Scammed? (Resolved!)
Feb 4, 2009 at 9:52 PM Post #17 of 49
It is great to be trusting but... Open a PayPal dispute now. This does not cancel your deal but makes the seller aware that you serious. Any good seller will understand your impatience, only a scammer or a fool would have a problem with your action, neither of which you probably want to deal with again. It has been my experience that the people that are most "offended" by questions during a deal are the ones that have a dubious agenda. Good luck.

Feb 4, 2009 at 10:53 PM Post #21 of 49
It really is great to be able to get others opinions on subjects such as this, the red mist had well and truly set in and I lacked any perspective. Thanks again for all the advice. I will let you know what happens.

Feb 4, 2009 at 11:14 PM Post #22 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark_h /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I recently bough a CD player. Ten days ago to be precise, I payed via paypal as promptly as possible and ever since the guy has just made excuse after excuse. Firstly it was to ensure the money was cleared in paypal, fair enough, then it was until the transfer from paypal to his bank account was clear, 3-5 working days. Again fair enough but overcautious. Now he is procrastinating over shipping the item and wants to use a slow delivery service. Believe me I paid for the fast shipping.

I have gone from very patient, to patient to impatient to anger now I am at the rage point of the scale. I need cooler heads than mine to offer advice because I am furious and will say something out of place if I communicate with him. I am thinking of giving him a deadline before paypa action. Am I just being impatient?

and because of this chances are that even if paypal sides with you there will be no money refunded

Feb 5, 2009 at 12:49 AM Post #23 of 49
i think via ebay, paypal holds the funds and doesnt give the seller access until the buyer confirms he got the item by giving feedback or 30 days after the seller has confirmed shipping the item.

Either way, there is a 30 days gap. If paypal allowed ppl to transfer money into their banks immediately and run away with it and not allow disputes and claims it would be a complete failure as a system.

Feb 5, 2009 at 1:19 AM Post #24 of 49
I thought PayPal can still send an account into the negative to refund someone?

Feb 5, 2009 at 2:49 AM Post #25 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought PayPal can still send an account into the negative to refund someone?

Not necessarily , I have been through this, the seller had cleared their paypal account and paypal told me that although they supported my dispute that they could not recover any funds , luckily I only got done for a few quid.

However, I did not have the payPal protection that the op mentions...

Feb 5, 2009 at 3:04 AM Post #26 of 49
Here's how the scam works: seller builds up eBay and Paypal rep by doing many small/mid dollar transactions over a period of time. These sales are legitimate and well-managed. Then, he or she adds many big-ticket high-demand items to the mix. Takes as much money as they can and then clears out account. There's always a sucker who can be delayed longer than the 30 or 45 day Paypal action time.

Whereas ebay has special software "red flags" that look for this type of selling pattern and has thus tightened its seller procedures; Paypal does eventually drop the "30-day hold" after a while if the seller knows how to manipulate the system.

Call it a mini Bernard Maydoff: 1) gain trust 2) exploit trust 3) rinse and repeat. 4) do it till they catch up with you

Keep on this guy like a wet Snuggie, and just maybe, you'll recover your money.

Feb 5, 2009 at 1:35 PM Post #27 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by jilgiljongiljing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i think via ebay, paypal holds the funds and doesnt give the seller access until the buyer confirms he got the item by giving feedback or 30 days after the seller has confirmed shipping the item.

Either way, there is a 30 days gap. If paypal allowed ppl to transfer money into their banks immediately and run away with it and not allow disputes and claims it would be a complete failure as a system.

They do allow access to funds immediately (even via ebay), at least on my account. I always move my Paypal funds to my bank account straight away. But then I also usually send the items the same day I get paid.

Feb 5, 2009 at 3:42 PM Post #28 of 49
No, I certainly don't think you are.
10 days is plenty for wrapping up and shipping out a CD player.

You probably should open a PayPal dispute, claiming your money back.

Feb 5, 2009 at 3:53 PM Post #29 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by walkingman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
X3 on opening a dispute.

Sounds like he is just stalling.

X4
angry_face.gif

I'd open up the dispute w/ Paypal. Seems to me you have gone the extra distance. Going into the rage mode will be most detrimental to you and your serenity.

It's always crap when one lives up to their end and the other can care less. I feel sorry for your extra expense for faster shipping. Good Luck!

Feb 5, 2009 at 4:02 PM Post #30 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by MoxMonkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
and because of this chances are that even if paypal sides with you there will be no money refunded

not the case at all

i have had many paypal disputes over the years, all finding in my favour

i know for a fact that isnt the case, they will reverse the funds if in your favour and this will either leave the seller with a negative balance that he has to correct.

because your original payment is linked to his withdrawal to his bank, they can easily and quickly invoke a reversal, no matter if its cleared into his account or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back