saying goodbye to family pets
Aug 13, 2002 at 9:04 PM Post #16 of 26
I too very recently lost our dog and I know the pain and anguish you feel. It will improve with time. Soon your memories will be of the good times you were able to share with him. It is a hard decision to put an animal down but one that we must make to end their pain. My thoughts are with you.

Aug 13, 2002 at 9:04 PM Post #17 of 26
My heart goes out to you, friend.
I know that your decision was made out of love. Thats why it was so difficult. Foxy knows this too.

Aug 14, 2002 at 1:00 AM Post #18 of 26
I really miss her today.
frown.gif
I got home and the house feels really empty.

I still feel, because of the nature of her disease, like I betrayed her somehow. Physically she was fine; she had some arthritis but it was under control. When she was around me, she still seemed fine. I can't help but think that it was unnecesary. but looking at that door, and thinking that when I left for college she would have done that every day and inflicted more pain upon herself, I have to accept that I made the right choice. But it still hurts.

anyway, I really appreciate your support, guys. thanks again.

Aug 14, 2002 at 4:53 AM Post #19 of 26
Neruda,
I think I posted something similar to John...
I put down two dogs and had one just die. If you are a dog lover, go out and rescue another woofer.
One of my missions on earth is to give as many dogs as I can a nice life.
I grieve for the ones that I put down, but I also relish in the ones that still roam my home. I got my Miller from the pound. He follows me around the house as if he knows I saved him.
Dogs will come and go in our lifetime...but for your woofers, you will always be there.
md

Aug 14, 2002 at 5:59 AM Post #20 of 26
All the dogs I ever own will come from the pound, that's for sure. If I could, I'd take every one of them home.

Aug 14, 2002 at 10:29 AM Post #21 of 26
I also want to pass along my condolences. We love our dog very much, a 100 lb Newfoundland named "Thor", but he is four years old now, and for Newfies that is almost middle age. I know there will be a difficult decision coming my way in about 5 or 6 years, and I hope I have the courage to do the right thing, like you did. I don't know if I would be able to do it myself, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

I agree with Millerdog, unlike human relationships, nothing is better for a broken off canine relationship than getting another dog. Good luck.....

-Keith

Aug 14, 2002 at 10:35 AM Post #22 of 26
I've never had a pet. Though I've always wanted one desperately. My mom hates pets and since I live with her that isn't a choice.

I do understand how it feels to lose a pet. I was with a friend when she lost one and even I cried with her. At least our pets will go to a better place up there.

It's nice to know that there are so many animal lovers here. I'm sure all of them were well loved and taken care of.

Neruda,

You did the right thing. My best wishes go out to you.

Aug 14, 2002 at 4:50 PM Post #23 of 26
I am so sorry Pablo. I hardly know what to tell you. But I think Foxie is in a better place now. She's okay, and you can be sure of that. As for you my friend, gather strenght from the fact that you did the right thing. You'll miss her, but eventually you guys will be together again. Take care amigo Pablo.

Aug 14, 2002 at 7:46 PM Post #24 of 26
Health and happiness are not always related, and it sounds to me like she was in some severe emotional pain. Sometimes the emotional pain is the worst. It is difficult, but reasonable, to end suffering, and cruel to allow it to continue. Your choice to end her pain was compassionate.

Mar 5, 2006 at 4:00 AM Post #26 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by millerdog
Neruda,
I think I posted something similar to John...
I put down two dogs and had one just die. If you are a dog lover, go out and rescue another woofer.
One of my missions on earth is to give as many dogs as I can a nice life.
I grieve for the ones that I put down, but I also relish in the ones that still roam my home. I got my Miller from the pound. He follows me around the house as if he knows I saved him.
Dogs will come and go in our lifetime...but for your woofers, you will always be there.
md

Same here. We have had to put down 2 of our Greyhounds, a German Sheperd, A Lab mix, and 2 cats. It is never easy. But we currently have 3 more rescued Greyhounds and 3 shelter cats. And the weirdest thing is, our old pets end up showing themselves to us in some of the behaviors of our new pets. I'm probably just a crazy old bald guy, but I swear that our old pets reach out from beyond to teach the new ones things. It's probably just similar behavior, but it comforts me to think of them coming back to us in this way.

My condolences to you, and when you have the chance, get a new dog. Foxy will show up in some silly thing the new one does and you will remember her for the great dog she was.

A_Sr.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back