SAT Scores!
Mar 10, 2007 at 1:17 AM Post #106 of 141
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure /img/forum/go_quote.gif
2x? Where'd you get that figure? I know they are important, but I didn't know they were that important (I thought it was like 60/40).

Yeah, ny SAT II's aren't as great. If anything they are what will prevent me from getting into Berkeley/LA:

SAT Biology (M): 740
SAT Math IIC: 720

Taking Math IIC again this Saturday
redface.gif

u shld get into berkeley. A lot of my friends got in without having a better score than u and they are international students.

Mar 10, 2007 at 3:02 AM Post #109 of 141
Quote:

Originally Posted by wax4213 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Personally, I'd take the analogies over an essay. It's also impossible to completely objectively grade an essay, thereby limiting its ability to be a truly standardized test.

I loved the analogies and did pretty well with them. Call it two years of Latin I guess, I may have not known the words but I could at least tell from structures what they may have possibly meant. I ended up with like a 790 verbal and only ever managed to pull a 600 math, after a few attempts. I loved math, but my mind just doesn't wrap as quickly around all the geometry. I would rebel strongly against the essay section if I had to take one now. My handwriting is truly awful.

Mar 10, 2007 at 4:01 AM Post #111 of 141
Quote:

Originally Posted by polvodediamante /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wutever! I got a 920 back in '03!!! and now I'm doing Aerospace eng. as my major and so far it's going good! SCREW SAT SCORES!!!!!
tongue.gif

Pretty much... If you think about it, what meaning does a test score have when there are numerous prep courses, books, etc that focus on getting a higher score on it? Add to that the fact that you can retake the test numerous times, and the whole point of the test is null. Congrats, you've become better at taking a test!

If normal courses worked the way the SAT did, you'd start studying for the final from the first day of class onward. There would be a book handed out in class that tells you how to do better on the final. Previous finals would also be handed out. Every two weeks the teacher takes your lunch money and in turn gives you a final. No lunch money, no final for you. After each final you get it back and review how to do better on the next one. The highest final test grade counts. Useful course eh?

The education system really needs a revamp. And by revamp, I mean a complete rewrite from the ground up.

Mar 10, 2007 at 5:50 AM Post #113 of 141
CR: 580
M: 670
W: 700

I did much better on my ACT (composite score 32!)

Mar 10, 2007 at 7:17 AM Post #114 of 141
Quote:

Originally Posted by Konig /img/forum/go_quote.gif
u shld get into berkeley. A lot of my friends got in without having a better score than u and they are international students.

I'm still doubting it. You have to understand that it's very important to take the major into consideration when talking about admissions to colleges, ESPECIALLY when you're talking about the most competitive major at Berkeley (EECS, which is what I applied for).

I re-took the Math IIC exam a few months ago and got a mere 740. It'd be great if I got into Berkeley EECS, but my ACT/SAT math scores aren't up to par (Yeah, yeah, it's just a test, but that doesn't mean that it doesn't measure anything; it still gives you a pretty good idea of one's math abilities, and 740 Math IIC and 30 Math ACT is under-par for Berkeley EECS). One big reason why I want to go to Berkeley is location. I'm located in Northern California, so Berkeley is less than a 2 hour drive away. The other 2 schools I'm considering, UCLA and UCSD, are ridiculously far away (At least 5-6 hours to LA).

I've gotten into the following so far:

Cal Poly
UCSB (Regents Scholarship)
UCI (Regents Scholarship, Honors program)
UCSD (I got the top applicant email, which essentially means I'm in)
UCLA (I got the Engineering Open House/top applicant letter, which essentially means I'm in)

I've yet to hear from the following:
UC Berkeley
UC Davis (? I'm not concerned though; if I got into UCLA, I'm 100% sure I got into UC Davis)

I've stopped looking at Berkeley as the place I want to go as I don't want to set myself up for disappointment. So, I'm looking more into UCSD and UCLA (I'm planning a trip to Southern California to visit both).

Mar 10, 2007 at 8:39 AM Post #115 of 141
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kwisatz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pretty much... If you think about it, what meaning does a test score have when there are numerous prep courses, books, etc that focus on getting a higher score on it? Add to that the fact that you can retake the test numerous times, and the whole point of the test is null. Congrats, you've become better at taking a test!

If normal courses worked the way the SAT did, you'd start studying for the final from the first day of class onward. There would be a book handed out in class that tells you how to do better on the final. Previous finals would also be handed out. Every two weeks the teacher takes your lunch money and in turn gives you a final. No lunch money, no final for you. After each final you get it back and review how to do better on the next one. The highest final test grade counts. Useful course eh?

The education system really needs a revamp. And by revamp, I mean a complete rewrite from the ground up.

what kind of revamp? while i agree that the education system isn't all that great, i can't think of anything better myself. in my opinion, as long as all of the content is presented correctly, a student is either going to do well or not going to do well. unless you're a follower of the multiple intelligences philosophy, in a sense that you believe people are equally smart, just in different areas... unless a student has a mental/learning disability, the current education system should really suffice. you can't force someone to learn, and while i don't think the SAT is a perfect measure of intelligence (nothing is), if you score good on it odds are you're smart.

once again, i have failed to really express what i'm trying to say, but i hope you got the gist of it...

Mar 10, 2007 at 8:49 AM Post #116 of 141
...didn't realize I posted already ..
biggrin.gif

Mar 10, 2007 at 3:53 PM Post #117 of 141
Last year, 7th grade that is, I got a 1580 on the new SAT. Meh.

Mar 10, 2007 at 10:00 PM Post #118 of 141
I took the Reasoning Test in Jan 2007 as a high school junior. Here are my results:

CR: 800 (99th %ile)
Math: 760 (98th %ile)
Writing: 660 (92nd %ile)

I plan to take it again in May, because I know that I am a strong writer and can score better than 660. My question is: Where does this put me college-wise? Keep in mind that I am international (Canada), I am asian, and I plan to go into sciences. Assume that my ECs, recommendations, GPA, and essay are up to par for whatever institution you mention.

Mar 12, 2007 at 4:25 AM Post #120 of 141
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm still doubting it. You have to understand that it's very important to take the major into consideration when talking about admissions to colleges, ESPECIALLY when you're talking about the most competitive major at Berkeley (EECS, which is what I applied for).

I re-took the Math IIC exam a few months ago and got a mere 740. It'd be great if I got into Berkeley EECS, but my ACT/SAT math scores aren't up to par (Yeah, yeah, it's just a test, but that doesn't mean that it doesn't measure anything; it still gives you a pretty good idea of one's math abilities, and 740 Math IIC and 30 Math ACT is under-par for Berkeley EECS). One big reason why I want to go to Berkeley is location. I'm located in Northern California, so Berkeley is less than a 2 hour drive away. The other 2 schools I'm considering, UCLA and UCSD, are ridiculously far away (At least 5-6 hours to LA).

I've gotten into the following so far:

Cal Poly
UCSB (Regents Scholarship)
UCI (Regents Scholarship, Honors program)
UCSD (I got the top applicant email, which essentially means I'm in)
UCLA (I got the Engineering Open House/top applicant letter, which essentially means I'm in)

I've yet to hear from the following:
UC Berkeley
UC Davis (? I'm not concerned though; if I got into UCLA, I'm 100% sure I got into UC Davis)

I've stopped looking at Berkeley as the place I want to go as I don't want to set myself up for disappointment. So, I'm looking more into UCSD and UCLA (I'm planning a trip to Southern California to visit both).

dude, if you got the reagents letter from UCSD and the engineering one from UCLA, im pretty sure youre in UCB...dont sweat it so much

Anyways, i got a 1970 (720 CR, 610 M, 640 WR) and im hoping to get into some good UC's by the end of this month too. I wanted to go to berkeley (L&S) until i saw thier freshman admission profile - then i decided something like Santa Cruz would be better for me because im trying to stay as local as i can.

good luck with your admissions though

Users who are viewing this thread

Back