Saturday Night Showdown: SNL or MadTV?
Jan 9, 2006 at 4:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

DJ e

500+ Head-Fier
1.SNL
2.MadTV

So, which do you think is funnier? I say SNL by a longshot most of the time...

Jan 9, 2006 at 5:10 AM Post #2 of 24
snl. I like mad tv too, but both shows have gone downhill IMO, still a lil funny, but nowhere as creative or memorable as before. The fact that the good cast members have left doesn't help things. I know, beating a dead horse, my apologies.

I'm 19, and used to spend my summers watching snl/mad tv/kids in the all reruns.
biggrin.gif

Jan 9, 2006 at 5:22 AM Post #3 of 24
2:300

That would be the ratio of the number of times that mad tv made me laugh : the number of times mad tv made me change the channel.

Jan 9, 2006 at 5:25 AM Post #4 of 24
MADTv has its moments, but I just really dislike some of their reoccuring sketches that seem too over the top for me, like the Stuart or Miss Swan. SNL isn't as good as it used to be (even in my lifetime) but I'll usually give SNL at a shot at entertaining me while MADTv is usually a last resort.

Jan 9, 2006 at 5:35 AM Post #5 of 24
OddBall more or less took the words out of my mouth.

When MadTV is gold it's about the funniest thing on TV, unfortunately most of the time it is pretty stupid. (IMHO) SNL isn't what it used to be, but when I watch it (which is pretty rare these days) I can at least count on a few quality sketches. Darryl Hammond (is he still on? Haven't watched it in a while) is one of the funniest impressionists I've ever seen. (His stand-up act is pretty funny as well...)

Jan 9, 2006 at 6:53 AM Post #6 of 24
Mad TV has always been horrible and unfunnny. SNL is just recently horrible and unfunny. But when Ferrell was still on, back all the way to Chevy Chase, this show was the best there was. Too bad it isn't good anymore.

If you disagree with me you have a bad sense of humor and therefore are wrong, meaning you shouldn't post anymore in this thread.

Jan 9, 2006 at 7:49 AM Post #8 of 24
I don't think it's a fair fight. SNL has had such a long and prestigious history whereas Mad is relevantly a new show in comparison. Furthermore, SNL has launched so many cast members into what could be considered super stardom. I can't think of one Mad cast member as of yet that has reached the same level as even the least successful cast member that has made the leap to the big screen.

Jan 9, 2006 at 7:53 AM Post #9 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by 909
Furthermore, SNL has launched so many cast members into what could be considered super stardom. I can't think of one Mad cast member as of yet that has reached the same level as even the least successful cast member that has made the leap to the big screen.

Doesn't that just prove that snl, it's writers, the cast, etc. have that "something" that madtv doesn't?

Jan 9, 2006 at 7:53 AM Post #10 of 24
Old MadTV was good, this new stuff is horrible!

Jan 9, 2006 at 8:01 AM Post #11 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
Doesn't that just prove that snl, it's writers, the cast, etc. have that "something" that madtv doesn't?

Of course, and that “something” is a more popularly accepted and marketable source of comedic talent.
wink.gif

Jan 9, 2006 at 8:02 AM Post #12 of 24
I really think both have gone down a step in quality these past few years.All the great cast members seem to have left.

I don't watch them as i used to but still catch MadTV once in a great while.

Jan 9, 2006 at 8:06 AM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by 909
Of course, and that “something” is a more popularly accepted and marketable source of comedic talent.
wink.gif

True I guess. Madtv always had a somewhat off-kilter sense of humor, but good in it's own way. Both shows sadly seem to use lame immature type jokes nowadays, with a racial stereotype thrown in at least once an episode. I think they're targeting drunk college kids or something. I can barely remember any sketches, nothing truly stands out anymore. I can recall the mad tv hiding the cupboard skit though, that was freakin hilarious. Better than snl's crappy parody, which proved that their current cast can't even "fake" act right.

Jan 9, 2006 at 8:30 AM Post #14 of 24
I never really got into MadTV. Every time I would tune-in, I just didn't find it all that funny and changed the channel within a few minutes or so. Today, I rarely watch SNL because it just isn't that funny anymore.

The Dave Chappelle Show, however, is another story and probably one of the most original and hilarious comedic shows on TV today.

Jan 9, 2006 at 9:01 AM Post #15 of 24
Ahhh.... The Chappelle Show... It killed all of them, no question!

For all time sketch comedy show, I'd be tempted to say Mr. Show was a little better... Hard to say though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back