Save Me from the Senn's vice grip !!!!
Jul 9, 2004 at 3:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

raaj

500+ Head-Fier
As the title says..

I just received a week old HD650, and from the few hours of use, I am getting a massive headache !! Whoever said the Grados were uncomfortable should be forced to wear a new HD650.. Man, the clamping force these phones are exerting on my skull is overwhelming..

What is the fastest way to relieve this torture?? (short of selling them !!
tongue.gif
. That would be an invalid suggestion. I am not selling these anytime soon
tongue.gif
)

- Raaj

Jul 9, 2004 at 3:52 AM Post #2 of 21
Besides just wearing them a lot, keep a few books in between the phones when not in use. You can also flex and bend the phones (not side to side, just as if they were being put on your head), but don't overdo it or you'll end up with a broken pair of HD650s. Lots of people have successfully bent the 650s to their head shape. I suggest doing the same.

Over time they will become less vice-like. My old pair of HD600s for instance were very tight when I first got them but became very comfortable over time.

Cheers,
Geek

Jul 9, 2004 at 4:15 AM Post #3 of 21
To me the clamping was unbearable. I ended up selling them because of it. I had them sitting on a stuffed animal to stretch them out, but even after a week they clamped down hard.

I think whoever said Grado's are uncomfortable needs to have their head examined. They (the SR60's & SR225's) are by far the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn. You can bend the band to fit your head... simple at that.

Jul 9, 2004 at 4:20 AM Post #4 of 21
I will use the Senn's hard box instead of big books to stretch the headband out..
600smile.gif
sort of giving the Senn a taste of its own medicine.. Hah !!

icon10.gif

Jul 9, 2004 at 4:24 AM Post #5 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by superjohnny
I think whoever said Grado's are uncomfortable needs to have their head examined.

Double meaning i suppose
tongue.gif

But i dont really think the HDs are that bad, at first its a little weird, but by the time burn in is over the headphone is fine, Id just have them expanded while burning in.

Jul 9, 2004 at 4:28 AM Post #6 of 21
Raaj: Maybe you're just grumpy today?
biggrin.gif
The HD650s I wore didn't feel that bad at all.

Now, the most comfortable Senn though, by far, is the HD595.

A nice cup of green tea, chicken noodle soup -- those are places to start for curing headaches
biggrin.gif

Jul 9, 2004 at 4:36 AM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by raaj
What is the fastest way to relieve this torture?? (short of selling them !!
tongue.gif
- Raaj

I thought I had a big head...
600smile.gif
I'm using a large tissue box while they are burning in.

Jul 9, 2004 at 4:38 AM Post #8 of 21
Grumpy, eh !!
evil_smiley.gif

Turth be told, I felt a little uncomfortable using my SR-225 at first, but that was heaven compared to the living hell these new Senns are putting me through right now.. Hehehe..

I have a Blue Dragon cable coming in from a generous head-fi member, and I have an Integra DPS 8.3 Universal player also coming in along with Headphile Black Silver ICs.. so, this weekend should be a great audition !!

icon10.gif
600smile.gif
rs1smile.gif
etysmile.gif
3000smile.gif

Maybe on Monday, I would be all
rolleyes.gif
blink.gif
eek.gif

icon10.gif

Jul 9, 2004 at 5:29 AM Post #9 of 21
I myself own both the senns and the grados and i think that both are very comfortable. Ive worn them for hours on end without any discomfort. But i guess that it all just depends on the person who is wearing them.

Jul 9, 2004 at 5:44 AM Post #10 of 21
Do as Geek says, but also stretch them out a bit prior to putting them on each time. You have to flex or "bounce" them out gently, one side at a time right where the plastic headband ends on each side, being careful not to exert too much pressure and thus create a crimp in the metal. It's a delicate operation, but nothing you'll need to go back to grad school for...

Jul 9, 2004 at 5:53 AM Post #11 of 21
Hi Superjohnny,

Did you play music through them whilst they were on the stuffed animal to burn then in. If so we need the following information in order to assist with the problem.
1. Type and gender of stuffed animal
2. Musical tastes of stuffed animal
3. Datailed specs of source components
4. All that is going to be argued about because every animals tastes and ears differ
5. Whatever you have you will need to upgrade it, costing lots of money
6 A new argument then about what you should upgrade first
7 An argument about which is the best upgrade component
8 Then someone will tell you the cans are no good anyway and you should spend more money
9. Further argument about which new cans will be better

Just a normal every day story in the life of a Head-Fier.

LOL

John

John

Jul 9, 2004 at 6:02 AM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by raaj
I will use the Senn's hard box instead of big books to stretch the headband out..
600smile.gif
sort of giving the Senn a taste of its own medicine.. Hah !!

icon10.gif

Be careful or you will end smashing the pads also....In your shoes I would take out the pads first and put the book whatever later, but leave the pads out of the pressure, they have a cheap foam inside....
wink.gif

Jul 9, 2004 at 6:02 AM Post #13 of 21
After receiving them I had my HD650's for several days burning in hugging a fat pillow. Also some nights they were hugging the box they came in, together with a Playstation 2, so quite some width between the drivers, slightly larger than the width of my head. After that period (about 5 days) they became very comfortable to wear, as they have been since.

I also think the SR-60's are comfy, have no problem with the comfies on my earlobes, actually the flat hard headband touching my head is more of an issue for me than the supra-aural comfies of the Grado's.

The most comfortable headphones I've ever had on my head are for sure the Orpheus, then and very close the AKG501's.

Jul 9, 2004 at 9:45 PM Post #15 of 21
Geez, I'm sorry to hear about your comfort problem. I've had my 650's for about a week, and they have stretched out nicely. Granted I've been wearing them a lot. I remember the same problem with my 600's, and in time every thing loosend up nicely.

Maybe if you extend the phones all the way out and give it the pillow stretch things might loosen up faster?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back