Scammer: TRL (Tube Research Labs) / Paul Weitzel
Jun 7, 2009 at 8:59 PM Post #166 of 170
Quote:

Originally Posted by linnmaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmmm ... suddenly everyone has nothing else to say. I was enjoying the friendly conversation and learning heaps from all the experts here that foam becomes something combustable in an environment that is 10 degrees C above that of ambient in the matter of two weeks, or a few months, and insiting that caps have to be held in place, ridgid and secure with mechanical fixtures when there is nothing mechanical to fix onto. Oh well, nice yapping to you all. Best regards to all. See ya!

If there's nothing secure to attach capacitors to, you should build something to securely attach them to. $10 of aluminum from the hardware store, a jigsaw and a drill are all you need.

The thing about safety is that you always need to think a few steps ahead. A friend is an engineer at a big hotel in LA. Another engineer ran out of black and white wire during an installation, and decided to finish up with the green wire he did have.

The wiring worked with the green wire and the guy who did it knew what was going on. However, ten years on, there's a fair possibility that someone might get cooked because they were working on what they thought was a ground, but it was actually hot.

The same thing goes with packing foam into a chassis. Maybe you have it all figured out and will be OK. But what if someone else reads this thread and decides it's OK? Then they use something that does catch fire and kills a few people. This thread isn't just a conversation with you, me and the other posters. It's been read by a few thousand people so far and it'll be accessible to the world for a long time.

Also, do you know what will happen to your amp down the road? It's likely that you'll sell or trade it for something else. What if someone else repacks it with a more dangerous foam? How would you feel if the guy you sold it to got hurt? What if someone decides that they don't like the foam, takes it out, and lets the caps hang loose inside? One could pull free, short to the chassis, and fry the next person who touches it. Yeah, this is all hypothetical, but all forseeable. You don't want to put others at risk.

That's why I think it is necessary to point out and correct safety issues. If someone reads this thread, I want them to know that it is dangerous to do what you did. I really think you should build a frame to hold the caps. Think a few steps ahead - others might not be so lucky.

Apr 16, 2010 at 1:02 PM Post #167 of 170
I agree with you guys about not encouraging the foam bit for others, but yeah give the dude a little bit of a break, after all, he was nice enough to provide entertainment to you all for a little while.......................

Apr 17, 2010 at 7:01 AM Post #168 of 170
Quote:

Originally Posted by londonbarn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
he was nice enough to provide entertainment to you all for a little while.......................

One would think he did that begrudgingly...

Sep 10, 2014 at 9:58 AM Post #170 of 170
Right. Long, long time no log-in! While sorting out some old emails I was reminded of this fiasco. A quick google shows me that these jokers are still in business. I actually found the photos (just some) of the dodgy work. To help protect anyone who might be considering spending money with TRL, check how they bastardized this DAC-AH, and its 'external battery case' which they said they made specifically for it:

Yep, that's just glue. And wires left dangling and disconnected. The unit produced sound, but sounded like a55. Please don't even consider wasting money with these fools.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back