Scared: ATH-AD900 or AKG K701 Unamped
Jul 19, 2006 at 5:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

schmoo

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

Pretty green here, but just ordered a pair of K701 from Headroom after hemming an hawing between the K701 (Headroom special price) and ATH-AD300 ($239USD).

I'm now worried that I've made the wrong choice as 90% of usage will be with my X-FI Extreme Music without an amp. The remaining 10% will be using the headphone jack on my Rotel receiver.

I'll be listening to flac files (Gordon Lightfoot, to Miles Davis, to Billie Holiday, to Public Enemy, to Dr. Dre, to Jamiroquai, to Rush, to the Tragically Hip) through foobar and playing games (mostly racing sims and some shooters).

I don't see an amp in my future, but anything is possible. So I guess I'm hoping that:

K701 unamped >= AD900 unamped,

which leaves open the option of getting an amp in future and getting even more from the K701s.

Does this make sense
280smile.gif
, or have I made the wrong call
plainface.gif
?

Thanks in advance!

Jul 19, 2006 at 6:01 PM Post #3 of 31
K701 needs a good amp to shine.
I´ve tried it on my Iaudio M3 but it was not anywhere
near my main rig.

Jul 19, 2006 at 6:03 PM Post #4 of 31
Jul 19, 2006 at 6:07 PM Post #5 of 31
Thank heavens for the 30-day policy.

How about the validity of this statement? Am I fooling myself?

K701 unamped >= AD900 unamped

Context: I'm coming from the Ety ER6i I use with my ipod and shuffle and a Plantornics headset (Audio .60) that will be replaced by these headphones.

Is it safe to say:

K701 amped > K701 unamped >= AD900 unamped >>>>> Audio .60
blink.gif

Thanks again!

Jul 19, 2006 at 6:20 PM Post #6 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by schmoo
Thank heavens for the 30-day policy.

How about the validity of this statement? Am I fooling myself?

K701 unamped >= AD900 unamped

Context: I'm coming from the Ety ER6i I use with my ipod and shuffle and a Plantornics headset (Audio .60) that will be replaced by these headphones.

Is it safe to say:

K701 amped > K701 unamped >= AD900 unamped >>>>> Audio .60
blink.gif

Thanks again!

K701 amped > AD900 unamped > K701 unamped >>>>> (What is an Audio .60?)

Jul 19, 2006 at 6:22 PM Post #7 of 31
Just making certain you aren't confusing your cans-

The AD900 looks like this, and is an open can-
ATH-AD900_big.jpg

And the A900 looks like this, and is a closed can, and the one that's recommended here a ton-

a900.jpg

Jul 19, 2006 at 7:34 PM Post #8 of 31
having owned both, i wouldnt ever recommend using the 701 unamped. the 900 words pretty well sans amp though.

Jul 19, 2006 at 7:46 PM Post #9 of 31
While I've never heard the AD900s or the K701s, I have the A900s and they sound fine without an amp and great in games. Infact, with an amp, I notice much less of a difference then I notice with my other much cheaper headphones.

Jul 19, 2006 at 9:05 PM Post #11 of 31
and accept that I can't have the K701 for my application. I've emailed headroom and asked them to cancel.
frown.gif

Jahn,

I'm aware of the diff between the AD900 and A900 and while I've read the great reviews on the A900, I'm afraid that it will feel too warm for extended wear (had this problem before), and that I won't like the recessed mids. AD900 commentary, what little there is, points to more pronounced mids and a huge sondstage, which are both attractive to me.

Anyone have any experience with the AD900 that can help?

For what its worth, the A900 is $30 cheaper than the AD900.

Thanks for your help everyone!

Jul 19, 2006 at 11:58 PM Post #12 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Optional
K701 amped > AD900 unamped > K701 unamped >>>>> (What is an Audio .60?)

Plantronics Audio .60 Headset is a cheapie PC headset. Mentioned it as my current listening appartus as context for you all.

Any views on the AD900? How about the AD1000?

Jul 20, 2006 at 1:33 AM Post #13 of 31
I've owned both a K701 and AD900 in the past. The K701 is a dog to drive. The AD900 sounded great right out of the line out of my sound card.

To me, the K701 had more bass than the AD900,with the latter requiring some EQ'ing to get a bit more 'oomph' to the music. Mind you, my musical preferences are varied, but they lean towards the electronica side.

I found the AD900s to have great instrument seperation and the best (widest) soundstage of any headphones I've heard, even the K701. But the AKG's were out of headsave classic or Denon(drove it the best) receiver. Perhaps the 701s would have more synergy/magic/wider soundstage with another amp/dac/combo.

The AT's are quite light too, would be great for long listening sessions, which is why I picked them up initially. I ended up picking up a A900LTD due to my need for a bit more boomy bass since I game as well. I would describe the bass of the AD900 as fairly neutral and accurate.

Another thing to note if you do end up getting the AD series, is that the pads are a bit different than the closed series. They are indeed a comfy velour, but the taper inwards, so the driver kind of rests on your ear. I did gerG's phatpad mod (raises the clearance from your ear so also takes care of the slight high end) and it works wonders.

Edit: Noticed you mentioned you game a bit, and noted a few of your musical preferences; if you absolutely must have an open can, check out the Sennheiser HD590 as well. Open, great bass, super light weight, and super comfy. Not sure of the amp requirement, opinions on it vary; I ran it out of a TBAAM and found it drove it sufficiently well. It is a bit on the bright side (works good for gaming), which is a bit of a departure from the Sennheiser house sound, and one of the reasons why you probably won't find too many fans of it on here. I owned them before I acquired the AD900, but I ended up keeping the latter. The AD900 just sounded more refined albeit not as bassy.

Jul 20, 2006 at 1:36 PM Post #14 of 31
Thanks brn80! Very helpful comments.

Sounds like the AD900 should be a good match and starting point as my frist set of quality headphones.

These are what I've been using for the last 3 years!
specs & photo

I've also read some great somethings about the AD2000, which seems to have more low-end than the rest of the AD series. AD1000, on the other hand, seems to get bad press.

Bearing in mind the insane price gaps ($239 < $329 < $679) at Musician's friend (return policy is great), it would be a stretch to a 2000, but if it is head and shoulders over the 900 and can be that way without AMP, it might be worth considering.

Any views on the value equation of going to the AD1000 or the AD2000, particularly without amps?

This is proving very helpful everyone. Much appreciated!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back