Scammer: TRL (Tube Research Labs) / Paul Weitzel
May 24, 2009 at 8:59 AM Post #151 of 170
Quote:

Originally Posted by manaox2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know you don't think the supply gets very hot, but a spark is enough to start a petty quick and intense fire regardless.

So sincerely, please do not ever come to a meet with that thing. Your negligence in sticking foam inside of a power supply rather then buy some cheap pipe clamps available at any local hardware store astounds me. I really don't find it very funny.

It's not that I don't think the PS gets very hot, I know it doesn't. Why is there the assumption that foam here is like petrol? I guarantee you could not start a fire with a spark with this foam. As a matter of fact, before I posted back, I took some of that foam and put it in the direct path of an electrical spark, imbedded in the foam by short circuiting, and there is no fire. Puting it in the line of sparks from a grinder produces no fire also. I think I may have to light it up to get it burning. I didn't light it up.

I wouldn't be able to come to a meet with that thing anyways unless someone gives me a hand carrying 100kg of preamp. So, I think you are very safe there
smily_headphones1.gif
You seem to be stuck on the idea of using pipe clamps to secure them. I think if you saw the way things are in the actual unit, you will understand that you cannot make it work. I could easily get rid of the foam and cut bits of timber and pack them in there to prevent the caps from moving. Actually, timber is also flammable also, and a spark might set that alight too, so some steel would be more ideal, or aluminium ....

I don't find the safety side of things funny. What I found funny is ... Could you imagine the look on my neighbours face if I knocked on their door and asked the question if it would be OK if I continued to have this foam inside a power supply for a stereo ....?

May 24, 2009 at 4:33 PM Post #152 of 170
Quote:

Originally Posted by linnmaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What I found funny is ... Could you imagine the look on my neighbours face if I knocked on their door and asked the question if it would be OK if I continued to have this foam inside a power supply for a stereo ....?

I get it. They'd probably have the same look on their face that we did when we saw that thing.

May 25, 2009 at 12:23 AM Post #154 of 170
Since this is a thread suggesting that TRS is a dodgy operation, I still would like to see better photos of your amp linnmaster. Also, if you don't mind me asking, did you buy your amp new or used? Also, would you be ok telling us how much it cost?

May 25, 2009 at 10:22 AM Post #156 of 170
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since this is a thread suggesting that TRS is a dodgy operation, I still would like to see better photos of your amp linnmaster. Also, if you don't mind me asking, did you buy your amp new or used? Also, would you be ok telling us how much it cost?

I hope the photos are clearer. I purchased my preamp secondhand. As you know the price of these units brand new, I could have never afforded it. As far as what I've read on this forum, seems I paid wayyyy too much ... In the thousands, but not tens of thousands. Exact figures are not needed.

Jun 6, 2009 at 12:02 PM Post #157 of 170
Hmmm ... suddenly everyone has nothing else to say. I was enjoying the friendly conversation and learning heaps from all the experts here that foam becomes something combustable in an environment that is 10 degrees C above that of ambient in the matter of two weeks, or a few months, and insiting that caps have to be held in place, ridgid and secure with mechanical fixtures when there is nothing mechanical to fix onto. Oh well, nice yapping to you all. Best regards to all. See ya!

Jun 7, 2009 at 6:40 PM Post #158 of 170
Quote:

Originally Posted by linnmaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmmm ... suddenly everyone has nothing else to say. I was enjoying the friendly conversation and learning heaps from all the experts here that foam becomes something combustable in an environment that is 10 degrees C above that of ambient in the matter of two weeks, or a few months, and insiting that caps have to be held in place, ridgid and secure with mechanical fixtures when there is nothing mechanical to fix onto. Oh well, nice yapping to you all. Best regards to all. See ya!

Why don't you try posting in the cable forums next?

Jun 7, 2009 at 8:00 PM Post #160 of 170
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsaliga /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why don't you give the guy a break?

Because as hard as it may be to believe, there just may be another head of cattle out there dumb enough to copy that packing foam "modification", even if it involves a leap of faith over common sense.

Jun 7, 2009 at 8:10 PM Post #162 of 170
Quote:

You don't have to be a rude prick to make a point.

--Jerome

If it keeps someone from burning their house down, I really don't mind.

Jun 7, 2009 at 8:27 PM Post #163 of 170
Quote:

As hard as it may be to believe, you really don't have to be a rude prick to make a point.

--Jerome

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samgotit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If it keeps someone from burning their house down, I really don't mind.

If you two don't stop fighting, I'm going to pull this car over and smack both of you!!!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 7, 2009 at 8:29 PM Post #164 of 170
Quote:

As hard as it may be to believe, you really don't have to be a rude prick to make a point.

--Jerome

You can tell its something that comes natural to him. Makes him feel smarter or something along those lines. Or.......maybe hes 14-15 years old?

Jun 7, 2009 at 8:44 PM Post #165 of 170
Quote:

Originally Posted by tom hankins /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can tell its something that comes natural to him. Makes him feel smarter or something along those lines. Or.......maybe hes 14-15 years old?

Actually, yes, I'm am feeling superior. Having the common sense to recognize something that could be a potential hazard really pumps me up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back