 of 12
Recently placed an order for the M&M stack. Am currently running Mac -> Fiio E7 -> HD600s. Hoping that I'll notice a difference, as I do feel like the E7 has enough power to drive the HD600s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back