SASH Deux & Tres; impressive planars from Ukraine
Feb 16, 2023 at 10:11 AM Post #813 of 1,214
From the review identified above:
Tres-16's sound is also troubled by a strange metallicity, which I could describe as a kind of background hiss, which is hard to ignore after becoming aware of it. In Tres-45, the characteristic has been completely corrected. Of course, it may be that the problem in question no longer exists in the Tres-16 either, because my own headphones are already a few years ago.
Anyone have a similar experience?

Feb 16, 2023 at 10:28 AM Post #814 of 1,214
From the review identified above:
Tres-16's sound is also troubled by a strange metallicity, which I could describe as a kind of background hiss, which is hard to ignore after becoming aware of it. In Tres-45, the characteristic has been completely corrected. Of course, it may be that the problem in question no longer exists in the Tres-16 either, because my own headphones are already a few years ago.
Anyone have a similar experience?
I just got my 16s in addition to my 45s, and I didn't notice this metallic hiss.

Feb 16, 2023 at 1:49 PM Post #817 of 1,214
It's a very faint effect. Sort of a veil but instead of blanket that muffles the sound think of a fine translucent metal mesh that throws a extra sheen over the music. It is not actual brightness but something else. It could be that some frequencies become louder again when they have completely died out.

Most likely cause that driver keeps resonating longer than it should with some frequencies. This sort of behaviour has been documented with other planar headphones.

Here is spectrum plot of Hifiman HE400se. It does indeed look like "some frequencies become louder again when they have completely died out".
spectr-l-1.png

Here is Sennheiser HD800 for comparison.
spectr-hd800-l.png

Hifimans plot looks like a mess but it should be mostly inaudible. Maybe Tres 16ohm has similar behaviour but with my pair it has crossed audibility treshold. Having a messy spectogram does not mean a headphone is bad. Most people would not say that $7000 Susvara is bad, would they? Here is Susvara's spectogram.
spectr-susvara.png

Spectogram plots are from: https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/

So I would not worry too much about that "hiss" with 16ohm Tres. It might be thing only with older units or just my particular headphones.

Excellent writeup by @Roderick!
If in doubt: best to own both the 16 and 45ohm version :)
Haha! That is a bulletproof plan :beyersmile: They're both great. I propably had some seal issues when I measured the 16ohm. It should have more bass than graphs suggest.

Feb 16, 2023 at 2:08 PM Post #818 of 1,214
It's a very faint effect. Sort of a veil but instead of blanket that muffles the sound think of a fine translucent metal mesh that throws a extra sheen over the music. It is not actual brightness but something else. It could be that some frequencies become louder again when they have completely died out.

Most likely cause that driver keeps resonating longer than it should with some frequencies. This sort of behaviour has been documented with other planar headphones.

Here is spectrum plot of Hifiman HE400se. It does indeed look like "some frequencies become louder again when they have completely died out".
spectr-l-1.png
Here is Sennheiser HD800 for comparison.
spectr-hd800-l.png

Hifimans plot looks like a mess but it should be mostly inaudible. Maybe Tres 16ohm has similar behaviour but with my pair it has crossed audibility treshold. Having a messy spectogram does not mean a headphone is bad. Most people would not say that $7000 Susvara is bad, would they? Here is Susvara's spectogram.
spectr-susvara.png

Spectogram plots are from: https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/

So I would not worry too much about that "hiss" with 16ohm Tres. It might be thing only with older units or just my particular headphones.

Haha! That is a bulletproof plan :beyersmile: They're both great. I propably had some seal issues when I measured the 16ohm. It should have more bass than graphs suggest.
Thanks for the comments. I’m very excited to get my 16’s as they are on the way. Is there a spectrogram for ours out there?

Feb 16, 2023 at 2:24 PM Post #819 of 1,214
Thanks for the comments. I’m very excited to get my 16’s as they are on the way. Is there a spectrogram for ours out there?
Unfortunately I've never got spectogram measurements work well enough with my minidsp ears. I've also heard that The device is not accurate enough anyway.

Would be interesting if someone could send their Tres to diyaudioheaven or ASR for proper measurements.

Feb 16, 2023 at 2:45 PM Post #820 of 1,214
I think both 16 and 45 ohm versions share a similar kind of Sash Tres sound signature. The differences are not very significant like day and night. Nevertheless, I feel like there is more impact in the bass area of the 16s. And overall, I am under the impression that it hits harder. Or maybe this is just an illusion because it's louder as it's simply easier to drive:laughing: The 45s seem more neutral with more clarity. Maybe the words "veil" or "dark" can be used to describe the 16s when compared to the 45s. So I guess if you want some fun factor, go with the 16s. And if you are into critical listening, go with the 45s.

Feb 16, 2023 at 2:55 PM Post #821 of 1,214
Unfortunately I've never got spectogram measurements work well enough with my minidsp ears. I've also heard that The device is not accurate enough anyway.

Would be interesting if someone could send their Tres to diyaudioheaven or ASR for proper measurements.
Anyone from those places specifically in the US and also reputable (meaning I actually receive them back lol)?

I dont mind sending mine out for a few weeks if it's a benefit to sash owners.

Feb 16, 2023 at 3:18 PM Post #822 of 1,214
I wanted more of the bass so that is why i went with the 16's....now if they would just get here already LOL. It looks like it has been 8 days since shipping...ugg the wait....i have an ibasso dx300 that I cant wait to pair with as well as a SMSL c200...at some point want to get into tubes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back