Satellite Shoot Down
Mar 1, 2008 at 11:39 PM Post #31 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiGHFLYiN9 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Excellent, my dream to be a space garbageman may come to fruition sooner that expected
biggrin.gif

planetes.jpg

'mon back! 'mon back! [crackle of static]

Mar 13, 2008 at 1:33 AM Post #34 of 37
I'd say rockhound for laughs, fail on all attempts. Knowing the progression and advancement of technology of Asian/Euro countries vs. USA, USA is still, not to say far from being able to shoot it down. But just slightly left behind. It'll all be by luck if it hits.

Mar 13, 2008 at 2:13 AM Post #35 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZephyrSapphire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd say rockhound for laughs, fail on all attempts. Knowing the progression and advancement of technology of Asian/Euro countries vs. USA, USA is still, not to say far from being able to shoot it down. But just slightly left behind. It'll all be by luck if it hits.

It was already shot down first time. Yay Hawaiian fleet....

Mar 13, 2008 at 3:23 PM Post #36 of 37
Wife and I were on Kauai during this: Saw a ship on the horizon, got out the camera, and at max magnification, took picture of the ship that did the deed, returning. Missed the launch, darn it!! Just as I was taking pictures of the ship, it was confirmed that the kill was successful.

As far as difficult, it was "Shooting a Bullet with a bullet" Pretty darn hard!

About debris: quote I read said that the Chinese hit, all by itself, increased the total bits of junk whizzing around in orbit by over 50%. All the rest of the junk is there from Russia and US (mostly) over fifty years. And the Chinese made it 50% more likely that following missions are going to take a hit. Pretty nasty, if you ask me. And, at present technology level, NOONE can make a capsule that won't get penetrated by anything bigger than a 1/4X20 nut, at closing speeds of over 18,000 mph Depending on orbit, the closing speeds could be over 50,000 mph. Figure the kinetic hit of a one kilo bolt at that speed - YIPES!!!!

Mar 14, 2008 at 1:02 AM Post #37 of 37
I have been on that ship a few times, probably one of the more competent crews out here. Regardless they had 3 tries to get it done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back