Save the PDCP! Modding, anyone?
Mar 8, 2007 at 6:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

cyanbomb

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys! :)

I own a Panasonic SL-CT820 PDCP. It seems that since most manufacturers are turning their attention elsewhere, i.e. DAPs, it's up to us to make the most of the few (decent) PDCPs left.

I'm not educated in electronics in any way, and don't know much about soldering, capacitors, OPAmps etc; but I understand that the line-outs of most PDCPs aren't the best quality because they have to pass thru some low-quality...errr capacitors? erm, or was it resistors? (forgive me, I really don't have a clue about this!)

Is there a way to replace those thingies in the signal path to the line out, without a degree in rocket surgery? I'd love to mod my PDCP, and am even willing to handle a soldering iron and give it a go.
lambda.gif

Mar 9, 2007 at 1:25 AM Post #2 of 2
SL-CT820 is once the top Panasonic, I don't think it will suffer much from low quality parts...but you are right, changing the resistors and capacitors to high quality part might improve the sound quality (slightly, IMO).

I belive the best possible improvement comes from chaging the opamps (buffer if apply), than the capacitors. Resistors use in current PCDPs are so small, your typical solder won't be able to solder them at all. You will need to find out how the opamp is mounted (mostly surface mounting I guess), what is its type (voltage and such), and what of the same type of opamps can be used for replacement. Pretty much the same to capacitor. It is complicated process best left for pro

Users who are viewing this thread

Back