Scamming bastards
Mar 3, 2004 at 9:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

fiddler

Headphoneus Supremus
http://www.millersmiles.co.uk/identi...-ebay-scam.php

EDIT: The above is NOT the link to the actual scam, but to a "public advisory" page on the subject.

I received this email this morning. I was even dumb enough to click the link. Luckily it didn't work (maybe 'cause I'm on a Mac?) and my browser started downloading a .dll file, which was obviously suspicious.

I'm not sure if I would have been naive enough to put in all my login details had the page loaded, but hey you never know. I know for sure that some people I know who use eBay (my gf for instance) would have easily been scammed.

So just a warning to all of you who use eBay and/or Paypal... if you get an email prompting you for a password at a strange time (i.e. not immediately after registration, or something...), delete it.

Mar 3, 2004 at 10:04 AM Post #3 of 21
Hey thanks for the link. I'll forward away.
biggrin.gif

Mar 3, 2004 at 10:27 AM Post #4 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by fiddler
Hey thanks for the link. I'll forward away.
biggrin.gif

My pleasure! Let's hope that eBay nails those b**tards!
very_evil_smiley.gif

D.

**Edited by moderator for language**

Mar 3, 2004 at 9:04 PM Post #7 of 21
The bad spelling and/or grammar alert me more than anything. Sadly, the wife found one of these on one of our email accounts. She was curious at first, but was smart enough to ask first. I told her it was a scam, so she deleted it.

These scammers are getting smarter and smarter all the time. I would guess these newer scams like this are raking in more than most others combined. Very deceptive and they look quite real.

Mar 3, 2004 at 9:22 PM Post #8 of 21
Most online services rarely ever email you and ask you for your password or personal information. I have seen scamming emails with links to look-a-like knock-off sights trying to steal passwords, credit card information, and other forms of identification.

Sometimes companies send you legitimate email to warn you about something or you need to correct something. In these cases, you will have to use your best judgements to figure out if the email messages is legitimate. I had one scary experience where someone managed to intercept a purchase I have made online and managed to spoof a fake email asking me for some outragoues pieces of personal information. They got the order number, item, and company logo correct. I thought the contents of the message was too far fetch, so I contacted the reseller and they told me what I found in my email box was bogus. I quickly changed the password to my email box and problem never occurred again. Either this was an inside job at that company or someone cracked my email box password and read my order confirmations. I cannot believe someone would work that hard to scam me.

Mar 4, 2004 at 1:14 AM Post #9 of 21
I can certainly understand your outrage at receiving this e-mail. However, I feel it is quite inappropriate for you to post a "Trojan Horse" URL in your message beginning this thread.

Mar 4, 2004 at 1:18 AM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by Music Fanatic
I can certainly understand your outrage at receiving this e-mail. However, I feel it is quite inappropriate for you to post a "Trojan Horse" URL in your message beginning this thread.

it's not, though i thought it might be at first too from the way it was described. it's a link to info about the scam.

Mar 4, 2004 at 1:41 AM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by usc goose
it's not, though i thought it might be at first too from the way it was described. it's a link to info about the scam.

Mea culpa. I didn't try the link after the warning in the message. It seems I was too quick to rush to judgement on this one!

Mar 4, 2004 at 3:59 AM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by Demolition
My pleasure! Let's hope that eBay nails those b**tards!
very_evil_smiley.gif

D.

**Edited by moderator for language**

Hmmm...why does this get edited for language, but no the title of the thread?
confused.gif

Mar 4, 2004 at 9:51 AM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by Music Fanatic

I understand your confusion. Edited for clarity....

Mar 4, 2004 at 9:52 AM Post #15 of 21
And sorry about using the b-word.

Next time I'll use "mean person", or something...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back