Scared: ATH-AD900 or AKG K701 Unamped
Jul 20, 2006 at 3:31 PM Post #16 of 31
I got my AD2000 for MUCH less than $679. Although there is no return policy when you get them from Japan, you will make your money back easily, should you decide to sell them.

The AD2000 sound great unamped as long as you have a decent source (*). I find them very revealing. Some of my 128bit mp3's that sound good with Shure e4, are horrible with AD2k even through a digital connection (PC Coax -> Zhaolu Coax -> AD2000 or H120 optical -> Zhaolu -> AD2000)

They are easily influenced with EQ. When I up the bass by +9db on my H120, the low end has quite a presence.

If you can afford them, go for it. Unless you hate the AT sound, you will not be disappointed.

(*) Edit: A decent source is needed whether amped or unamped.

Jul 20, 2006 at 3:56 PM Post #17 of 31
Thanks Habakkuk. The Japanese route might be considered, particularly given the ability to re-sell them if they don't work out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habakkuk
(*) Edit: A decent source is needed whether amped or unamped.

Regarding quality of source, would you consider a Rotel Stereo Receiver's Headphone jack and/or the X-Fi Extreme Music's headphone jack sufficient?

Also, if there is anyone out there that has a completely contrarian view (e.g., AD2000 sucks, just get the AD900 and be happy, or AKG K701 on X-Fi is great so save your $), please speak up!

Thanks again.

Jul 20, 2006 at 5:14 PM Post #18 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by schmoo
Regarding quality of source, would you consider a Rotel Stereo Receiver's Headphone jack and/or the X-Fi Extreme Music's headphone jack sufficient?

I think both of those should be fine. Once in a while I listen to my AD2000 through Harmon Kardon receiver headphone out and it is fine. I can't imagine Rotel being any worse. X-Fi should be able to drive a 40 Ohm headphone w/o a problem.

Jul 20, 2006 at 6:59 PM Post #19 of 31
Given the cost, I'm thinking I'll just go with the AD900 from the US, and see how it goes. If they're entirely lacking, I'll think about the AD2000.

Since everyone seems to agree that the K701 is no-go without good amp, I'm striking it off the list for now.

If anyone knows of a place to demo the AD2000 around Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, please let me know.

Jul 20, 2006 at 10:57 PM Post #20 of 31
Happened across a local retailer (new place that just opened) that has Beyers and ATH-AD700 in stock in addition to various Grados!

Revelation 1: ATH-AD*** don't fit my head, which is too small for them! The cups end up sliding down until they are hanging on the upper part of my ear. Luckily didn't order AD2000 from Japan. Geez.
blink.gif

Revelation 2: Like the Grado sound, but think it a little artifical. Can't stand that "resting on the ears" fit -- uncomfy for me.

Revelation 3: DT 880 (250 ohm) sound great and fit wonderfully. Also built like tanks.

Now strongly considering the DT 880 (32 or 80 ohm) versions.

Also curious is Grados can be made into a circumaural phone with replacement pads???

Thanks!
rs1smile.gif

Edit: Started a fit-related thread, but keeping this one alive for on-going headphone choice discussion.

Jul 21, 2006 at 7:21 AM Post #21 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by schmoo
Revelation 1: ATH-AD*** don't fit my head, which is too small for them! The cups end up sliding down until they are hanging on the upper part of my ear. Luckily didn't order AD2000 from Japan. Geez.
blink.gif

Edit: Ending this thread to start one on fit -- afraid my head is too small!
smily_headphones1.gif

Ending this thread already?! But I just got here!

If you have a small head the AD2000 might actually be a better fit. Its headband, earcups and earpads are different from the AD700 or AD900. Clamping force is much higher and the earpads fit more snugly around the ears.

Jul 21, 2006 at 12:10 PM Post #22 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas
Ending this thread already?! But I just got here!

If you have a small head the AD2000 might actually be a better fit. Its headband, earcups and earpads are different from the AD700 or AD900. Clamping force is much higher and the earpads fit more snugly around the ears.

You are in time to save the day. I have never auditioned neither AD700 nor AD900 so I wouldn't know anything about the headbands in those models. However, I do not have a big head at all and the AD2000 fits it perfectly. Schmoo, the Dark Side wants you and there is no sense in fighting it
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 21, 2006 at 1:57 PM Post #24 of 31
I must say that I really liked the AT sound, but they just kept falling off my head.

Elephas, Glad to see you here given your vast experience. The fit problem was both a veritcal and horizontal issue. Veritcally, the gap between the part of my skull where the little pads rest and my ears is too small, relative to the distance on the phones. Hence, they feel like they are going to drop onto my shoulders. Horizontally, the upper edge of the cups barely touched the side of my head. The 2000 would need to be much, much smaller to fit me, I think.

Thanks for the C-Pad tip. I'll think about that. I liked the Grados, but did find them a little artificial sounding.

Most astounding for me was how relatively small the differences were between the Beyer, the Grados, and the AD700 in comparison to the expectations formed while reading on this board.

Thanks everyone and feel free to comment on the fit issues in greater detail on the new thread. Let's keep this one going on actual headphone choice issues.

N

Jul 21, 2006 at 4:21 PM Post #25 of 31
From what I understand, the Beyerdynamic DT880's and the Sennheiser HD580/600/650's all sound similar to the Audio Technica's. Maybe you should check those out?

Jun 11, 2009 at 5:03 AM Post #26 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyrix_2k /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From what I understand, the Beyerdynamic DT880's and the Sennheiser HD580/600/650's all sound similar to the Audio Technica's. Maybe you should check those out?

I don't know about closed, but I know my AD700s sound a hell of a lot more like my k702s than any Beyer or Senn I've ever heard.

Just out of curiousity, (not flaming promise!), why do you think this Cyrix?

Jun 11, 2009 at 5:07 AM Post #27 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by crossmd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know about closed, but I know my AD700s sound a hell of a lot more like my k702s than any Beyer or Senn I've ever heard.

Just out of curiousity, (not flaming promise!), why do you think this Cyrix?

I dunno if you'll get a personal answer from him, since this thread is three years old, and his last login date was last year.
wink.gif

Jun 11, 2009 at 5:24 PM Post #29 of 31
Though this thead is old, too bad AD900 is not compared amped. It is
OK to Amp the AD900 and it does sound good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back