Say I want to get the Koss KSC-75...
Aug 29, 2008 at 10:26 PM Post #16 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by cyberspyder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But I don't want to use heatshrink on the wires leading away from the y-split....won't it be even more microphonic than the wires itself? Want something that will stay in place without a 'binding' agent...a braid won't unravel when sleeved, that's the reason I wanted to see if the 6 and the 8 strand braid was ideal.

I use the same cotton tube both below and above the Y split. The braid below and the two twisted pairs above the split are kept in place by the same heatshrink that keeps the sleeve in place.

Edit: the cotton sleeves are looser than a sleeve made of heatshrink would be, but the braides are closed at the ends and the wires are sufficiently rigid, so they don't unravel.

Aug 29, 2008 at 11:36 PM Post #17 of 33
Do consider the fact that a lot of these funky looking "fancy" braids actually do very bad things to the signal in terms of capacitance and inductance. A simple 4-wire flat braid will work great using anywhere from 24awg-30awg wire. I bought a lot of stranded 24awg SPC because I think it is a great size to work with in terms of durability and flexibility and is what I use for headphone recables.

Sep 4, 2008 at 4:08 PM Post #22 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by cerbie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On top of that, the KSC35 have been discontinued for ages.

I'm confused. I was just looking into getting the KSC35s but found them on their site is their site messed?

http://www.koss.com/koss/kossweb.nsf/p?openform&pc^sc^KSC35

Sep 4, 2008 at 4:44 PM Post #23 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by NoValidTitle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm confused. I was just looking into getting the KSC35s but found them on their site is their site messed?

http://www.koss.com/koss/kossweb.nsf/p?openform&pc^sc^KSC35

<- jumps up and down like a kid you promised ice cream to

How'd I miss this? I got a pair to check 'em out, and then they were gone, and somehow I guess I've managed to not read anywhere about their return. I love the clips (they're on my home KSC75 pair).

Dec 14, 2008 at 2:23 AM Post #24 of 33
hey guys, i just recabled my ksc75 with cat5 cable, using all eight wires, with 4 wires braided for each side. but now they are super stiff and has a lot of microphonics, since its unsleeved and unshielded.
would i benefit from the stock cables if i just use 4 cables instead, with 2 wires on each side? I want them to be more flexible and eliminate the microphonics, while still using the wires i have, since they are free
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 14, 2008 at 4:08 AM Post #27 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol, I can't imagine how the KSC75s would look like with 8 strands of CAT5.

here it is:

now, I used the cat5 because im just experimenting and it was free. it does sound a bit better, with bass thats deeper, but it might just be a placebo though.
anyways, would i benefit from the stock cables if i decrease the number of wires to just 4?
and how do i shield it to eliminate microphonics?

Dec 14, 2008 at 8:34 PM Post #29 of 33
It was my understanding that the SportaPro uses the 35 driver.
Bought the SportaPro for ~$20 a few months back = happy
And no ugly blue, like the PortaPro
Still not up to par with my PX100, but close

Dec 14, 2008 at 10:11 PM Post #30 of 33
between the 75 and 35:
--the 35 is smooth, has more weight;
--the 75 is slightly harsh, has kind of a metalic brightness;
--bass is about the same on both.
--Top end extension is about the same on both.
--I couldn't stand the 75.

between 35 and iGrado:
--iGrado, in stock form, is not much, if any, better than the 35.
--if you recable both to silver/teflon, the 35 will see some improvement but not much, while the iGrado will scale in a major way (actaully transformed it from my lest favored phone into my most favored phone. ).

If you want to recable these phones,
*the 75 can benefit from a pure copper recable, either star quad or if you are more serious, use 26awg OFC/teflon. I no longer have my 75 and had never recabled it, so I am not sure how much actual improvement you will see. Using SPC is probably not gonna help the metalic harshness of the 75.
*there is no need to recable the 35, sure it will help, but not really necessary. If you just can't help yourself, I'd recommend star quad or OFC/teflon.
*iGrado or SR60 can really justify a silver/teflon recable. It will elevate the performence to the same as, more likly beyond, the level of SR125's. (but by the time you recabled it to silver, the total price will be higher than SR125 too)

If you can handle the microphonic/stiffness, use square quad braid; otherwise a twisted pair will work just fine. The main advantage of using quad braid is a wider sound stage.

and finally: CAT5 is garbadge, solid core or not. The main problem is the cheap PVC insulation. Don't waste your time on that stuff.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back